Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:35 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

With New Mac Mini, Apple Makes Switching Attractive, Afforda...

Category: Reviews
Link: With New Mac Mini, Apple Makes Switching Attractive, Affordable
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:43 PM   #2
24C
macrumors 6502a

This was a pleasant antidote to a Palmer rant. So bring on the trolls. How many dollars for a monitor?, an xyz beats a 32 meg whatever into a cocked hat....yawn.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:01 PM   #3
suntzu
macrumors regular

Rant (Ignore - Not about article, just situation in general):

You know I never understood why anti-Mac PC users keep bringing up the point that it doesn't come with a monitor, mouse, or keyboard. Maybe it's because they think little of us. After all, anyone looking at it (from the size of the box to specifications) can tell it doesn't come with that. But that doesn't stop them does it?

And notice that's pretty much all they have against it. Their only reason for the hate is money. No negative comments on the OS or the hardware itself. Or if they do, they get it all wrong.

The "more bang-for-your-buck" comment they make is really a matter of perspective isn't it? And from where they're standing it's from the geek side of things. They haven't looked at it from the average consumer's point of view. While most computer PC "techies" CAN do most everything a Mac can do on a PC, the question becomes "Can an average person do everything on a PC that a Mac can do?" I would ask them, "What is the dollar value of a simple, intuitive user end design?" That's one component you can't just buy and stick in an empty slot on your motherboard.

While we are all privileged to have this knowledge, most people aren't. To assume that EVERYONE shares their perspective is stupid and prideful. And to make comments like "Macs are easier to use because it's for stupid people." furthers this idea of pride.

So here's me attacking not the PC's hardware but the anti-Mac PC users character. <throws down gauntlet>

(End Rant)
suntzu is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 03:38 PM   #4
sorryiwasdreami
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sorryiwasdreami
I thought the article was pleasant. It hyped the mini before it cut on it (for the lack of monitor, keyboard, and mouse). But overall it was a well rounded read. It's exciting to see the press Apple is receiving right now.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 05:12 PM   #5
shamino
macrumors 68040

A few nits to pick. First off, the cheap $400 Dell still can't read DVDs, even if you upgrade to a CD-RW.

Second, he mentions "what if you want to keep your PC attached to its keyboard, mouse and monitor". Well, you could buy another of each. Or you could simply buy a KVM switchbox. A two-port switch isn't very expensive. four-port switches aren't that bad either. I use one at home (that switches audio ports as well as keyboard, mouse and video) so that my single 22" monitor can be shared by two Macs and two PCs. Including four sets of cables (one for each computer), the whole shebang cost about $200. Different models with a wide variety of different features can be purchased for a wide variety of prices.

Third, he says that you'll need a USB hub, because the Mac's two ports will be used by your keyboard and mouse. Every USB keyboard I've seen includes an internal hub, so you can plug your mouse into the keyboard. (Note, this only applies to real USB keyboards. Not those PS/2-style keyboards that include an adapter cable.) So you should still have at least one free USB port, even after attaching keyboard and mouse.

Of course, a good quality powered USB hub is still useful, since many people will have a lot of devices. My Mac, for instance, has six USB devices sharing its two ports (keyboard, mouse, printer, camera dock, PDA dock, memory card reader.) They keyboard and mouse share one port (with the remaining keyboard port sometimes used for attaching game controllers.) The remaining devices attach to a seven-port powered hub.
shamino is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 07:41 PM   #6
suntzu
macrumors regular

I couldn't send this to your email Greg (gregnacu) but go ahead and do whatever you want to do with my rant. It's a rant after all so use in moderation and don't use it when operating heavy machinery.
suntzu is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion