Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
So lately due to the 4.2.1 there has been a lot of iPhone users saying there iPhone got stuck in recovery mode. Well this happening because these "users" are new to jailbreaking or aren't completely getting the whole picture.

The jailbreak Redsn0w for 4.2.1 (created by the iPhone Dev Team) is tethered. Tethered meaning after your iPhone reboots, you turn it off/on or the battery dies you need to run Redsn0w in tethered mode. Uncheck everything listed in Redsn0w except boot tethered.

Some users are seeing Cydia as a white, blank icon and they reboot their iPhone and it gets stuck in DFU mode and they restore! <--Bad idea. You don't do that! Or they re-run the jailbreak. Running the jailbreak over an already jailbroken iPhone is (my dubbed, maybe?) iPhone Suicide!

After seeing the white Cydia icon, you then have to re-run Redsn0w in tethered mode. Then! After your iPhone reboots, Cydia will be working normally. If you need the unlock install ultrasn0w <--will require reboot.

If you have to restore your iPhone for any reason on 4.2.1 you have to use a custom ipsw. iTunes will just give you an error message because your baseband is now that of an iPad if you don't use a custom 4.2.1

I hope this clarifies some issues for iPhone users. If you have questions, reply here (I'm sure AppleJuiced will be in here. He can help as well).

Last edited:

hortolanyi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
So lately due to the 4.2.1 there has been a lot of iPhone users saying there iPhone got stuck in recovery mode. Well this happening because these "users" are new to jailbreaking or aren't completely getting the whole picture.

The jailbreak Redsn0w for 4.2.1 (created by the iPhone Dev Team) is tethered. Tethered meaning after your iPhone reboots, you turn it off/on or the battery dies you need to run Redsn0w in tethered mode. Uncheck everything listed in Redsn0w except boot tethered.

Some users are seeing Cydia as a white, blank icon and they reboot their iPhone and it gets stuck in DFU mode and they restore! <--Bad idea. You don't do that! Or they re-run the jailbreak. Running the jailbreak over an already jailbroken iPhone is (my dubbed, maybe?) iPhone Suicide!

After seeing the white Cydia icon, you then have to re-run Redsn0w in tethered mode. Then! After your iPhone reboots, Cydia will be working normally. If you need the unlock install ultrasn0w <--will require reboot.

If you have to restore your iPhone for any reason on 4.2.1 you have to use a custom ipsw. iTunes will just give you an error message because your baseband is now that of an iPad if you don't use a custom 4.2.1

I hope this clarifies some issues for iPhone users. If you have questions, reply here (I'm sure AppleJuiced will be in here. He can help as well).

Hi, Unfortunatelly my friend did the thing you explained above. Now my Iphone 3gs is stuck in recovery mode under 4.2.1 fw 6.15... What can I do now?I just bought my Iphone dont want to throw it away! Please help

Thanks in advance,

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Yep NON STOP:(

Which one are you seeing I meant to say?

If you're seeing the Apple logo > run Redsn0w in tethered mode.

If you're seeing the iTunes logo/USB icon > You have to use a custom 4.2.1/6.15.00 ipsw to restore > then re-jailbreak.

hortolanyi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Which one are you seeing I meant to say?

If you're seeing the Apple logo > run Redsn0w in tethered mode.

If you're seeing the iTunes logo/USB icon > You have to use a custom 4.2.1/6.15.00 ipsw to restore > then re-jailbreak.

Option 2 is my case. So where do I get that 4.2.1/6.15.00 ipsw?(link possible?) and after that I re-jailbreak witht the same custom file?

Thanks a lot I feel liek a dummy to let my friend screw me over:(

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Option 2 is my case. So where do I get that 4.2.1/6.15.00 ipsw?(link possible?) and after that I re-jailbreak witht the same custom file?

Thanks a lot I feel liek a dummy to let my friend screw me over:(

Just search on google (I don't know of any sites). Try and find a site that you think you can trust. If I had a 3G, I'd make you a custom ipsw.

What are friends for? Lol.

hortolanyi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Just search on google (I don't know of any sites). Try and find a site that you think you can trust. If I had a 3G, I'd make you a custom ipsw.

What are friends for? Lol.

:0 No friends who could make a custom ipsw:( I tried to google it but i only get the original 4.2.1 dont see any custom ones.:(:(:confused:

hortolanyi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
:0 No friends who could make a custom ipsw:( I tried to google it but i only get the original 4.2.1 dont see any custom ones.:(:(:confused:

Alright here is where I got today.... I tried to restore my phone to 4.1 (normal not custom) with ultrasnow... by install only cydia...int went through but after it finished i got the apple logo stuck on my screen. then it turns off turns back on and I get back to the USB to iTunes again... What to do?

joshuastar

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
hmmm...so what if this is happening to my wife's iphone 4 and it's NOT jailbroken and never has been?

[edit for clarification]:
it started this morning when she woke up. her screen was completely greyed out. the only way out of it was to hold home+lock until the reboot. from that point on, it's been stuck on the USB-->iTunes screen.

tried restoring (because that's the only option we have, it seems), and THAT won't work. we get a "this iphone cannot be restored." and error code "9". which apparently means that we're using a bad USB cable. which is bogus. it sync's my 3gs just fine.

any thoughts?

hortolanyi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
I am getting to the point of regretting apple products:( why they have to make it so complex? If someone wants to jailbreak it or unlock it he will do it anyways… this just causes extra problems for all users…Doesn’t sound like Steve Jobs dream lol…:D

hortolanyi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
stilll stuck

SOmeone please help meeeee I am still stuck with this problem...I have tried almost everything and still cant get it work...:eek:

hortolanyi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Fixed it

allright, i thought I will share this with the rest who strugle with their recovery mode. I am not an expert of Iphones but after 2 days now I kinda see through it... ANyway, here is what you should do(if you dont care about warranty).... Download Redsn0w 0.9.6.b5 , download 4.1 .ispw file (original), download a custom 4.2.1 .ipsw file, Now you should be all set.. Start ultrasnow witht he original 4.1 .ipsw file and on the second page choose only start in DFU mode. after it's done go to iTunes restore(with shift) choose the custom 4.2.1. .ipsw file....let it boot and you are done.

I hope I was clear enough and I didnt leave out any steps.:):D:cool:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
allright, i thought I will share this with the rest who strugle with their recovery mode. I am not an expert of Iphones but after 2 days now I kinda see through it... ANyway, here is what you should do(if you dont care about warranty).... Download Redsn0w 0.9.6.b5 , download 4.1 .ispw file (original), download a custom 4.2.1 .ipsw file, Now you should be all set.. Start ultrasnow witht he original 4.1 .ipsw file and on the second page choose only start in DFU mode. after it's done go to iTunes restore(with shift) choose the custom 4.2.1. .ipsw file....let it boot and you are done.

I hope I was clear enough and I didnt leave out any steps.:):D:cool:

Finally got your iPhone working?

hortolanyi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Finally got your iPhone working?
Oh yeah finally!:) i jailbroke it and unlokced it last night too... so far it is working good..even with a european sim card:)but what is weird is that it still says at&t network while line is t-mobile.. but working fine tho

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Oh yeah finally!:) i jailbroke it and unlokced it last night too... so far it is working good..even with a european sim card:)but what is weird is that it still says at&t network while line is t-mobile.. but working fine tho

Good to hear.

BacSau

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
"allright, i thought I will share this with the rest who strugle with their recovery mode. I am not an expert of Iphones but after 2 days now I kinda see through it... ANyway, here is what you should do(if you dont care about warranty).... Download Redsn0w 0.9.6.b5 , download 4.1 .ispw file (original), download a custom 4.2.1 .ipsw file, Now you should be all set.. Start ultrasnow witht he original 4.1 .ipsw file and on the second page choose only start in DFU mode. after it's done go to iTunes restore(with shift) choose the custom 4.2.1. .ipsw file....let it boot and you are done.

I hope I was clear enough and I didnt leave out any steps.

Hi there,
I am not good at this at all....would you please post it how to in step by step so i can follow your instructions with out making any mistake.

Thank you in advanced.

lazykate

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
at least i'm not the only one

Hi everyone!

After reading all these iPhone issues I feel like I'm not the only one.

Same story here: having a full battery, it suddenly switched off. I was able to switch it back on, and finish my things. I have put it in my pocket then. Afterwards it switched off, and there was no way I could switch it back on.

Coming home read everything I could find on the Apple support about my issue, and tried home+sleep button. It went back to life, but showed a low battery, despite being off the whole day.

This morning it has started switching off again. To bring it back to life I had to use home+sleep buttons.
Now it is stuck. I have connected it to my laptop, opened iTunes. It says "iTunes detected an iPhone in a recovery mode", but the recovery option in iTunes does not go through. It starts, then shows a bar under the apple logo on the iPhone screen, and then iPhone shuts down, and a message comes with an error (28). And the phone screen shows itunes logo and usb cable all the time.

I bought my iPhone a year ago. Paid the full price, and use it in the other country. I am not sure if it was ever jailbreaked and don't know how to check it.

Please help a blonde to fix the problem :(

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi everyone!

After reading all these iPhone issues I feel like I'm not the only one.

Same story here: having a full battery, it suddenly switched off. I was able to switch it back on, and finish my things. I have put it in my pocket then. Afterwards it switched off, and there was no way I could switch it back on.

Coming home read everything I could find on the Apple support about my issue, and tried home+sleep button. It went back to life, but showed a low battery, despite being off the whole day.

This morning it has started switching off again. To bring it back to life I had to use home+sleep buttons.
Now it is stuck. I have connected it to my laptop, opened iTunes. It says "iTunes detected an iPhone in a recovery mode", but the recovery option in iTunes does not go through. It starts, then shows a bar under the apple logo on the iPhone screen, and then iPhone shuts down, and a message comes with an error (28). And the phone screen shows itunes logo and usb cable all the time.

I bought my iPhone a year ago. Paid the full price, and use it in the other country. I am not sure if it was ever jailbreaked and don't know how to check it.

Please help a blonde to fix the problem :(

Error 28 is a hard ware issue. Has nothing to do with jailbreaking. The only thing you can do is have it replaced at Apple.

I've had the same thing happen to be with my brand new 3GS when it came out in 2009. I had it charging over night, when I woke up I found the USB and iTunes screen. I hooked it up to my computer and got error 28 (twice). Called Apple, and got it replaced.

I had 5 3GS iPhone's until I have a full working one, believe that?

lazykate

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Error 28 is a hard ware issue. Has nothing to do with jailbreaking. The only thing you can do is have it replaced at Apple.

I've had the same thing happen to be with my brand new 3GS when it came out in 2009. I had it charging over night, when I woke up I found the USB and iTunes screen. I hooked it up to my computer and got error 28 (twice). Called Apple, and got it replaced.

I had 5 3GS iPhone's until I have a full working one, believe that?

OMG, 5 times doesn't sound very promissing!!! :eek:

In my case.. I don't think they will replace it for me anymore. Meaning - I will have to buy a new one :( :( :(

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
OMG, 5 times doesn't sound very promissing!!! :eek:

In my case.. I don't think they will replace it for me anymore. Meaning - I will have to buy a new one :( :( :(

The other 4 times were cases of bad luck.

If you go to the Apple store and pay $200, they replace it, no questions asked.

BacSau

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
Here is a guide for you: http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12945[/QU

Thank you for your reply.
However i still have problems with the phone.
When it come to the page said " Please make sure your device is BOTH OFF and PLUGGED IN to the computer".
>Both off ? my iphone and ??.
Beside, i can not turn the phone off ! I press and hold the Power button for few seconds, the screen goes blank (black), the "slide to power off" never showed, as soon as I released the power botton, the Apple logo appears for a about 3 seconds then the USB cable along with the iTunes logo re-appear again and again :confused:
The instruction said " Click next ONLY when your device is BOTH :confused: off and plugged in" !!! I don't want to click next because i phone is not off :( .
What should i do next ? Pleaseeeee helpppp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.