Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Help! I have a G3ibook 700mhz and I am running the latest version of OS X. I was using my ibook before and was installing pocketmac to sync up my cell phone to my computer, when i left it unattended for a bit. I came back, picked it up and my computer got a kernel panic. Now the problem is that whenever I boot the machine I get the apple logo, and where it normally would start booting into OS X, it gives me a kernel panic telling me to restart the computer. The worst part of it all is that I can not turn on my backlight either because it wont let me change the backlight settings until I get into OS X. The only way I know that I am getting a kernel panic is by shining a very very bright light into the apple logo on the back of the ibook.

I would reinstall OS X, but the problem is that my parents threw out my Applecare CDs, and I am rather far away from the nearest apple store. Anything I can do to fix this? Im currently using my pc and I am dying to start using my ibook again.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Oo, I zapped the PRAM and the LCD is back on, but I am still getting the kernel panic.

It says

panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook4,3".

Bunch of gibberish

Then it tells me panic: We are hanging here

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
wait, is there any way I can get it to boot into OS 9?

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
jadam said:
wait, is there any way I can get it to boot into OS 9?
If you don't currently have OS 9 installed on your iBook, you'll have to use an OS 9 install disk and boot from that.

If you do have it installed, you can use option to bring up the different boot options. (Gonna need your trusty flashlight though!) :)

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
bah I have none of the cds, so im installing ubuntu linux on it for now. Ill get my friends ibook cd's tomorrow and maybe reinstall OS X depending on how much I like ubuntu linux.

BillabongboyMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2005
Same thing happened to me...

on my imac. Sent a ticket off to pocketmac and havn't got any solutions from them yet. my advice is to stay away from pocketmac until they sort out their stuff. No software should cause this type of issue, especially when it is loaded onto a relatively new and clean system
:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.