Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 1, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1
mhou85
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro won't boot with Installation Disk

Hi all,

I have trouble booting from the Snow Leopard Installation Disk.

My MacbookPro is 15" mid 2010 i7

I was able to boot into the OS perfectly fine and read the disk properly and reboot into verbose mode and found that it is stuck while loading extensions.mkext

Here is the symptom

I can boot up to OSX and use it without a problem, also bootcamp works. My mbp is updated with everything. I am certain that my disk is not the problem and I have successfully installed the OS onto momentus XT after I purchased the mpb back in july. (I believe the SMC/EFI has been updated AFTER july? so could it be a problem?)

here is what I have tried,

- I restored the disk onto a USB flashdrive and still gets stuck with usb
- I tried the disk and usb on another mac and it boot up fine.
- I reset PRAM / SMC / RAM(by swapping them)
- I tried a different hard drive.
- I used Techtool Pro and everything is fine.
- I bought it to genius bar and they ran diagnostic and couldn't find anything wrong, and they tried with their firewire drive to install and it is the same thing.
They want to send in my machine but I need it for my project until the end of semester.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
mhou85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 05:25 AM   #2
yamamushi
macrumors newbie

I'm having this exact same issue. I also don't have the original restoration cd's that came with my macbook pro, so I was trying to use the snow leopard install cd from last year.

Something tells me that this could be resolved if I had the original cd's that came with my macbook, but I will update with my findings after my return from the genius bar in the morning.
yamamushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 08:14 AM   #3
dslade09
macrumors member

Make sure that the OSX disk is 10.6.3 or higher. The 2010 generation Macbook Pro's have to use that current disk to boot (off disk) to because of drivers.
dslade09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 08:37 AM   #4
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

Most 2010 Macs will need 10.6.4 retail or higher to boot. The version of 10.6.3 bundled with the computers has drivers not included in the retail version (because they didn't exist when the discs were pressed).

Macbook Pro 15"
8GB DDR3 RAM
iPhone 6 Silver
crazzyeddie is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:05 PM   #5
khanbaba
macrumors newbie

Same issue

so did anyone come up with a solution for this issue?
khanbaba is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro