Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steste

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Basically as the title says.

Can i use someone elses iPhone 4 and register for a free mobile me account and then use that on my 3Gs.

Will this affect anything on their account? Is it even possible to register for more than one free mobile me account from an iphone4?

steste

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
As long as you dont mind the owner of the iphone 4 knowing your every move, then yes you can.

Why would they know my every move? If I create an account in person then sign out of their phone they will not know my details?

EDIT:

Heres my thought process.

1. iPhone 4 owner registers for his free mobile me account and does whatever necessary to get it up and running.
2. iPhone 4 owner logs out of mobile me on his phone from the settings.
3. iPhone 4 owner hands the phone to me and I create ANOTHER free account which I can the log into on my 3Gs
4. I log out of mobile me on iPhone4
5. I return iPhone 4 to owner who then logs in using his own details therefore never knowing my account info.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
OP, you'll be fine. Do the exact steps you just posted and there shouldn't be any problems at all, because as soon as you sign out of the account on their phone the owner of the iPhone 4 won't be able to access your info.

As long as you dont mind the owner of the iphone 4 knowing your every move, then yes you can.

You sign in/activate the service using your own Apple ID, as long as the owner of the iPhone 4 doesn't know the OP's password then no, they will not be able to track them.

steste

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
OP, you'll be fine. Do the exact steps you just posted and there shouldn't be any problems at all, because as soon as you sign out of the account on their phone the owner of the iPhone 4 won't be able to access your info.

You sign in/activate the service using your own Apple ID, as long as the owner of the iPhone 4 doesn't know the OP's password then no, they will not be able to track them.

Thanks for the confirmation. So is there no limit to how many free accounts can be made on the iPhone 4?

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Basically as the title says.

Can i use someone elses iPhone 4 and register for a free mobile me account and then use that on my 3Gs.

Will this affect anything on their account? Is it even possible to register for more than one free mobile me account from an iphone4?

No.

phreebsd

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
according the error mesages in the code, you will not be able.
seems they are tied to the device.

223724-mrme.png

drew68

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I just registered on my buddies iPhone 4. After I verified the account email I recieved on my 3GS, I deleted the account from my friends iPhone 4. No problems at all. My 3GS works perfect on my phone and his works on his phone. When you add another MobileMe account, it will show both accounts on their phone. Just delete yours. I believe another thread said that 1 iPhone 4 can create 5 accounts.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
^ I did the same with for my kid. Used my iPhone 4 to sign her up with a free MobileMe account using her iTunes account info, then deleted the account off my phone. Went to her 2G iPod Touch and set up her MobileMe account and now she can find her iPod Touch (when on WiFi). I didn't even bother waiting for an account verification email (have no idea if she even got one).

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
So I had a feeling and I just confirmed this on my fiancees' phone...

You do not need to create a new free MobileMe account. You can log in with an existing Apple ID on a iPhone 4 which will enable Find My iPhone for that account. Simply log out and log in on your 3g/3gs.. etc and the find my iphone option will be there.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
So I had a feeling and I just confirmed this on my fiancees' phone...

You do not need to create a new free MobileMe account. You can log in with an existing Apple ID on a iPhone 4 which will enable Find My iPhone for that account. Simply log out and log in on your 3g/3gs.. etc and the find my iphone option will be there.
Yes, that's what I did with my daughter, signed in with her iTunes/Apple ID. She didn't have a MobileMe account before this though so this is why I considered it signing up for the free MobileMe account as doing it gave her the free MobileMe with Find My iPhone; she didn't have that perviously.

What are you logging in and out of on the 3GS? If you girlfriend didn't have a MobileMe account set up yet, wouldn't you have to set it up? and if she did have one, well then she already had Find My iPhone.

steste

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I finally got round to doing this.

Worked a treat. Created the account on someone elses iphone 4. Logged in on my 3Gs then logged out of the iphone4 which was then used to create another account for someone else!

Can now log in to the mobile me site and track my phone. The fact I logged out of their iphone 4 completely means they cant see my account at all.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.