Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Since the I processors are begin put in almost all computers now standard, except for some reason apple computers, they are still shipping with the less powerful out dated Intel Core 2 Duo's (Well, at least that's what I have been told, and don't want to believe, lol I wish the I's never came out now, it makes the core duos look crappy)......
So since apple has been updating almost ever product on the line this year, Ipod Nano, Ipod Touch, Iphone, MacPros (The replacing the Xserves now, they got upgraded but no one seemed to notice), Itunes got upgraded, mac mini, macbook air, and macbook. They all got upgraded. I was wondering again, since these new chips came out, if apple would probably upgrade all the machines to at least an I3.? Including the mac mini? or is that not likely. and do you think the price would rise? i really want a new mac, mines from 06, out dated, and looks bad, isn't even x64....
Bottom line, I want to know is it likely that a new mac mini will come out because the market is pushing the new intel chips... I want to make sure I have a current gen. intel computer. Buy now or wait?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Buy now, it's the current gen. When another gen comes out buy it. Keep chasing technology.

MikieMcBikie

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
TN
A: nvidia and intel has to work something out that allows the 320m(or higher) onto the i3's(etc) motherboards...

B: intel makes a decent integrated video card...

C: apple makes the mini bigger to accommodate a dedicated video card...

at first glance you want option a

b probably wont happen, relatively speaking

me, i want option c

:)

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I have a 2009 uMB 2.4 with 4GB/500GB Seagate Hybrid and quite frankly being in the IT field and using many different computers especially laptops, mine is fast, quite, smooth and works perfectly.

It may be an Intel Core 2 Duo, but the combo of Apple's logic board, and OSX 10.6 this thing blows away even the fastest new Dell Latitude I have with Windows 7. I have a 2.66 i7 with 4GB and a WD 320GB 7200 RPM drive, however the Antivirus software SAV 11.0 just kills this thing, it is just so frustrating to have the latest and greatest and I hate to use it just because of the way it performs.

I do not have to worry about stupid Virus software, it turns on in less than 20 seconds and shuts off in about 5 seconds.

I used to chase Technology and always had the latest and greatest but I spent more time loading and reloading I never had the chance to enjoy my Laptop, well that stopped in 2009 and I will never go back.

I even bought a 2009 Mac Mini which has an Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB and I am about to put another Seagate Hybrid in there as well. It may not be the greatest of systems and it doesn't have a really fast GPU but it does what I want it to.

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
Bottom line, I want to know is it likely that a new mac mini will come out because the market is pushing the new intel chips... I want to make sure I have a current gen. intel computer. Buy now or wait?

Thanks!

dude, you want to make sure you have the current gen. Then by that logic, you should buy the current gen mac mini.....

Then when the next gen version comes out in order to have the "current gen" you should buy the new one...and the next one...and the next one. Just ask mommy and daddy to provide you with the funds, all your friends will love you. Trust. you'll be the biggest :apple: troll ever.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
this is really easy answer you have a 2006 you waited a long time. wait longer. very easy two reasons. the 2009 that came out in oct was a big jump. the 2.66ghz c2d processor would have been a nice jump for you. you waited.

well the 2010 is the same 2.66ghz cpu the same 1066 ram and a slower dvd player plus upgrade of the hdd is hard to do. it was a cosmetic change not a performance change. Only 1 piece inside improved the gpu nothing else. It also did not improve a lot. The new gpu is not a big difference unless you game and a mini really is not made to game.

wait for a 2011 it will be no later the June 1st. How do I know I don't but sometimes I get it right. By the way you have done a good job of not chasing the upgrades don't f up now.

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Any thoughts on the new Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs being thrown into a 2011 Mini? Rumor has it the production was recently ramped up after several demos for chip buyers, IE Apple, went over well. I know it will be unveiled in January, but what do you guys think the chances are it's to market for a Q2 release to replace the C2D the Mini and Macbook?

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
A: nvidia and intel has to work something out that allows the 320m(or higher) onto the i3's(etc) motherboards...

B: intel makes a decent integrated video card...

C: apple makes the mini bigger to accommodate a dedicated video card...

at first glance you want option a

b probably wont happen, relatively speaking

me, i want option c

:)

Apple need to offer something between the $699 mini and the $2499 Mac Pro for those of us that do not want an all in one or don't like glossy screens. Whether this is a larger mini or a smaller Pro. A $1599 computer positioned between the mini and Pro both in size and capability would be the one product I'd camp outside an Apple Store for.

cosmos

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
My thoughts

I cannot see Apple changing the form factor of the Mini anytime soon. Perhaps they could upgrade the CPU IF it offers a better GPU onboard as well. If it does not then IMHO they are not going to jump to something different in the short term. I cannot see even a processor upgrade before Summer or Fall 2011.

The Mini design is all about low power consumption in a small form factor. Steve is not going to approve making it bigger in order to get more performance.

As for the wish for a machine between the Mini and the Mac Pro, would Apple sell such a machine? Maybe, but it would certainly hurt Mac Pro sales.

IMHO, they would only offer such a machine if they thought that the sales and margins on each unit would counteract losses to the Mac Pro line.

Personally, I like the current lineup of Mac machines for the most part. The only thing that I would like to see most is an iMac with easier upgrade options.

Last edited:

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Any thoughts on the new Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs being thrown into a 2011 Mini? Rumor has it the production was recently ramped up after several demos for chip buyers, IE Apple, went over well. I know it will be unveiled in January, but what do you guys think the chances are it's to market for a Q2 release to replace the C2D the Mini and Macbook?

Any thoughts on this guys?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Apple need to offer something between the $699 mini and the $2499 Mac Pro for those of us that do not want an all in one or don't like glossy screens. Whether this is a larger mini or a smaller Pro. A $1599 computer positioned between the mini and Pro both in size and capability would be the one product I'd camp outside an Apple Store for.

This has been argued and hashed and discussed beyond belief. It's also called an xMac. Apple is not going to mess up sales of iMacs with a mini-tower between a Mini and a MacPro.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Cosmos says a Mac between the mini and Pro would hurt Pro sales.
Old-wiz says a Mac between the mini and Pro would hurt iMac sales.

But how many new sales would be gained from Mac users that aren't buying either the Pro or iMac because they aren't the right product? Imagine if automakers were like this. An all in one do a little bit of everything sounds like a mini van or crossover. Mac Pro sounds like a Corvette or Viper. Mac mini is the Nissan Leaf. Does those three types of vehicles fit the needs of every driver? No. That's why mid sized cars are a huge part of the market.

Lot's of people are looking for the mid sized Mac that fits their needs.

aaaaaaron

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
i'm waiting for a 12-core mini :D

..just kidding. i also want an xmac though. mac pro is too expensive to justify for me, the mac mini isn't quite there (still, i may be buying this come march if nothing better is out, because it's way cheaper), and i don't want an all in one imac.

if only apple could take their heads (and wallets) out of the mobile market for a little while, we might get some good computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.