Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
First off let me say I am aware that there are several threads on this.

My iPhone 4 is stuck in recovery mode. I'm getting the itunes 1013 error and i've found a few things after searching on Google.

This being one: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/iphone_4_update_ios_421_gone_sour_how_fix_itunes_error_1013

I have never done this type of thing on the Macbook before. I get to the part where it says to arrow down. . but i dont undertand how to use the # that the instructions are saying. Can someone give me a visual guide? It would be so appreciated!!

Thanks!!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
First off let me say I am aware that there are several threads on this.

My iPhone 4 is stuck in recovery mode. I'm getting the itunes 1013 error and i've found a few things after searching on Google.

This being one: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/iphone_4_update_ios_421_gone_sour_how_fix_itunes_error_1013

I have never done this type of thing on the Macbook before. I get to the part where it says to arrow down. . but i dont undertand how to use the # that the instructions are saying. Can someone give me a visual guide? It would be so appreciated!!

Thanks!!

You're getting the 1003 error because you're trying to restore to firmware that Apple is signing anymore on their severs.

Was your iPhone jailbroken?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-01 at 9.47.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-01 at 9.47.56 PM.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 181

Zord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
You're getting the 1003 error because you're trying to restore to firmware that Apple is signing anymore on their severs.

Was your iPhone jailbroken?

I am getting the 1013 error and yes my iPhone was jailbroken.

I am trying to update to 4.2

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I am getting the !013 error and yes my iPhone was jailbroken.

I am trying to update to 4.2

4.2 is no longer being signed. You have to update to 4.2.1 (that's why you're getting the error).

In my above post is a screenshot of what the article was talking about.

Zord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
4.2 is no longer being signed. You have to update to 4.2.1 (that's why you're getting the error).

In my above post is a screenshot of what the article was talking about.

Ok, let me put it this way. . . my iPhone is in recovery mode. When I click restore in itunes I get the 1013 error. I'm assuming that iTunes will be trying to update to 4.2.1?

What do you suggest to fix this? Thank you for your help man!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Ok, let me put it this way. . . my iPhone is in recovery mode. When I click restore in itunes I get the 1013 error. I'm assuming that iTunes will be trying to update to 4.2.1?

What do you suggest to fix this? Thank you for your help man!

Yeah. Restore it back to 4.2.1.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
i am having the same issue as the op. itunes is trying to restore to the newest, latest and greatest, ios 4.2.1 and i get the error 1013.

I am on the phone with apple now, and he is saying that its a hardware issue. i am going to try the instructions that were posted above if he cant figure anything else out.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
i am having the same issue as the op. itunes is trying to restore to the newest, latest and greatest, ios 4.2.1 and i get the error 1013.

I am on the phone with apple now, and he is saying that its a hardware issue. i am going to try the instructions that were posted above if he cant figure anything else out.

A lot of people are getting this error. So I doubt hundreds of iPhones are magically having hardware problems. Try restoring your iPhone on another computer and make sure you have iTunes 10.1

So far nothing good has come out of 4.2/4.2.1 besides headaches caused by Apple.

KoL

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Puerto Rico
I always get that error when restoring. I don't know why. I use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
i didnt even think about using TU to kick it out, i figured that the ios didnt get finished..

I followed the link above and followed the instructions (for windows), i had to run notepad as the administrator, then i tried to restore again. IT WORKED!!! i have a working iphone 4 again, running 4.2.1

just follow the link and do what it says, i cant help the op because he is trying it on a mac, sorry.

I spoke with two apple tech's on the phone and both didnt know what i was talking about. so good luck getting help from them. thank god for macrumors.

Last edited:

Zord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
A lot of people are getting this error. So I doubt hundreds of iPhones are magically having hardware problems. Try restoring your iPhone on another computer and make sure you have iTunes 10.1

So far nothing good has come out of 4.2/4.2.1 besides headaches caused by Apple.

This is what finally worked for me. I restored on another Mac (Set up as new iPhone) and then once I got it back on my Macbook I just restored from a previous backup. Worked great!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This is what finally worked for me. I restored on another Mac (Set up as new iPhone) and then once I got it back on my Macbook I just restored from a previous backup. Worked great!

Your host file must be set for Cydia and not Apple.

if you want to use your own MBP or anyone else have this issues, just open terminal and ping gs.apple.com

If you get 74.208.10.249 or something on that range, your host file is set to look at Cydia's servers (you may have used Tiny Umbrella before and it used to close without changing the host file back) Specially if you are or have been Jailbroken before.

if that is the case just edit your host file to look for Apple's server, you can search or google for detail step by step on how to do that.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Mine did the same thing as well so I went to a different computer than I had no changed the hosts file on and it worked perfectly. Not sure if the host changing is whats causing the issue but later I found out that using tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery will work as well. Just used it to downgrade back to 4.1 had that error message again and tiny umbrella got me booted right up!! great program

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
Host files! Why did I never realise this before! I remember changing them to Cydia ages ago.

Zord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Your host file must be set for Cydia and not Apple.

if you want to use your own MBP or anyone else have this issues, just open terminal and ping gs.apple.com

If you get 74.208.10.249 or something on that range, your host file is set to look at Cydia's servers (you may have used Tiny Umbrella before and it used to close without changing the host file back) Specially if you are or have been Jailbroken before.

if that is the case just edit your host file to look for Apple's server, you can search or google for detail step by step on how to do that.

Good to know!! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.