Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrewD67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Peterborough, UK
Got my nice new 13" MBA (my first apple laptop) and all is going really well, until it comes to activate the pre-installed microsoft office :rolleyes:

The product key is not recognised, and from what I can tell the version installed is different to the one they sent out, is my only option to uninstall and re-install?

cheers,

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
When I ordered my 13" MBA, it came with Office 2008 pre-installed. At the time, Office 2011 (current version) was days away from release.

Once I got it, I just went to the Microsoft website and filled out the online form for the free upgrade. Within a few days of providing them proof of purchase, I was sent a link to download Ofc 2011....a 2-license copy actually since they changed the way they license Office now.

So I'm not sure what you mean by your MBA came with "the wrong version" installed. Care to elaborate?

DrewD67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Peterborough, UK
sorry for not giving enough details, I seem to have the disk and key for Home & Student, but have the Full version installed.

Either that or the key on the disk is not valid.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
sorry for not giving enough details, I seem to have the disk and key for Home & Student, but have the Full version installed.

Either that or the key on the disk is not valid.

OK then....I'm guessing this was a CTO build assembled in Shanghai?

If so it appears they fulfilled your order incorrectly as there is a price difference between the Student and Professional editions of Office 2011. I'd suggest you contact Apple at their 1800 line, explain the problem and see if they can't fix it for you without requiring a return. There's nothing wrong with the machine itself, but the way MS licensing works, who knows if this can be addressed at a Genius Bar or not.

Good luck....they are usually very good at fixing things without too much hassle on your part.

DrewD67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Peterborough, UK
OK then....I'm guessing this was a CTO build assembled in Shanghai?

If so it appears they fulfilled your order incorrectly as there is a price difference between the Student and Professional editions of Office 2011. I'd suggest you contact Apple at their 1800 line, explain the problem and see if they can't fix it for you without requiring a return. There's nothing wrong with the machine itself, but the way MS licensing works, who knows if this can be addressed at a Genius Bar or not.

Good luck....they are usually very good at fixing things without too much hassle on your part.

Thanks for the advice, as in the UK will have to wait till tomorrow to call I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.