Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

012258-appstore_overview20101020.jpg

Despite some recent predictions to the contrary, The Loop claims the Mac App Store won't be launching until January 2011.
Reports earlier this week claimed Apple would launch the Mac App Store on December 13, ahead of the holiday shopping season. However, according to my sources, Apple will launch the store in the new year.
The previous report pegged the launch as early as December 13th. The later January launch would make more sense as Apple still needs to ready the final version of Mac OS X 10.6.6 to coincide with the Mac App Store launch. A January launch would still coincide with Apple's original plans to launch within 90 days of their October announcement.

Article Link: Mac App Store Still on Track for January 2011 Launch

jz1492

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2005
2011, the year of the guaranteed-clean personal computer

Last edited:

rayleterleir

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
I'm not sure about that. It's entirely possible it could launch Dec 13, we're already seeing hints of the App Store in 10.6.6

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
As far as I know, Apple never rushes out features or updates. When they say "in 90 days", it means "no more than a week earlier than the 90th day". When they said iOS4.2 would be available in November, it was the end of November. Therefore a December launch is not really likely to happen.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I also agree that I think it will be close to the end of that 90 days. Its better that they take the time to get it right, there is a lot riding on it.

kilowattradio

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
Oregon
The Mac App Store will not be the success that the iPhone App Store is because the iPhone store has low prices and the Mac App store doesn't allow shareware where you can try and buy.
I'm not going to plunk down $29 or more to buy an app that may not be what I like and be stuck with lemon software without the ability to get my money back.
:eek:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Outside of the Macbook Air, this was a VERY bland year for Mac. Can't wait until next year. There is finally good stuff coming.

Cabrewolf

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
I sure am looking forward to this. I've actually delayed many purchases because I want to have a place where I can search for software, read reviews and pick the best one. For example, I need a torrent client and have no clue which one will work the best. I don't have time to nerd it out and search for reviews. This is just perfect.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The Mac App Store will not be the success that the iPhone App Store is because the iPhone store has low prices and the Mac App store doesn't allow shareware where you can try and buy.
I'm not going to plunk down $29 or more to buy an app that may not be what I like and be stuck with lemon software without the ability to get my money back.

I think that it would be good for indie developers giving away free or low cost apps. But if Apple insists on bringing only "mainstream" "commercial" softwares selling at $30+, I don't think it will get as much success as that of the iPhone app store. But it helps to kill off the impression that "Mac has no softwares".

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I sure am looking forward to this. I've actually delayed many purchases because I want to have a place where I can search for software, read reviews and pick the best one. For example, I need a torrent client and have no clue which one will work the best. I don't have time to nerd it out and search for reviews. This is just perfect.

Transmission.

And I doubt torrent clients will be allowed on the App store.

Also, MacUpdate.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

Ya, because there is no place on the entire internet where folks can search for software, read reviews etc. Certainly not macupdate.com, versiontracker.com, etc, etc. along with many many others. And there's even this thing called Google too.

Search for 'Transmission'.

Tundraboy

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2009

You gotta be kidding!!!!! Steve Jobs would never allow a torrent client into the Mac app store!!!!! DENIED!!!!!! Just look at the app store now, Apples walled garden. Soon we'll have to use PC's to jailbreak our Mac's, how ironic will that be??!!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Outside of the Macbook Air, this was a VERY bland year for Mac. Can't wait until next year. There is finally good stuff coming.

I don't think it was such a bland :apple: year. What about:

The iPhone 4 prototype lost at the bar, ended up on a website blog, and blogger getting his home raided
"antenna-gate"
"you're holding it wrong"
"we don't see it [USB 3] taking off right now"
New MBA (as you mentioned)
Steve the ninja
Hints of OS/X Lion
New Mac App store coming (love it or hate it)
The "magical" iPad debuted and launched this year
New iPod Nano

We've had an exciting year IMO. :cool:

EDIT: I just realized you referenced Mac and not Apple as a whole. Sorry. But hey, cool list of things to remember the year by anyway.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You gotta be kidding!!!!! Steve Jobs would never allow a torrent client into the Mac app store!!!!! DENIED!!!!!! Just look at the app store now, Apples walled garden. Soon we'll have to use PC's to jailbreak our Mac's, how ironic will that be??!!

Do you realize that Mac App Store is OPTIONAL? Of course not, clueless post is clueless.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

You can do this elsewhere? I know if you buy software from a brick and mortar store and you open it the only thing they will allow you to do is exchange for another of the same software if the CD/DVD is defective. But they certainly don't give you your money back if you have opened it or even exchange it for something different.

And I haven't bought too much stuff from online sites (one reason I like the idea of a Mac app store) because don't know most of it exists unless I really have a need for that software and then I'm a little reluctant to buy from some company I've never heard of til then so don't have much experience about return policies from buying online (best I've got is trial period software that usually doesn't have full functionality, kinda like the "lite" and "Free" versions of software you see on the app store).

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005

So it sounds like you do, in fact, have the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.