Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:53 PM   #1
DNAppleGold
macrumors regular

Nano 4th Gen - Waterproof?

Before you say "no" listen to this "don't try this at home" story. I use my Nano primary for the gym. Last night I threw all my gym clothes in the wash - you guessed it -along with my Nano. No one is more surprised than me but it works fine.
DNAppleGold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 02:51 PM   #2
lostless
macrumors 6502

for the most part, water does not immediately destroy electronics. The reason most don't work while they are still wet, is the water is shorting out all the components. Once they dry out, depending if the shorts destroyed anything (that's why some say to unplug your battery and not try to use a device after it gets wet), they should work fine. Down the line though, corrosion from any left over moisture can slowly bring a device to its death. Your nano may be fine now, but if any moisture is left inside, one day, it just wont work.
lostless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
DNAppleGold
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostless View Post
for the most part, water does not immediately destroy electronics. The reason most don't work while they are still wet, is the water is shorting out all the components. Once they dry out, depending if the shorts destroyed anything (that's why some say to unplug your battery and not try to use a device after it gets wet), they should work fine. Down the line though, corrosion from any left over moisture can slowly bring a device to its death. Your nano may be fine now, but if any moisture is left inside, one day, it just wont work.
As I say, definitely not something I'd recommend trying. Just thought it was funny. I assumed it would be toast.
DNAppleGold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Wang Foolio
macrumors regular

I had a Nano go through the wash once. Once it dried out, it worked for the most part. The only problem is that it thinks it's plugged in to a charger all the time, so it can never be turned off! The battery starts dying the second it's unplugged, and it definitely doesn't last very long at all. The Nano found new life sitting on a Harman/Kardon speaker dock and still works fine, years later

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod