Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Piggie
macrumors 601

How do I get .mobi files into the Kindle App?

I have the kindle app?

I also have a few free old eBooks in .mobi format.

I can't seem to work out how I get these .mobi files onto the iPad for viewing with the Kindle app.
Piggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
I have the kindle app?

I can't seem to work out how I get these .mobi files onto the iPad for viewing with the Kindle app.
You can't. You need to convert them to ePub and use the iBooks app. Kindle app is for Amazon book purchases only. No way to get them on there. Trust me, I've tried. So now I use iBooks for my ePubs and the Kindle app for books I've bought through Amazon.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
You can't. You need to convert them to ePub and use the iBooks app. Kindle app is for Amazon book purchases only. No way to get them on there. Trust me, I've tried. So now I use iBooks for my ePubs and the Kindle app for books I've bought through Amazon.
OMG.......... Unbelievable

Thanks for letting me know before I wasted more time trying to find out.

I'd growing to massively hate the way Apple, Kindle etc etc are doing things these days.

Things that should take seconds to do are being deliberately difficult.

I know from the past, things were difficult as you were pushing the boundaries of technology, but you normally got there in the end.

But now they have the ability to make them simple and they and choosing to make things hard for users.

Looks like I'm going to have to see if I can convert them.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Zdob
macrumors newbie

Quote:
http://iiiconverter.com - free online converter for that
Zdob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdob View Post
http://iiiconverter.com - free online converter for that
thanks
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Squadleader
Banned

Quote:
I have the kindle app?

Calibre converts the file and will email it to your Kindle or you can hook it up to your computer...Excellent free software..also check out mobilereader.com great advice there as well....
Squadleader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:32 PM   #7
scottlasak
macrumors newbie

Hey, it's really simple to get the mobi files onto your Mac, PC or iDevice. I put a simple writeup here.

http://www.allaboutgoingdigital.com/reading/play-nice-kindle-app/

Last edited by scottlasak; Mar 7, 2011 at 02:09 AM.
scottlasak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:14 PM   #8
MacRumer
macrumors newbie

Dropbox!

Calibre's interesting, but why bother - especially if you have Dropbox on your iPad.

Put the .mobi file in your Dropbox then open it via the Dropbox app on your iPad. Dropbox doesn't natively view .mobi files, but you can launch the Kindle app.

You'll need to use the upper right hand arrow icon which'll ask you what app you want to use to open the .mobi file, at which point you'll be presented with a little menu and the Kindle app's icon.

Voila!
MacRumer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Dazd
macrumors member

Well this is how I do it, it works and it's easy. Hook your iPad to the PC or mac so iTunes opens, open up your iPad in iTunes, go to apps, scroll down then find kindle, click on it and you'll have a box to the right, drag the mobi files into there and they will be put into the kindle app.

I use calibre to convert to mobi and edit the front page image etc.

Easy peasy

HTH
Dazd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:49 AM   #10
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadleader View Post
Calibre converts the file and will email it to your Kindle or you can hook it up to your computer...Excellent free software..also check out mobilereader.com great advice there as well....
That is what I have also done - so many years of ebooks reading from plain text on HP200LX through practically every brand PDA since ... no way I wanted to lose all of that!
txa1265 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:54 PM   #11
porcupine8
macrumors 6502a

I did this just by going into iTunes, selecting my iPad, going to Apps, choosing Kindle, and adding the files there. No conversion, no using anything else. Just synced and they uploaded right where they were supposed to be. No outside apps, nothing. Easy.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:57 PM   #12
Smoothness
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine8 View Post
I did this just by going into iTunes, selecting my iPad, going to Apps, choosing Kindle, and adding the files there. No conversion, no using anything else. Just synced and they uploaded right where they were supposed to be. No outside apps, nothing. Easy.
Yea im confused why everyone says its not possible
Smoothness is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Hoyasaxa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothness View Post
Yea im confused why everyone says its not possible
Agreed. It's about the easiest thing you can do.

One note, it may not be apparent where this feature is, but it is in the Apps tab of your ipad when it is hooked up to itunes. Scroll down to the bottom of the window and the file sharing window will be there.
Hoyasaxa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:14 PM   #14
jimvoorhies
macrumors newbie

It's not too hard to move a .mobi file to your iPad but you need Dropbox. Put the .mobi file in your dropbox folder. Open Dropbox on your iPad and tap the .mobi file. Dropbox will then let you export the file from Dropbox to Kindle.
jimvoorhies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:08 PM   #15
nosaj72
macrumors member

Or just email it to yourself and open the attachment in the Kindle app.
nosaj72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:18 AM   #16
mikebush
macrumors newbie

well, i see if you want to transfer ebook or any other files to iPad 2, just use third party iPad 2 file Transfer software. it supports various files and easily transfer the data from your iPad 2 to PC and vice-versa
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:08 AM   #17
sponch
macrumors member

Email it to yourself and say open in kindle. That's it. People telling there is no way are just wrong.
sponch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:03 PM   #18
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

Emailed and opened it. Then deleted the email and its still in Kindle App. Easy as!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:48 PM   #19
afterhours
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvoorhies View Post
It's not too hard to move a .mobi file to your iPad but you need Dropbox. Put the .mobi file in your dropbox folder. Open Dropbox on your iPad and tap the .mobi file. Dropbox will then let you export the file from Dropbox to Kindle.
As several others have pointed out, you do NOT need anything other than iTunes.

Hook up your iPhone, download the Kindle app from the App store, add it to the iPhone with a sync, then select the iPhone in iTunes to manage it. Select the Apps tab in iTunes for the iPhone. Scroll to the bottom half of the window (below the Sync Apps section) to the File Sharing section. Click once on the Kindle app in that list and there will be a Kindle Documents window on the right where one can drag/drop .mobi files directly into your library.

No need to hack the phone, manually go into hidden folders on the Mac or any other madness. Explore iTunes -- your options and solution are readily there.
afterhours is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:39 PM   #20
helengrace8
macrumors newbie

Well this particular is exactly how I do so, it functions plus it's effortless. Hook your individual iPad in order to the Computer or simply mac thus iTunes opens, open up a iPad inside iTunes, go in order to apps, scroll down afterward select kindle, mouse click on it and in addition you'll include a container to the appropriate, drag the particular mobi data back into indeed there plus they is put into the kindle app.

I make use of calibre to be able to convert to mobi and additionally edit the actual front page image etc.

For more information on kindle just read here >>>>>>.... kindle
helengrace8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:33 PM   #21
Dickison
macrumors newbie

Another easy way to get .mobi files into iPad/iPhone

Another easy way to get .mobi files into your iPad/iPhone is just email yourself with the file attached. Open the mail on your iPad/iPhone and open the attachment.
Dickison is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:06 AM   #22
lizphan
macrumors newbie

Honestly the easiest way I've found is just to email the .mobi files to myself and open my email on my ipad/phone and a prompt will come up to open the file using the kindle app.

Simple, but it works perfectly.
lizphan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:31 AM   #23
mixvio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazd View Post
Well this is how I do it, it works and it's easy. Hook your iPad to the PC or mac so iTunes opens, open up your iPad in iTunes, go to apps, scroll down then find kindle, click on it and you'll have a box to the right, drag the mobi files into there and they will be put into the kindle app.

Easy peasy

HTH
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj72 View Post
Or just email it to yourself and open the attachment in the Kindle app.
This is all you have to do. People shouldn't emphatically say something can't be done if they don't know for sure; I've pulled files off of my physical Kindle by connecting it to my computer and then dragging/dropping the books I had there onto my iPad in iTunes.

No need for conversion, it works fine.
mixvio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:19 AM   #24
nervouk
macrumors member

It's been getting easier. These days you can use Amazon's own Send to Kindle desktop app (released April 2012) to upload .mobi files over wifi, with the option to add/edit metadata before sending.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200899000

Even though it doesn't list .mobi as an officially supported format, I haven't had any trouble uploading or opening them.

Last edited by nervouk; Nov 2, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
nervouk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:11 AM   #25
simmo0916
macrumors member

Hopefully the OP didnt just stop reading this thread at this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
...and read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazd

Easy peasy

HTH
This has NEVER been an issue. It has always been really simple. I use calibre for my book library (for converting and formatting - Im OCD like that) and then just drag the contents onto the iPad via iTunes.

Enjoy your pain free, easy reading on iPad.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps