Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam8675309

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I was working in garageband, listening to something I had just recorded when I heard a pop. My recording stopped playing, I began to play it again, and only my right speaker works.
I tried listening to other music(on youtube) to see if somehow garageband had set the controls to right speaker only, but it looks like my speaker doesn't work. I'm not sure if my speaker blew out? Can I test it somehow?

Does anyone have any similar experiences?
What should I do?

edit: they just started making popping noises. I've haven't been on max volume throughout any of this, actually. If I put the volume on one, they start making popping noises.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
going into the the sound preference in system preferences and switch the slider to play on the left only. If it doesn't work then yes you blew it out. Also if there's popping noises that's a sign of a bad speaker.

Take it in to get replaced.

sam8675309

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
going into the the sound preference in system preferences and switch the slider to play on the left only. If it doesn't work then yes you blew it out. Also if there's popping noises that's a sign of a bad speaker.

Take it in to get replaced.

I actually did that, and slid it to the left. Nothing came out. I tried watching videos on youtube with the volume, I tried listening to music; nothing worked, and I was convinced it blew. Whenever I clicked the f12 button to increase the volume, it made a 'crackle' noise.

Now here's the weird part.
I shut the laptop off, and turned in on again. Both speakers work. There's no crackling noise. I don't think the speaker blew out, because I probably wouldn't be able to hear things now. But, to me, the weird part is that it didn't work, and now it does, which makes me wonder if the speakers took any damage. They didn't sound too good before.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
It's just a glitch of some sort... I've had it happen a few times. Just restart, and it's fine.

I don't know what goes on with software and audio, but I think it may be some type of an overflow that causes the audio chip to cut out. But again, I really don't know.

Only in OSX.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
It's just a glitch of some sort... I've had it happen a few times. Just restart, and it's fine.

I don't know what goes on with software and audio, but I think it may be some type of an overflow that causes the audio chip to cut out. But again, I really don't know.

Only in OSX.

^ okay what he said lol, saved you a headache!

sam8675309

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010

Only in OSX.

Yep. Restarting it seemed to 'fix' it. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.