Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIS2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
OK so this is probably a dumb question, but I looked a tthe iLife site and didn't see it. If i buy the regular iLife (NOT family version), how many computers can I put it on? If I have 2 powerbooks, can I put it on both?

Thanks.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Legally, just one. There might be some sort of desktop/notebook workaround, but I think it's per-device.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
*Gasp* Seriously? The family pack wasn't on the Canadian education page, so I just figured they'd merged them as part of the price hike (hey, it'd be nice) but now I see it's on the normal Canadian page. I've already ordered and was planning on putting it on my iMac and a laptop... Frick.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Looks like Apple is finally cracking down. Previously, there was essentially no checking. I suppose the mini will substantially raise the number of multi-Mac families out there. There goes buying the mini just to yank iLife off of it and stash in on my PM.... ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
sjpetry said:
Even if you try to put it on more than 1 computer it won't let you. :cool:
Are you sure? It's never been like that before. Not that I do that :cough: but I guess if it's true, that's why the Family Pack is only $20 more American. It's even worth it for 2 or 3 Macs. I'm sure the Canadian store will update with info on it soon, but you could always call them if it's still not there by the 22nd.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
my understanding is that you are legally entitled to put it on one laptop and one desktop for your personal use. Even M$ allows that, I'm pretty sure. It would really bite if apple wouldn't allow that... seems like "fair use" to me!

(not to mention the fact that I think it will really encourage piracy if they are so strict as to thwart legitimate fair use)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
QCassidy352 said:
my understanding is that you are legally entitled to put it on one laptop and one desktop for your personal use. Even M$ allows that, I'm pretty sure. It would really bite if apple wouldn't allow that... seems like "fair use" to me!

(not to mention the fact that I think it will really encourage piracy if they are so strict as to thwart legitimate fair use)

You are legally entitled to whatever the end user license agreement entitles you to, no more and no less. Have you read the EULA? Didn't think so. Apple owns the software, you don't - the EULA is the legal contract between yourself and Apple to allow you to use the software under term of the license. http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

"This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time."

*Certain MS products* allow you to install on a desktop and a laptop, as long as one of them is used no more than 20% of the time -- that is a provision in MS's EULA on some but not all of their desktop applications.

"Fair Use" has nothing to do with it - that is a term with a specific meaning. http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

If you are in the US, under the Copyright Law (Title 17) you may make a copy of computer software media for backup purposes only; but not for installing on another machine. http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#117 Other countries may vary.

The option for multiple machines is to spend $20 more for the Family pack. Apple does more than most companies to encourage, not thwart, legitimate use.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
CanadaRAM said:
You are legally entitled to whatever the end user license agreement entitles you to, no more and no less. Have you read the EULA? Didn't think so. Apple owns the software, you don't - the EULA is the legal contract between yourself and Apple to allow you to use the software under term of the license. http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

i'm pretty sure the link to that site is neither printed o nthe box of the computer or ilife ;)
hm iLife'05 is not listed either..so according the law here most "eulas" are completly useless/invalid

and any vendor has only to make _one_ mistake in the EULA (like taking away customer right) and it's invalid as well..like for example it happens/happend with microsoft EULAs where _they_ got sued..

EULAs aren't something where companies can simply demand things and do what they want

at leasts it's this way here (of course some parts like certain copyright parts are seperate laws but those don't include laws concerning on how much pcs you can install it)

and i seriously doubt that apple will use some kind of registration/activation thing microsoft does where you call via phone or something like that

for your conscience go with the family pack... it's not that much more like it is with other software vendors

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Previously iLife had no serial number so there was no way of knowing if you were running the same copy on two machines. I don't know if iLife now has a serial number - does anyone know?

Anyway, as others have said the 'family' version is pretty reasonable actually if you want to stay 'legal'

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
takao said:
i'm pretty sure the link to that site is neither printed o nthe box of the computer or ilife ;)
hm iLife'05 is not listed either..so according the law here most "eulas" are completly useless/invalid

Usually the EULAs are printed on the envelope that the CD comes in (called a "shrinkwrap agreement" in that you agree to it by opening the envelope), and/or in the Installer process where you have to agree to the license to proceed with the installation.

Around here, the issue was that if the license was not readable before you purchased it (that is, on the outside of the box), then the seller could not refuse to take a return of the open box once you had a chance to read the license agreement inside the box. But you couldn't open the CD envelope with the agreement printed on it, and still return it after that.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
chameeeleon said:
*Gasp* Seriously? The family pack wasn't on the Canadian education page, so I just figured they'd merged them as part of the price hike (hey, it'd be nice) but now I see it's on the normal Canadian page. I've already ordered and was planning on putting it on my iMac and a laptop... Frick.

The educational price isn't available with the family pack. Apple just doesn't allow its software on more than one CPU. That is why they offer the family pack, which is a good deal when it allows installation on up to five Mac's. It's a great deal even without the discount, especially if you have more than two computers. Family pack $99, two at regular price would be $148.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I'll catch grief for this , but that's OK- I'm a big boy, I can handle it, I view it as a personal license or single user license, & since I'm the only user that has access to my desktop & laptop I'm putting my single user version on both... I know, I know , everyones gonna say "don't take money from Apples' pockets"- in reality I put more than enough money in Apples pocket that I can install this w/out guilt... Sorry, but when it comes to digging in our pockets Apple is second to none- there up there w/ Disney in that area...

BIS2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
OK, an additional question.....

Thanks for the info. Actually I'm a teacher so the price difference for me is $40, which is a bit more but not the end of the world. So my next question is, has anyone found the family pack listed at an EDU price? When I go to the education store, the family pack doesn't seem to be listed as an option.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
if your buying it for your family its unlikely they're all students so I think apple only sells single edu units.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
So just to clarify...I wont be able to install iWork on my desktop and my laptop? To do this I will have to buy two separate copies?

Surely that can't be right.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
munkle said:
So just to clarify...I wont be able to install iWork on my desktop and my laptop? To do this I will have to buy two separate copies?

Surely that can't be right.
Legally it looks like this is the case though unless you have the software actually running on both machines at the same time it probably won't be able to tell. I'm not telling you to do this but this is most likely the case.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
caveman_uk said:
Legally it looks like this is the case though unless you have the software actually running on both machines at the same time it probably won't be able to tell. I'm not telling you to do this but this is most likely the case.

If iWork requires a serial number, is it even going to be possible to install it on two different machines?

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
sjpetry said:
Even if you try to put it on more than 1 computer it won't let you. :cool:

Hmmmm. Obviously I would never do this :rolleyes: but hypothetically, you're wrong.

And it is very tight of Apple not to let you put the software on your desktop and laptop. You'd think that they would reward people who buy one of each.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Yes, as a matter of fact. I have a copy of iWork/iPhoto/iMovie. ('05) There is a seiral # for iWork. However all it does is ask you for the #, you put it in and go on about your life. Nothing special. I also have iLife '05 and iWork installed on two separate computers. So I hope this anwsers some questions.

PS. iWork r0x0rZ

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
As many as you can get away with.

BIS2 said:
OK so this is probably a dumb question, but I looked a tthe iLife site and didn't see it. If i buy the regular iLife (NOT family version), how many computers can I put it on? If I have 2 powerbooks, can I put it on both?

Thanks.

Unless iLife 05 actually stops you installng on multiple Macs then you can install on as many as you like.

All software is overpriced, including from Apple and i have no problem breaking "home licenses".

Others do differ from me but if you've paid your money....

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Usually these things check over a network, if you have say Keynote open on one machine with a serial number then try and open it on another machine in the same subnet then it will error saying there is already a user with that serial on the network.

I can't see iLife doing this sort of check, which app's would they build this into? iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto?? They wouldn't put a random key on the cd as they are printed from gold masters, this would be far too expensive.

Unless it's in the installer, in which case pull your network cable out, install it and bobs your uncle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.