Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Can't resize HFS+ partition

I've been helping someone out in the Windows on Mac forum and it's no longer a Windows on Mac issue. It's really a straight OS X issue at this point.

Basically the user is running 10.6.5 and has removed their Boot Camp partition, but is unable to grow their partition into the newly empty space.

I suggested that the user turn on journaling and try repairing the filesystem from the startup disc. Does anyone know of any other reasons why Disk Utility would not allow the partition to be resized dynamically?

The thread is here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058958

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:32 PM   #2
zachsilvey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Battle Ground
In my experience this happens where there is less than 20% of the drive free.

I, personally, would just backup, reformat and reinstall OS X.
__________________
/ MacBook Pro 15 base w/256 SSD (Mid-2010) / iPhone 4 16gb / iPad 32gb 3G / Mac Pro (1,1) / Cinema Display (20)
zachsilvey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
balamw
Thread Starter
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsilvey View Post
In my experience this happens where there is less than 20% of the drive free.

I, personally, would just backup, reformat and reinstall OS X.
Doesn't look like that's the case here according to the screenshot posted, it's mostly empty if anything.

I'd probably try CCC/SuperDuper off and back first, but yeah it's FUBAR.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:21 PM   #4
jdiamond
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
IMO, the Mac's support of a boot camp partition is completely incompatible with normal file OS-X partition operations. At least as far as Leopard goes (I haven't tried it on Snow Leopard), if you create a boot camp partition AT ALL, you will never be able to resize partitions on that hard drive UNTIL you completely reformat it from scratch. Deleting the boot camp partition isn't enough, because it doesn't restore the volume to an OS-X friendly state.

So you'll have to copy the data to an external drive and format it. For me, the best tool on the planet for this is SuperDuper!, and for this use, the free version will work fine.

- Jeff
jdiamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:24 PM   #5
zachsilvey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Battle Ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiamond View Post
IMO, the Mac's support of a boot camp partition is completely incompatible with normal file OS-X partition operations. At least as far as Leopard goes (I haven't tried it on Snow Leopard), if you create a boot camp partition AT ALL, you will never be able to resize partitions on that hard drive UNTIL you completely reformat it from scratch. Deleting the boot camp partition isn't enough, because it doesn't restore the volume to an OS-X friendly state.

So you'll have to copy the data to an external drive and format it. For me, the best tool on the planet for this is SuperDuper!, and for this use, the free version will work fine.

- Jeff
I have been able to remove and resize the partition but you must use the BootCamp assistant. If you used disk utility to remove the windows partition you begin having problems.
__________________
/ MacBook Pro 15 base w/256 SSD (Mid-2010) / iPhone 4 16gb / iPad 32gb 3G / Mac Pro (1,1) / Cinema Display (20)
zachsilvey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:29 PM   #6
balamw
Thread Starter
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsilvey View Post
I have been able to remove and resize the partition but you must use the BootCamp assistant. If you used disk utility to remove the windows partition you begin having problems.
Odd. I've been able to go the other way (shrinking the OS X partition to increase the Windows one, deleting the old Windows partition and making a new one in Disk Utility) on several of my Macs without issues. I wonder what is going on when you manually remove the Boot Camp partition that is causing this?

Wonder if it may just be that the GPT and MBR partition tables are out of sync.

Said user has been all over the place creating and replacing partitions so the partition map is probably a mess.
'
'B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't resize a partition - why parish OS X Mavericks (10.9) 4 Mar 13, 2014 08:25 PM
Cant Resize Partition xpmrz Mac Basics and Help 2 Oct 19, 2013 09:59 AM
/Applications and /Users on Ext3 (or any non-HFS+) partition) idoit Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 4 Jul 30, 2013 02:19 PM
--HFS Partition disappear from Mac OSX [PLEASE HELP] peterpan0215 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 1 Jul 3, 2013 08:11 PM
--HFS Partition disappear from Mac OSX [PLEASE HELP] peterpan0215 MacBook Pro 0 Jul 2, 2013 11:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC