Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cined

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking for a software package that will log all incoming and outgoing traffic on my network.

I aim to have a monitor setup with a realtime log of this traffic in order to monitor it constantly.

Is there any software that's capable of this out there that's friendly with a mac?

Thanks.

(Am using an Airport Extreme as a router).

Last edited:

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Not quite sure exactly what you want to log.

You can get a summary of the volume of network traffic that has passed through your router since it started up, from the router itself.

Or do you want a performance monitoring tool, to also see the current bandwidth consumption, with a history of the bandwidth consumption ? OS X Server can probaby do this for you in enough detail.

Or do you want a network log ? logging all network activity, from which Mac to whatever IP Address and back again, the port used and the date / time ?

Or surely you don't want to log all the network traffic ?

Or was it something else ? Perhaps only HTTP traffic from the Mac Server ?

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Netflow

I think you want a tool like netflow the only problem is the Airport doesn't export flow data. The best I thing you are going to be able to see it how much data is being sent and received via snmp.

deppest

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
not sure if it does logs but I find Little Snitch quite useful for monitoring network traffic in OSX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.