Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:26 PM   #1
samk8000
macrumors regular

iPad allowed in elementary schools

I am in grade 8 in Ontario and I see people using laptops in class and I am wondering if it would be a safe bet that they would allow me to use my iPad in schools
iPad 3rd Generation 32gb, black
samk8000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Dragoro
macrumors 6502

Cant hurt to try. Whats the worst that can happen? They confiscate it till end of day and give it back?

You could always just go into the office and ask one of the secretarys or the principle and see what they say. Believe it or not, they arent out to get ya lol.
Dragoro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

laptops in 8th grade? for what?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:39 PM   #4
samk8000
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
Taking notes and doing assignments.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:40 PM   #5
samk8000
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Cant hurt to try. Whats the worst that can happen? They confiscate it till end of day and give it back?

You could always just go into the office and ask one of the secretarys or the principle and see what they say. Believe it or not, they arent out to get ya lol.
Thanks, how is printing on the iPad, is airprint easy to use?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Dragoro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk8000 View Post
Thanks, how is printing on the iPad, is airprint easy to use?
That I dont know, havent done it myself.
Dragoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Evmanw
macrumors regular

I am in 8th grade and I bring my laptop in 2-3 days a week and I see other people bring in laptops and iPads all the time!

I am sooooo getting the next iPad to bring to school just because it is lighter (and it double duties as fun at home :-)

Last edited by Evmanw; Dec 3, 2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: grammer
Evmanw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 06:40 AM   #8
samk8000
macrumors regular

The only thing I'd worry about would be the fact that the printer isn't wireless can't the iPad can't print without wireless so I'd have to print everything at home or email a document to myself to print.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 07:15 AM   #9
iRance
macrumors regular

Wait...8th grade is part of elementary school?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 08:27 AM   #10
samk8000
macrumors regular

It is in Canada, in the US it's middle school, and in UK it's high school.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:09 AM   #11
TomCondon
macrumors regular

Pen and Paper does have its advantages over typing in the classroom, especially at that level.
TomCondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Drewsky87
macrumors 6502

It's hard to practice cursive on an iPad.

The real question is, when did elementary/middle schools get wifi? I was lucky if there was an extra 5 1/4" floppy disk copy of Oregon Trail when I was in elementary school.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:06 AM   #13
IamHermann0069
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to IamHermann0069 Send a message via Skype™ to IamHermann0069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky87 View Post
It's hard to practice cursive on an iPad.

The real question is, when did elementary/middle schools get wifi? I was lucky if there was an extra 5 1/4" floppy disk copy of Oregon Trail when I was in elementary school.
Who writes in cursive anymore? Actually... Who writes anymore? haha But I would almost bet that there is an app for that. If not, a MacRumors reader is off to his computer to design iCursive as we speak. lol

I do miss the old floppy disk Oregon Trail on a black and green, or blue and white screened computer. I loved growing up in the 90's. I was in school through this entire transformation of technology (graduated college in May). It has been crazy how far computers and phones have come in that short period of time, and I was lucky enough to experience all of it.

To me iPads really make sense in a learning environment. I also think iPads are going to be implemented everywhere. The possibilities for iPads are INCREDIBLE! We just need more businesses to step up and get the apps out!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:13 PM   #14
Drewsky87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHermann0069 View Post
Who writes in cursive anymore? Actually... Who writes anymore? haha But I would almost bet that there is an app for that. If not, a MacRumors reader is off to his computer to design iCursive as we speak. lol

I do miss the old floppy disk Oregon Trail on a black and green, or blue and white screened computer. I loved growing up in the 90's. I was in school through this entire transformation of technology (graduated college in May). It has been crazy how far computers and phones have come in that short period of time, and I was lucky enough to experience all of it.

To me iPads really make sense in a learning environment. I also think iPads are going to be implemented everywhere. The possibilities for iPads are INCREDIBLE! We just need more businesses to step up and get the apps out!
Lol yeah, I just wish I could see the look on the OP's face when he's like "floppy disks were never that big, and what the heck is Oregon Trail??"
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:40 PM   #15
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
I am in grade 8 in Ontario and I see people using laptops in class and I am wondering if it would be a safe bet that they would allow me to use my iPad in schools
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
Quote:
Taking notes and doing assignments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evmanw View Post
I am in 8th grade and I bring my laptop in 2-3 days a week and I see other people bring in laptops and iPads all the time!

I am sooooo getting the next iPad to bring to school just because it is lighter (and it double duties as fun at home :-)
When I was in 8Th Grade, we always did stuff on paper. It feels weird thinking about bringing computers to school. However, we had a class set of laptops (iBook G4s) to do any online activities. We used them rarely, maybe 2 times a month. Same thing in high school - no one really brings laptops. I haven't seen any in class but I see a few around campus. We also have a class set of MacBooks though - which we use to take tests and some activities (my school is trying to go green)
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:50 PM   #16
McGilli
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It is in Canada, in the US it's middle school, and in UK it's high school.
Not in Western Canada. Elementary only goes up to Gr.7 over here.
McGilli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:50 PM   #17
pvmacguy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky87 View Post
Lol yeah, I just wish I could see the look on the OP's face when he's like "floppy disks were never that big, and what the heck is Oregon Trail??"
I remember playing Oregon Trail and Nanosaur in elementary school alllllll the time. Good times....
pvmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 03:28 PM   #18
zstern702
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvmacguy View Post
I remember playing Oregon Trail and Nanosaur in elementary school alllllll the time. Good times....
thoes were the times!!
zstern702 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 04:36 PM   #19
tablo13
macrumors 65816

Wow, I'm grade 8 and I live in Edmonton, we don't use our own laptops. Do grade 8s in Ontario write notes that much? People just use their iPod touches to secretly play games in spare class time
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:38 PM   #20
sirenized
macrumors member

Quote:
I dont see why not. My friends son is in the 5th grade and the school assigned MacBook airs and iPads to them the first day of school. Most assignments are done via iPad and submitted via email to the teacher. Large assignments requiring word etc are done on the air. And the print function works fine for him also.
sirenized is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 09:47 PM   #21
hockeyhammer
macrumors regular

Im in grade 7 in Ontario and we are allowed to use our laptops in class, I will be using my MBA when I get it (hopefully soon after Christmas) I was also part of a group that entered our school in a contest to win a $20,000 grant from best buy for technology, so hopefully if we win we will become more forward in tech and have an apple computer lab!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:05 PM   #22
Drewsky87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirenized View Post
I dont see why not. My friends son is in the 5th grade and the school assigned MacBook airs and iPads to them the first day of school. Most assignments are done via iPad and submitted via email to the teacher. Large assignments requiring word etc are done on the air. And the print function works fine for him also.
What school in their right mind would hand out MBAs and iPads to a bunch of 10 year olds? I just don't see that necessary. This has got to be either a VERY expensive private school or the parents were required to put down one hell of a security deposit. I'm sorry, but you just don't hand out $1500+ (and I'm going by US prices here, not sure where you are) worth of technology to a 10 year old.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:09 PM   #23
Drewsky87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhammer View Post
Im in grade 7 in Ontario and we are allowed to use our laptops in class, I will be using my MBA when I get it (hopefully soon after Christmas) I was also part of a group that entered our school in a contest to win a $20,000 grant from best buy for technology, so hopefully if we win we will become more forward in tech and have an apple computer lab!
Don't count on it being a big lab unless your school is willing to put forth a good chunk of their own money.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 01:42 AM   #24
IamHermann0069
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to IamHermann0069 Send a message via Skype™ to IamHermann0069
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvmacguy View Post
Number Munchers anyone???? CLASSIC!!!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 04:17 AM   #25
Alvi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evmanw View Post
What makes you so sure it will be lighter? I doubt apple will change the design in the 2nd gen, I'd rather imagine a new design in the 3rd or 4th gen iPad, the new one will probably get a cam or two and more ram..

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad