Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
backinblack875
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to backinblack875
how to rip tv shows with handbrake???

how do you rip a tv show with handbrake so that it rips the episodes into separate files, so i can add them into itunes tv show section????

when i click on source and find my inserted DVD i shows this:

how do i know which to choose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 8.33.27 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	262366  
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Once you have loaded the DVD into Handbrake, it will will show different titles with their run-times. Look for titles around 25 mins or 55 mins in length and those will be the episodes on the DVD. So if it's a DVD with four episodes that were broadcast in a 30 minute timeslot, you will see four titles each about 25 minutes in length. Add each title to your queue.
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:44 PM   #3
aelalfy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblack875 View Post
how do you rip a tv show with handbrake so that it rips the episodes into separate files, so i can add them into itunes tv show section????

when i click on source and find my inserted DVD i shows this:

how do i know which to choose?
Hi, .

I personally recommend iFlicks because it tags things properly to iTunes. Check it out.
Use the "HD 720p" preset and it will tag encode and put the files on iTunes by itself.

Thanks
AE
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:57 PM   #4
backinblack875
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to backinblack875
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
Once you have loaded the DVD into Handbrake, it will will show different titles with their run-times. Look for titles around 25 mins or 55 mins in length and those will be the episodes on the DVD. So if it's a DVD with four episodes that were broadcast in a 30 minute timeslot, you will see four titles each about 25 minutes in length. Add each title to your queue.
seemed to work but this is what shows up under the titles....there is only 6 episodes on the DVD with 30 min run time so they would be around 25mins....how do i know which to choose they are like 8 or 10 that long....do i just do the first 6 titles?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 8.56.12 PM.png
Views:	13
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	262367  
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:29 PM   #5
MRiOS
macrumors regular

usually the first xx number of titles are the regular episodes, the extra titles are usually either the commentary versions, or they may be special features also on the disc. You can use the preview window (there should be a button with that name in the toolbar) to look at different sections then you can temporarily render and play a small bit to see what the title is.

I used xx for the number because not all discs contain 6 episodes, in your case there should be six regular episodes and the others are either of the options stated above.
MRiOS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:42 PM   #6
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

When I can't tell which "titles" in Handbrake correspond to which episodes on the DVD I play the disk in the DVD Player application and make note of the run times for each episode (start the episode and look at the scrubber bar to see how long it runs). THen you can compare run times to the times in Handbrake to figure out which is which.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:24 AM   #7
MCRunning
macrumors 6502

You could also select the title and choose the preview window and see if it is the commentary episode or not
MCRunning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

When I rip TV episodes using Handbrake, I use DVD Player 1st and note which title goes with which episode. If you don't know for sure the title number for each episode, your results will be hit or miss.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:23 AM   #9
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

For the most part, Handbrake places the actual episodes at the beginning of the list. So for a 6 episode disc, the first 6 in the list are the episodes. That's how it's been for me for almost every TV show I've ripped.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:26 PM   #10
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 View Post
For the most part, Handbrake places the actual episodes at the beginning of the list. So for a 6 episode disc, the first 6 in the list are the episodes. That's how it's been for me for almost every TV show I've ripped.
It's been my experience that Handbrake puts the titles in numeric order. However, HB has no idea which titles are actual episodes. It really depends on how the disc is authored. I recently worked with some DVDs where the first 3 episodes were titles 1-3, but the 4th would be some other (apparently random) title, like 7 or 8. I've also worked with DVDs that had something like 99 titles and the episodes were spaced out throughout, but were never sequential.

The fact of the matter is that you cannot count on titles starting with 1 and going sequentially. You need to figure out what the actual title numbers are (most likely by playing the DVD) and selecting those title numbers in Handbrake.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater