Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Camera connection kit and 4.2 incompatible?

Is it true that 4.2 changes the power draw on the connector rendering many SD cards useless with the camera connection kit?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Saberon
macrumors 6502a

Sadly yes, read the reviews on apple.com of the kit and its full of upset customers.
Saberon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:50 PM   #3
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

This is most disappointing and frankly subpar performance on Apple's part. Boo Apple!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 03:38 PM   #4
b.c.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Is it true that 4.2 changes the power draw on the connector rendering many SD cards useless with the camera connection kit?
I believe most of the complaints of 4.2 + CCK are to do with many USB card readers no longer working, not SD cards themselves directly

I have the CCK and under 4.2, I can still read all my SD and SDHC cards using the CCK SD card adapter, and I can still read my Kingston USB flash key and direct connect to my Canon 40D and S95 via the CCK USB adapter

even under 3.2, none of the card readers I currently have would work with the CCK, they already were too high power then.

I'm not saying people are not having problems with 4.2 and CCK - just that it seems to be with lower current consumption allowed for card readers (and other unsupported USB devices), not the general functionality with SD cards or cameras

Last edited by b.c.; Dec 5, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
b.c. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:23 AM   #5
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.c. View Post
I believe most of the complaints of 4.2 + CCK are to do with many USB card readers no longer working, not SD cards themselves directly

I have the CCK and under 4.2, I can still read all my SD and SDHC cards using the CCK SD card adapter, and I can still read my Kingston USB flash key and direct connect to my Canon 40D and S95 via the CCK USB adapter

even under 3.2, none of the card readers I currently have would work with the CCK, they already were too high power then.

I'm not saying people are not having problems with 4.2 and CCK - just that it seems to be with lower current consumption allowed for card readers (and other unsupported USB devices), not the general functionality with SD cards or cameras
For me, most cards will not read in the CCK. That is also what I gathered from the comments on the Apple forums. The USB link to the camera seems ok since it draws no power.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:28 PM   #6
chiefroastbeef
macrumors 6502a

I too am disappointed that 4.2 disabled the memory card reader function. Since I have a Nikon, I cannot directly connect the camera to the CCK USB, Nikon has since disabled the Mass Storage function on the camera, so we must use a card reader to transfer photos... this is quite a bummer.
Nikon D700
chiefroastbeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
nostaws
macrumors 6502

Maybe this adds fuel to the rumor of an sd card reader in iPad2. Apple makes it unusable on the old iPad to encourage adoption of V.2.
nostaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
I was using an external Mic with the USB, and I know it's not what it's intended for, but I'm bummed it no longer works. What about using a powered USB hub? Has anyone tried this?
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Daremo
macrumors 68000

OK, I have answered my own question, and thought the information might interest some people here...

I was using the USB camera kit, like a lot of people, as a way to connect a external USB microphone for better recording options. I use the YETI by Blue. It used to work until Apple changed the power allowance to the dock connector, and not the message appears, that the device doesn't have enough power to operate.

I hooked up the Mic to a powered USB hub, and it now works again as it did before. I realize, this does not make it as portable as it was once was, now needing to be tethered to the wall, but it does work.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:55 PM   #10
dawgfang
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daremo View Post
OK, I have answered my own question, and thought the information might interest some people here...

I was using the USB camera kit, like a lot of people, as a way to connect a external USB microphone for better recording options. I use the YETI by Blue. It used to work until Apple changed the power allowance to the dock connector, and not the message appears, that the device doesn't have enough power to operate.

I hooked up the Mic to a powered USB hub, and it now works again as it did before. I realize, this does not make it as portable as it was once was, now needing to be tethered to the wall, but it does work.
Thanks for the update. Is there such a thing as a battery powered USB hub?
dawgfang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfang View Post
Thanks for the update. Is there such a thing as a battery powered USB hub?
Funny you mention this... I looked, and it seems they are very difficult to come by.

What I did today was take a USB cable, and splice it with a power cable fitting my USB hub, and I can power the YETI using the hub and a back up battery source like the ZAGG Sparq. It works perfectly. Not the greatest hack in terms of the amount of gadgets you need to make this work, but at least it did bring back some sort of portability to it. I can take photos or a video if anyone is interested.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories