Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
flopticalcube
macrumors G4
 
flopticalcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the velcro closure of America's Hat
Camera connection kit and 4.2 incompatible?

Is it true that 4.2 changes the power draw on the connector rendering many SD cards useless with the camera connection kit?
__________________
Read the Rules / Search the Forums / Use a Descriptive Title
Mac Won't Boot?
flopticalcube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Saberon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Sadly yes, read the reviews on apple.com of the kit and its full of upset customers.
Saberon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:50 PM   #3
flopticalcube
Thread Starter
macrumors G4
 
flopticalcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the velcro closure of America's Hat
This is most disappointing and frankly subpar performance on Apple's part. Boo Apple!
__________________
Read the Rules / Search the Forums / Use a Descriptive Title
Mac Won't Boot?
flopticalcube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 03:38 PM   #4
b.c.
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Is it true that 4.2 changes the power draw on the connector rendering many SD cards useless with the camera connection kit?
I believe most of the complaints of 4.2 + CCK are to do with many USB card readers no longer working, not SD cards themselves directly

I have the CCK and under 4.2, I can still read all my SD and SDHC cards using the CCK SD card adapter, and I can still read my Kingston USB flash key and direct connect to my Canon 40D and S95 via the CCK USB adapter

even under 3.2, none of the card readers I currently have would work with the CCK, they already were too high power then.

I'm not saying people are not having problems with 4.2 and CCK - just that it seems to be with lower current consumption allowed for card readers (and other unsupported USB devices), not the general functionality with SD cards or cameras

Last edited by b.c.; Dec 5, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
b.c. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:23 AM   #5
flopticalcube
Thread Starter
macrumors G4
 
flopticalcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the velcro closure of America's Hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.c. View Post
I believe most of the complaints of 4.2 + CCK are to do with many USB card readers no longer working, not SD cards themselves directly

I have the CCK and under 4.2, I can still read all my SD and SDHC cards using the CCK SD card adapter, and I can still read my Kingston USB flash key and direct connect to my Canon 40D and S95 via the CCK USB adapter

even under 3.2, none of the card readers I currently have would work with the CCK, they already were too high power then.

I'm not saying people are not having problems with 4.2 and CCK - just that it seems to be with lower current consumption allowed for card readers (and other unsupported USB devices), not the general functionality with SD cards or cameras
For me, most cards will not read in the CCK. That is also what I gathered from the comments on the Apple forums. The USB link to the camera seems ok since it draws no power.
__________________
Read the Rules / Search the Forums / Use a Descriptive Title
Mac Won't Boot?
flopticalcube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:28 PM   #6
chiefroastbeef
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I too am disappointed that 4.2 disabled the memory card reader function. Since I have a Nikon, I cannot directly connect the camera to the CCK USB, Nikon has since disabled the Mass Storage function on the camera, so we must use a card reader to transfer photos... this is quite a bummer.
__________________
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHZ 24GB Ram Nvidia GTX 670
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Penryn Macbook Air 11" 1.6GHZ C2D
Apple Cinema Display 30", 20"
Nikon D700
chiefroastbeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
nostaws
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Maybe this adds fuel to the rumor of an sd card reader in iPad2. Apple makes it unusable on the old iPad to encourage adoption of V.2.
nostaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Daremo
macrumors 68000
 
Daremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
I was using an external Mic with the USB, and I know it's not what it's intended for, but I'm bummed it no longer works. What about using a powered USB hub? Has anyone tried this?
__________________
Paul
Follow me on : TWITTER
Novembers Doom
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Daremo
macrumors 68000
 
Daremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
OK, I have answered my own question, and thought the information might interest some people here...

I was using the USB camera kit, like a lot of people, as a way to connect a external USB microphone for better recording options. I use the YETI by Blue. It used to work until Apple changed the power allowance to the dock connector, and not the message appears, that the device doesn't have enough power to operate.

I hooked up the Mic to a powered USB hub, and it now works again as it did before. I realize, this does not make it as portable as it was once was, now needing to be tethered to the wall, but it does work.
__________________
Paul
Follow me on : TWITTER
Novembers Doom
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:55 PM   #10
dawgfang
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daremo View Post
OK, I have answered my own question, and thought the information might interest some people here...

I was using the USB camera kit, like a lot of people, as a way to connect a external USB microphone for better recording options. I use the YETI by Blue. It used to work until Apple changed the power allowance to the dock connector, and not the message appears, that the device doesn't have enough power to operate.

I hooked up the Mic to a powered USB hub, and it now works again as it did before. I realize, this does not make it as portable as it was once was, now needing to be tethered to the wall, but it does work.
Thanks for the update. Is there such a thing as a battery powered USB hub?
dawgfang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Daremo
macrumors 68000
 
Daremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfang View Post
Thanks for the update. Is there such a thing as a battery powered USB hub?
Funny you mention this... I looked, and it seems they are very difficult to come by.

What I did today was take a USB cable, and splice it with a power cable fitting my USB hub, and I can power the YETI using the hub and a back up battery source like the ZAGG Sparq. It works perfectly. Not the greatest hack in terms of the amount of gadgets you need to make this work, but at least it did bring back some sort of portability to it. I can take photos or a video if anyone is interested.
__________________
Paul
Follow me on : TWITTER
Novembers Doom
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Camera Connection Kit and FlipCam / Kodak Zi8 cbflip2000 iPad Accessories 21 Sep 21, 2011 01:06 PM
Camera Connection Kit Power Fix Imminent? Mattstkc iPad Hacks 9 Aug 31, 2011 12:46 PM
Resolved: Camera Connection Kit foranor iPad Accessories 6 Mar 19, 2011 10:41 AM
Audio interfaces that work with the camera connection kit? cRuNcHiE iPad 0 Mar 10, 2011 03:40 PM
Help just bought camera connection kit jdcell100 iPad Accessories 1 Feb 5, 2011 09:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC