Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
These threads all remain on the first page of this Community Discussion forum all year long, but I assume there are more people who never click such threads than those who do. (I personally do click them and sometimes participate the discussion in a couple of threads, but I still believe there should be a dedicated board for these threads to simply unclog this Community Discussion forum.) What say you?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 196

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes it's called Community Discussion.

Why not ignore the Community Discussion forum?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
These threads all remain on the first page of this Community Discussion forum all year long, but I assume there are more people who never click such threads than those who do. (I personally do click them and sometimes participate the discussion in a couple of threads, but I still believe there should be a dedicated board for these threads to simply unclog this Community Discussion forum.) What say you?

No, they pertain here to Community Discussion as they are all things we are interested in.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I also noticed today the surge in every single sports-related thread jumping to the top. Thy are always on the first page, but rarely do I see every single one of them in the first few lines. It was bizarre...but then I noticed that one person had posted in almost all of them one right after the other, so I guess that helped.

I don't read most of them, but they are community discussion I guess. I wouldn't be sorry to see a sporting-related sub-forum, but not interested enough to pressure for it.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Yes it's called Community Discussion.

Why not ignore the Community Discussion forum?

Yes, it is. And, why not ignore the entire MacRumors forums?

I believe I once told you stop acting like as if you own them.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
The question is though, where is the line to be drawn? Do we then have separate boards for discussion of – say – films, TV shows, music, girls not understanding me, cars, and so forth?

For what it's worth, there used to be a separate board for music – this was then absorbed into the main community forum, I don't know if this is an indication that the powers that be prefer things to be in a main community forum rather than being splintered into separate ones.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have always been in favor and even asked for separate sports and entertainment forums. The answer that was given at the time was that they don't want to have to many sub forums. I would rather see separate smaller dedicated forums over one huge mass collection. I think it would make it easier to search if things were separated by topic.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have always been in favor and even asked for separate sports and entertainment forums. The answer that was given at the time was that they don't want to have to many sub forums. I would rather see separate smaller dedicated forums over one huge mass collection. I think it would make it easier to search if things were separated by topic.

I agree. I was disappointed when they merged the music sub section with the large one. Maybe a few subsections more wouldn't hurt. Maybe?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes, it is. And, why not ignore the entire MacRumors forums?

I believe I once told you stop acting like as if you own them.

You've given me an order before? Oddly I must have missed such an insignificant comment. :confused: I'm not sure how you sum up my comment as one of ownership. I think you're off your rocker if you think a community forum should be free of subjects that interest the general community. Some don't interest me, I ignore them, much like I've probaly ignored your inane order to stop doing something that clearly wasn't happening. Though, pot meet kettle with this "we" crap you use so freely.

Once again, no, "we" (as YOU declare) should not have a separate forum for community discussion as it already exists. Its my opinion but I'm sure if the people that matter want to change it, they will.

Look son, if you don't like off topic discussion relating to sports and whatever the hell mrville is then, ignore them. PM me if you'd like a quick how-to on how to ignore specific forums. :D

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
I have not opened any of the circled threads in the original post. They don't bother me at all but it would (IMO) be better to have a sprots/roll playing sub forum.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Most of those threads I'm not interested in but a couple I am. They are somewhat frequently bumped but it's no biggie for me/you to just not click those threads. They are well within the community spirit. Not all subjects are universally adored and trying to force it all around one's preferences just isn't logical or reasonable. Just try not to let it bug you. :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We're regularly asked to add new forums. Sometimes we agree with the suggestion and add the forum, but there has to be a good reason to distinguish yet another category of discussions, and a sufficient number of threads on the topic to warrant contributing to "forum bloat".

There are two advantages to new forums: people who are interested in the topic can browse that forum to find many "on-topic" threads and people who are not interested can ignore or block that forum. The downside is that with more and more users browsing from portable devices its more of a bother when the forum index continues to grow. There's also a downside for the moderators, in that they have to spend more time moving threads that are posted in the wrong forum.

If we'd accepted all of the suggestions we've received, we'd have well over 100 forums by now. Even with our slow growth policy, Apple's expansion into new products has produced many more forums than in the past.

Community Discussion is the area in which we're least inclined to split off new subforums, because topics such as sports, films, and cars are not our focus. The mixture of threads there reflects the varied interests of our users and that tends to shift from week to week.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I agree it clutters the forum space there up (especially as I never really post in those threads) but they're popular, so I think they should just stay there. Having separate sections for everything makes it more difficult to navigate and you've got threads spread out even more than at the moment, making it harder to find anything.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
What say you?

I say these threads are great.

In some ways, some of them are just as important to the community as opposed to still bickering about Blu-Ray and Macs, another thread that will not die, perhaps justifiably. They provide a space for perhaps hundreds of voices where people can unwind a little and find common ground where perhaps disagreements over other matters take place elsewhere. See them as individual sub forums.

MacRumors' strength rests on being more than just a tech forum. For those who wish to see more variety in the community forum, then it's your space as much as it's anyone's. Start a new thread, initiate a new discussion, make something good happen... instead of wanting to tear down or marginalise existing discussions.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I agree with the OP. In fact, I even made a thread in suggestion for this a while back.

I have nothing against these forum games, but I do not wish to play them. Shoving them in their own forum will give them a permanent place at MacRumours and clear up the clutter for them who dislike them.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I am curious as to why current events was buried into the community forums. Was it that much of a problem to have it separate? It didn't shrink the main forum page any.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I am curious as to why current events was buried into the community forums. Was it that much of a problem to have it separate? It didn't shrink the main forum page any.
We don't think of any forum as "buried".

Current Events is a forum for threads that are often/usually not related to Apple, so Community seemed to make the most sense.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I agree with the OP. In fact, I even made a thread in suggestion for this a while back.

I have nothing against these forum games, but I do not wish to play them. Shoving them in their own forum will give them a permanent place at MacRumours and clear up the clutter for them who dislike them.

Where does it end though? Game threads? Sports threads? Music threads? We'll end up having a bunch of subforums with just a few threads each.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Could we have a subforum for people to post suggestions for new subforums, or to make complainants about not having enough subforums?

That way I wouldn't need to see threads like this, and everyone would be happy.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Most all of the threads in question are self contained and are actually a sub-forum themselves.

The College Football thread for instance, is a place where ALL college football gets discussed. There aren't multiple threads for each team, today's game, the BCS, etc.

Same with the NFL thread, the MLB thread and that "soccer thread" :)

This is also true of the MRville Games. Each game is self contained within the thread

All of the community has done a good job of keeping everything within its own thread in these cases. The fact they are at the top is just a testament to their popularity among those who frequent them.

Yes, perhaps you could put the 6 sports threads in a sub-forum, or the 2 MRville game threads in sub-forum, but why? So you could find the "Am I being a jerk" thread more easily? Or the "Help me catch a cheating spouse" thread?

I believe the Community Forum is defined by the community far more than by the site structure. People post threads that are important to them and frequent them.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Where does it end though? Game threads? Sports threads? Music threads? We'll end up having a bunch of subforums with just a few threads each.

I was more just on about the Game threads. All the other community discussion threads can stay put. Having a subforum for one or two threads is nonsense. There are plenty of game threads, plenty enough for them to have their own subforum.

Not only will it clear up the game threads for them who do not wish to see them, but it will also make them easier to access for then who do enjoy them and enjoy looking back on them. As for the rest... sports... music... tv... etc... no need. They are fine where they are.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I was more just on about the Game threads. All the other community discussion threads can stay put. Having a subforum for one or two threads is nonsense. There are plenty of game threads, plenty enough for them to have their own subforum.

Not only will it clear up the game threads for them who do not wish to see them, but it will also make them easier to access for then who do enjoy them and enjoy looking back on them. As for the rest... sports... music... tv... etc... no need. They are fine where they are.

But there aren't that many game threads.

And everyone has a different opinion on what is fine to stay in the Community Discussion forums. I'm not into sports so if anything I'd like the sports threads to be moved. Someone else might not like threads about TV shows. Ultimately it's just easier for people to skip over the stuff they don't like.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
But there aren't that many game threads.

And everyone has a different opinion on what is fine to stay in the Community Discussion forums. I'm not into sports so if anything I'd like the sports threads to be moved. Someone else might not like threads about TV shows. Ultimately it's just easier for people to skip over the stuff they don't like.

There'd probably be more game threads with they had their own sub forum. Plus the would need to be waste landed.
As someone who plays in the games, I support them having their own sub forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.