Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Before you say "no" listen to this "don't try this at home" story. I use my Nano primary for the gym. Last night I threw all my gym clothes in the wash - you guessed it -along with my Nano. No one is more surprised than me but it works fine.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
for the most part, water does not immediately destroy electronics. The reason most don't work while they are still wet, is the water is shorting out all the components. Once they dry out, depending if the shorts destroyed anything (that's why some say to unplug your battery and not try to use a device after it gets wet), they should work fine. Down the line though, corrosion from any left over moisture can slowly bring a device to its death. Your nano may be fine now, but if any moisture is left inside, one day, it just wont work.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
for the most part, water does not immediately destroy electronics. The reason most don't work while they are still wet, is the water is shorting out all the components. Once they dry out, depending if the shorts destroyed anything (that's why some say to unplug your battery and not try to use a device after it gets wet), they should work fine. Down the line though, corrosion from any left over moisture can slowly bring a device to its death. Your nano may be fine now, but if any moisture is left inside, one day, it just wont work.
As I say, definitely not something I'd recommend trying. Just thought it was funny. I assumed it would be toast.

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
I had a Nano go through the wash once. Once it dried out, it worked for the most part. The only problem is that it thinks it's plugged in to a charger all the time, so it can never be turned off! The battery starts dying the second it's unplugged, and it definitely doesn't last very long at all. The Nano found new life sitting on a Harman/Kardon speaker dock and still works fine, years later :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.