Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qusus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
I know there are people in these forums who have an Apple LED Cinema Display hooked up to a PC with a Mini-DP to DVI converter.

My question is, how do you guys adjust the brightness of the display? Is it always just left at max brightness? Does the LED Cinema retain the display brightness of the last time it was used... for example, if I hooked up a Macbook Pro to it first, turn the brightness down to halfway, and then hooked up my PC, would the brightness then be at half instead of full?

Also, is there any way to get the USB sound to work with a PC?

Thanks in advance!

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
The Apple LED Cinema Display 27" is fully functional with a PC. I plugged the display's USB cable into my PC and everything worked (speakers, camera, USB ports, etc.)

Brightness control works fine on PCs and does not even require BootCamp. All you need is AppleControlPanel.exe which can be downloaded from here (http://rapidshare.com/files/424506361/AppleControlPanel.zip)

Qusus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Brightness or backlight?

Actually, I just want to be clear, does this AppleControlPanel.exe actually let you control the backlight on an LED Cinema Display, like it does on regular Macs? Or does it simply let you dim the brightness?

I'm looking to dim the backlight, as simply controlling the brightness (via Windows or Nvidia software) in my experience, does not give you same picture quality on these LED Cinemas.

Thanks again.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Qusus,

AppleControlPanel.exe allows you to adjust the actual backlight on the Apple LED Cinema Display 27". I have a PC with Windows 7 x64 and it works just like a real Mac. :)

(I actually extracted this file from the official Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update with UniExtract. BootCamp uses this same AppleControlPanel.exe file for backlight control for real Macs running Windows.)

Last edited:

Qusus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Awesome. Thanks for the link to AppleControlPanel.

Can't wait to enjoy an Apple LED Cinema with my PC.:)

simplybrianp

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
It does not work

The file linked in this post does not work. Anyone else gotten this to work?

64 bit Windows 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.