Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Dec 3, 2010, 03:48 AM   #1
dmtetard
macrumors newbie

Fast search from mac on a windows volume?

I'm working in a small graphic firm.
We use a server with Windows Server 2003 as fileserver and we have 3 mac workstations connected to it through an smb share.

The speed for searching on the network volume is really slow (up to 2 minutes for searching from the root), so i assume this isn't an indexed search: the client computer has to scan every folder resulting in very slow search performance.

I tried setting up an afp share with the trial of ExtremeZ-IP, which runs on the windows server and serves an index (search on filename only) or spotlight search (search on file content, using the "windows search" index). In this case the search is performed on the server side looking into the index, and sending the search results to the client computer. ExtremeZ-IP gives me very fast results (a few seconds max). But... ExtremeZ-IP costs 795$, which is too expensive for us.

Are there other ways to perform fast searches from a mac onto a windows volume?
dmtetard is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking