Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:20 PM   #1
nutmac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Year of High Definition: Powerbook HD?

At MWSF, Steve Jobs called 2005 a year of High Definition (HD). Could that be a subtle hint towards PowerBook with HD display (1920x1200)? Mac OS X "Tiger" is expected to sport resolution independent UI (we don't know yet how complete the support will be, however) so it seems entirely plausible. Then again, may be not.
nutmac is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:32 PM   #2
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac
At MWSF, Steve Jobs called 2005 a year of High Definition (HD). Could that be a subtle hint towards PowerBook with HD display (1920x1200)? Mac OS X "Tiger" is expected to sport resolution independent UI (we don't know yet how complete the support will be, however) so it seems entirely plausible. Then again, may be not.
The resolution independent UI support is partial, and apps that use custom controls may well need tweeks to support it. It is not going to be exposed to the user in Tiger (Apple have confirmed this). It is selectable via Quartz Debug (part of the developer tools).

I would love a higher resolution 15" PB though.
robbieduncan is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:53 PM   #3
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020
 
ChrisBrightwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
I may be wrong, but Apple seems pretty stuck on the 100dpi "sweet spot" for LCD screens.

I htink the only way we'd see a Powerbook HD is if it's go the 20" LCD in it, which I don't think will happen -- esp if they're still having power issues with the G5. No one wants a Powerbook w/ a 90-minute battery life.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
ChrisBrightwell is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 05:58 PM   #4
carlos700
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrightwell
No one wants a Powerbook w/ a 90-minute battery life.
If no one wanted a 90-minute battery life notebook, then who buys the 2-inch thick Dell and HP/Compaqs. I think Apple could sacrafice battery life for performance. Most high-performance PC notebooks get about an hour with processor running at full speed.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina and iPhone
carlos700 is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:16 PM   #5
SuperChuck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chucktown, SC
Hi. I'm clueless.

Whenever I look at the resolution of HDTVs, they seem pretty pitiful by computer display standards, so why is it that virtually every modern monitor is not capable of HD?
__________________
Mmmm...cheese.
SuperChuck is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:18 PM   #6
sjpetry
macrumors 65816
 
sjpetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrightwell
I may be wrong, but Apple seems pretty stuck on the 100dpi "sweet spot" for LCD screens.

Where can I read up on the screens they seem like higher rez.
sjpetry is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:23 PM   #7
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020
 
ChrisBrightwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos700
If no one wanted a 90-minute battery life notebook, then who buys the 2-inch thick Dell and HP/Compaqs. I think Apple could sacrafice battery life for performance. Most high-performance PC notebooks get about an hour with processor running at full speed.
Two things:

1. I said Powerbook. Not notebook. Not laptop. One of the big selling points, for me, on the Powerbook, is the battery life. I get 4-5 hrs regularly.

2. The biggest screen drain on a notebook/laptop is lighting up the screen. WiFi and Bluetooth pull in a close second, I'd imagine, alongside the hard drive and optical drive. I'm not sure what the drain is on the 23" LCD, but I'd say it's pretty heavy.

Besides -- enough people bitch about how massive the 17" Powerbook is. I really don't think there's a market for a laptop w/ a 23" display.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
ChrisBrightwell is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:51 PM   #8
aswitcher
macrumors 603
 
aswitcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney OZ
Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac
At MWSF, Steve Jobs called 2005 a year of High Definition (HD). Could that be a subtle hint towards PowerBook with HD display (1920x1200)? Mac OS X "Tiger" is expected to sport resolution independent UI (we don't know yet how complete the support will be, however) so it seems entirely plausible. Then again, may be not.

I was just thinking the same thing http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...19#post1222419
__________________
Switcher since June '04
iPhone 4GS | 27" iMac | Elgato EyeTV/IceTV | SecuritySpy User
aswitcher is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Mr. G4
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrightwell
Two things:

1. I said Powerbook. Not notebook. Not laptop. One of the big selling points, for me, on the Powerbook, is the battery life. I get 4-5 hrs regularly.
Which powerbook do you have?
What do you do with your powerbook get this kind of battery life?
With my Powerbook Aluminum 15" I never got over 3 and half hours.
That's including watching movies (DvD or DivX).
__________________
iMac 24"
Mr. G4 is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:55 PM   #10
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck
Whenever I look at the resolution of HDTVs, they seem pretty pitiful by computer display standards, so why is it that virtually every modern monitor is not capable of HD?
HDTV is pretty pitiful by computer display standards. You can display four HD videos at full-resolution on an Apple 30" display. As to your second question, I am not what you mean. If your monitor can display at least 720 horizontal lines, then it can display HDTV. Many HD sources feature computer displays among their output ports.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:57 PM   #11
SuperChuck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chucktown, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
HDTV is pretty pitiful by computer display standards. You can display four HD videos at full-resolution on an Apple 30" display. As to your second question, I am not what you mean. If your monitor can display at least 720 horizontal lines, then it can display HDTV. Many HD sources feature computer displays among their output ports.
Well, then isn't my powerbook already HD?
__________________
Mmmm...cheese.
SuperChuck is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:59 PM   #12
3Memos
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck
Whenever I look at the resolution of HDTVs, they seem pretty pitiful by computer display standards, so why is it that virtually every modern monitor is not capable of HD?
Most, if not all, HDTVs only display 720 pixels vertically. HDTVs coming out this year using the HD3+ chip from Texas Instruments for their DLP line of HDTVs will be able to resolve the full 1080 specification.

An Apple 20" is capable of displaying 720P HDTV video at full resolution.
An Apple 23" is capable of displaying 1080i or 1080P HDTV at full resolution.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:12 PM   #13
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020
 
ChrisBrightwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G4
Which powerbook do you have?
What do you do with your powerbook get this kind of battery life?
With my Powerbook Aluminum 15" I never got over 3 and half hours.
That's including watching movies (DvD or DivX).
See sig for specs.

I do a *lot* of note-taking and Java/C++ dev w/ school. Until recently, I'd turn off AE and BT, mute the speakers, take the optical disc out of the drive, and knock LCD brightness down to 4/16 or 8/16. We have WiFi scattered across campus, so I'll be using that in class where I can.

Under "normal" use (iTunes, WiFi, iChat, maybe a DVD), I get 2.5-3 hrs. If I'm spinning a DVD the whole time, I get 2 hrs.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

Last edited by ChrisBrightwell; Jan 18, 2005 at 11:57 PM.
ChrisBrightwell is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
With the huge difference in GPUs for the low/high end 15, is this the year of the 17? Bobby Corwen MacBook Pro 69 Mar 8, 2011 09:50 PM
Year of the Rabbit Voice Greetings for iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch sparkso iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Jan 27, 2011 12:44 AM
A HD solution to hold 5 months of High Def footy needed jammiefreerider Digital Video 12 Nov 10, 2008 05:22 PM
FOR SALE: G4 POWERBOOK WITH 2 YEARS OF APPLECARE!! PaRaGoNViCtiM Marketplace Archive 1 (Posts count) 0 May 19, 2005 05:47 PM
Brand New 12" Powerbook with tons of high end software? rollincatera Marketplace Archive 1 (Posts count) 1 Jul 19, 2004 07:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC