Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenmichi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Up until recently my PowerMac G5 has performed as it should for a computer its age. About two nights ago it shut itself down and I haven't been able to turn it on since. Power does cycle through the unit because all the fans will either cycle once or twice, or at the very least they will twitch.

And now there's a tiny red LED on the motherboard and behind the power button that lights up whenever I try to power on the computer. I'm at a loss for where I need to go from here, though I feel rather certain that my computer has simply passed on...

It's an original 2004 1.6 ghz single processor PowerMac G5, serial number unknown ... since I can't turn it on.

Kenmichi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Maybe it's time to replace your PRAM battery and reset PRAM?

Where can I get a replacement battery and how do I reset it?

I hope that's my only problem, as much as I love my PS3 ... the browser blows.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Where can I get a replacement battery and how do I reset it?

I hope that's my only problem, as much as I love my PS3 ... the browser blows.

Remove your battery first and measure with a multi-meter if their is still enough juice in it...

eshop dot macsales dot com

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
That red light is probably an over-temp for your CPU. Try blowing out all the dust in your G5 if it's very dirty. Check the heat sinks and fans. Your CPU can be dead already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.