Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
ook... It's cheaper so I could buy more for it or just save it.

The MBP and Imac i3 are exactly the same price... I can upgrade the RAM both to 8GB, the only true difference is the Intel chip.. The Imac is a i3, the MBP is only a C2D........
Thanks!

Or should I wait till all the new macs are upgrade in Jan...? or just pull the trigger now.?

Last edited by a moderator:

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
You could probably do with a wait, if your current computer is a coreduo/core2duo 2ghz blackbook.

Apple will probably make some major changes to their macbook pro line for next year, which could possibly include ssds throughout, and newer cpus/gpus etc. However the iMac will most likely only see an incremental increase next summer.

I personally like iMacs over the notebooks, they are more powerful and offer a bigger, better screen. If you think you'll be moving around a lot with the computer, might be worth it to wait.

darknite38

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
The iMac will last you longer.

If you want portability, go for the MBP. However, if you can wait, wait until the new refresh and see if it is good enough for the upgrade.

If you don't care about portability, I would go for the iMac. Since you already have a blackbook, why don't you get the best of both worlds and get the iMac?

The i3 will last you a long time as long as you don't use it 100% every day. iMac's are very reliable computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.