Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
England
I am using my new MBA with the Neet Cables HDMi adapter (Audio and Video). Working great but I would like to know if I can close the macbook instead of just turning the brightness right down while watching a movie?

Thanks in advance.

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Yes. You just need a way of waking the system up after it goes to sleep when you close the lid, ie a usb keyboard. I do it all the time with my MBP. Hope that helps.

J

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
England
Yes. You just need a way of waking the system up after it goes to sleep when you close the lid, ie a usb keyboard. I do it all the time with my MBP. Hope that helps.

J

Ah right, might get myself a trackpad in that case, would that work?

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
England

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Very nice info to have. And I've been spending all this time, when I did hook my laptop up to the TV, with it open. I even have a bluetooth keyboard, but I never tried that option. I'll remember that for the next time. That's almost akin to the Ipad being able to still Airplay it's media through ATV even while it's screen is switched off.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks people, I don't have any wireless keyboards or mice spare so I may have to buy something. Hopefully the trackpad wakes it from sleep as a mouse would (as that's all it it really) as I quite fancy one anyway.

If you hit the power button, and immediately shut the lid of the MBA, with the tv connected, the computer will power up on the tv screen. No need to use an external keyboard or anything.

elwood58

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
California
Please keep in mind that all of these solution require the mac to be plugged into power. Clamshell mode is not supported while on battery power.

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
Thank you very much for the tip on plugging the power cable in! I had tried everything but nothing was working. Finally plugged the power cable in and all is well now!

Really wish that was said somewhere before I wasted all the time trying everything!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.