Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

ThinkSecret Secures Legal Help In Defense Of Apple Lawsuit

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: ThinkSecret Secures Legal Help In Defense Of Apple Lawsuit
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:28 AM   #2
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

I hope Apple gets smacked down for pulling this crap. Alternatively if TS is intentionally trying to coerce people who are under NDAs to give up the goods they deserve to go down. I think its going to come down to Apple proving that TS was soliciting people to give up information. If they canít do that I highly doubt Apple has a leg to stand on.
Honestly can you really hold TS accountable for someone elseís actions? I think we are about to find out.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:31 AM   #3
Santaduck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Santaduck Send a message via AIM to Santaduck
although usually I take Apple's side, this time I hope the 19 y.o. Harvard undergrad wins. Rah. Seriously Apple is offbase going after the fanbase. The 'solicitation' is an odd technicality in the common sense of the modern era of the newsblog and news sites.
Santaduck is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 08:28 AM   #4
1macker1
Banned

GO! Thinsecret. How much does a 19 year old stundent have to offer Apple employees for info?
1macker1 is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:05 AM   #5
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaduck
although usually I take Apple's side, this time I hope the 19 y.o. Harvard undergrad wins. Rah. Seriously Apple is offbase going after the fanbase. The 'solicitation' is an odd technicality in the common sense of the modern era of the newsblog and news sites.
I agree.

The laws were (probably) intended to go after people that explicitly target and pressure people with insider information. Like someone who phones up an employee with secret information and persuades (perhaps with offers of money) the employee to divulge his secrets. In other words, corporate espionage.

Someone who simply puts a link on a web site saying "If you'd like to leak something to the world, click here" is not in the same category. Not even close.
shamino is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:35 PM   #6
powermac99
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to powermac99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
Like someone who phones up an employee with secret information and persuades (perhaps with offers of money) the employee to divulge his secrets. In other words, corporate espionage.
I think that's what Apple is alleging. They seem to be saying that Ciarelli is offering to pay people for information. I'm sure they have evidence to support that claim.
powermac99 is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 04:00 PM   #7
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaduck
Seriously Apple is offbase going after the fanbase.
I hear people saying "don't bite the hand that feeds you" regarding Apple, but isn't he doing the same thing, biting the hand that feeds him? It's not protected under Free Speech either. I mean, we all root for the little guy, but all Apple Legal did was ask him to take the specs down, and he refused. Then they wanted info about who gave him the info, because they probably broke Apple's NDA, a legally binding contract.

So now we have him playing up the poor kid against big, bad, corporation going after the defensless little guy defense... just because he knowingly published trade secrets gotten through possibly illegal ways. I'm sorry, I love rumors as much as the next guys here, but that doesn't make what he did right.

Besides, you know what the last guy got as punishment? He was asked never to do it again. Yep, that's about it (and probably fired, but I think he didn't work there anymore anyway. This is just a scare tactic before they settle and give him a slap on the wrist. It's not about Steve's ego, it's about protecting the company secrets and the investors. Plus, what if they get the info wrong (which they sometimes do). That actually can hurt the company.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion