Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CourtlandLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Just two days ago I invested in an iPod Classic 160gb. I was just skimming around on it without headphones and everytime I selected a song, fastfowarded or selected a movie I would hear a weird sound from the harddrive.. Something high pitch from the bottom of the ipod and was like a laser or high pitch sound. not like the harddrive whirring though which I've heard on friends ipods.. Is this normal? Sorry I can't describe the sound much better.:confused::confused:

Last edited:

May 8, 2008
Mines only 2 days old! Is this normal?!?!?!? Im worried and wondering whether I should return it before i vacation this week.?:confused:

Personally, I'd exchange it. I don't remember my hard drive based iPods ever emitting such a sound as you've described.

Macostendoto

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
Mine did this too even though it was brand new. I sent it off to Apple and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. The iPod still does it though. Also FYI the model is a 2009 160GB.

CourtlandLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Yeah. So should I return it? I've heard its just the sound of the hard drive?! Im so confused :confused::confused: :apple:

Macostendoto

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
Like I said my iPod did the same thing and after Apple diagnosed it with nothing wrong I got it back and just ignore the sound. It still does it but it hasnt affected the iPod at all.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
Yeah. So should I return it? I've heard its just the sound of the hard drive?! Im so confused :confused::confused: :apple:

What I meant by "it depends on how old it is" is what generation the iPod Classic is. I'm sorry that I made that notion unclear, but if you mean the high-pitched whirring sound every time you play a new song, then yup it's completely normal. If you hear anything different, feel free to make a YouTube video demonstrating the sound that you hear and us techies will diagnose it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.