Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Has anyone had trouble with the idisk or screen sharing being really slow lately? I mean I know idisk is always slow, but recently it seems as if it has become even more slow. Also screen sharing seems to be really slow as well, whereas before I was not ever really having a problem.

I checked the upload speed of the 2 computers I'm trying to use and they are both fine (one is 3mbps upload, the other almost 100) so I don't think it is some kind of connection problem.

The only change I can think of is that I upgraded one of the computers (the one on the faster connection) to snow leopard but if anything, this should have sped things up, not slowed them down...

any ideas? anyone else experience particularly slow performance lately?

Ruahrc

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
BTMM is primarily P2P, so your internet connection speed both at the source Mac and client Mac is going to dictate the quality.

iDisk is straight to Apple's servers. When you're uploading, open Activity Monitor and see what the network section is showing for your upload speed.

If it helps, here is a screenshot while I was uploading a large file to my iDisk. 277KBps = 2.2Mbps (my upstream is 2Mbps so it's tapped out)

iDisk.png

Incidentally, I thought the stream quality was quite clean.... if you're uploading a large, single file, it should look like this...otherwise, you could have a hiccup somewhere in between you, you'r ISP, and Apple. Not that it'll help but you can always run a Traceroute through Network Utility and see if there is a hiccup somewhere between you and http://www.me.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.