Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 2, 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
octoberstar
macrumors newbie

Cursors Gets Stuck in Drag, Will Not Drop - mouse & trackpad

Hi everyone,

Just in time for my final project in design studio: I am no longer able to drag and drop. I can't drag a file from one folder to another or to the trashcan. I can't pick things up and move them in any application, such as Photoshop or Illustrator.

When I attempt to drag something, I click, the cursor picks it up, and then... I can't drop it anywhere. Everywhere I move the mouse, the object or icon goes. Nothing I do will make it drop. I have to command+option+esc to open up Force Quit. Once I force quit the application I initiated the drag in, the problem goes away.

The problem is not associated with the trackpad. It persists even when using my old USB mouse and with my mighty mouse. I have all one-touch settings turned off. See attached screen caps of my trackpad, mouse, and universal access settings.

Please help! I can't do any design work without dragging!

- octoberstar
octoberstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 01:10 AM   #2
octoberstar
macrumors newbie

sorry, here are my attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-12-01 at 10.58.59 PM.png
Views:	43
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	262538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-12-01 at 10.58.48 PM.png
Views:	51
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	262539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-12-01 at 10.58.34 PM.png
Views:	48
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	262540  

Old Dec 2, 2010, 01:12 AM   #3
tjb1
macrumors 68000

There is no pictures?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 01:44 AM   #4
octoberstar
macrumors newbie

Please see my second post for screen caps.

Also, I realized I forgot to give my model: MacBook Pro 2008 model, v 10.6.4, 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:03 PM   #5
valdevi
macrumors newbie

Cursor Drag

My MBPro is less than 6 mo old and i have had the problem of the drag getting stuck since i got it. i've taken it to 2 genius geeks in 2 different cities and they could not figure it out...said they've never seen the problem.
From what I've read this problem has been going on now for 4 years!
Hey if any of you Mac specialized trainers see this, please plea for us!
It'd s real drag mac hasn't fixed this yet.
valdevi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:13 PM   #6
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdevi View Post
My MBPro is less than 6 mo old and i have had the problem of the drag getting stuck since i got it. i've taken it to 2 genius geeks in 2 different cities and they could not figure it out...said they've never seen the problem.
From what I've read this problem has been going on now for 4 years!
Hey if any of you Mac specialized trainers see this, please plea for us!
It'd s real drag mac hasn't fixed this yet.
What version of the operating system are you using? The Magic Trackpad update that came after 10.6.4 caused issues like that. Updating to 10.6.5 or 10.6.6 solved it.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:22 AM   #7
krspond
macrumors newbie

I know it sounds dumb...

I had this problem. For me, I discovered that the problem was being caused by leaving my Magic Mouse on while it was in my backpack and in close proximity to my MacBook. I would move the bag and something would click it and cause it to stay down in the drag position. I know it probably isn't your issue, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

-KRS
krspond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:27 AM   #8
adambyte
macrumors newbie

Me too! Fun!

I love coming to a forum and finding the exact same obscure problem that I am having, only to find that nobody has managed to solve it even years later.

And so now I am here, having the same problem. Cursor gets stuck as soon as I drag something, and won't let go no matter what.

Restarts, shutting down, turning off the trackpad of my MacBook Pro when a mouse is plugged in... All sorts of stuff doesn't help.

And then, like magic, it will start working fine again, like voodoo.
adambyte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:07 AM   #9
chrisperro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambyte View Post
I love coming to a forum and finding the exact same obscure problem that I am having, only to find that nobody has managed to solve it even years later.

And so now I am here, having the same problem. Cursor gets stuck as soon as I drag something, and won't let go no matter what.

Restarts, shutting down, turning off the trackpad of my MacBook Pro when a mouse is plugged in... All sorts of stuff doesn't help.

And then, like magic, it will start working fine again, like voodoo.
by any chance you ever install air parrot? or any type of Airplay third party application
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Ravaliya
macrumors newbie

Has anyone solved this problem yet? i'm getting the same problem and its driving me nuts. I'm on 10.8.2 on MacBookPro 15inch Late 2008.

Its happening across the OS when i'm moving files or even just clicking files to be honest. More annoyingly its happening in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign which is really causing problem while i'm trying to work.

I'm about to crack and get a new iMac if I can't get this resolved its driving me bonkers.
Ravaliya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
mibrenner
macrumors newbie

I found a solution on another thread ("drag n drop not dropping"):

Put your computer to Sleep and then wake it back up and it might resolve the problem. It did for me.
mibrenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro