Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:18 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Sony admits mistake in trying to compete with iPod by using ...

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Sony admits mistake in trying to compete with iPod by using proprietary formats
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:31 AM   #2
xtremdav45
macrumors newbie

If Macbytes had tags like FARK.com did, this would get the tag.
xtremdav45 is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:18 AM   #3
Lacero
macrumors 601

Sony wasn't competing against the iPod, they were competing against the listening public. The public already embraced MP3, Sony had to go screw things over by forcing ATRAC down people's throats, and the public fought back at Sony with their wallets. I hope Sony top management were fired over this extremely embarrassing fiasco.
Lacero is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 03:12 AM   #4
dejo

Maybe Sony can convince the rest of the Marlin Joint Development Association (see this article) to use FairPlay as the standard for DRM. I can dream, can't I?
dejo is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:47 AM   #5
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

OFF-TOPIC

this sounds like the same fiasco letting that Sony president talk in mwsf05.
redAPPLE is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 09:55 AM   #6
Bendit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
Maybe Sony can convince the rest of the Marlin Joint Development Association (see this article) to use FairPlay as the standard for DRM. I can dream, can't I?
Apple isn't licensing fairplay to anyone. Atleast not yet. I know many companies have already asked to make iTMS compatible stores and players but Apple refuses.
Bendit is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:41 PM   #7
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
poor sony, what a bunch of [bleep]ers! have you ever noticed that atrac sounds very much like 8-track and we all know, that format stuck around! why are companies like you, sony, suddenly so far from the forefront of technology? you used to innovate and always have the coolest electronics around and now you can't even figure out that everyone, as in all the people on this planet, already have a format and it's called mp3. perhaps you might want to start handing out a few pink slips to the executive board and take a fresh look at the fact that you suck!... well except for your tvs, i quite like them
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:59 PM   #8
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendit
Apple isn't licensing fairplay to anyone. Atleast not yet. I know many companies have already asked to make iTMS compatible stores and players but Apple refuses.
"At least not yet" is the key. Perhaps the MJDA can make Apple an offer that is just too tempting. Again, I can dream, can't I?
dejo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion