Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:19 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Amazon's top-selling desktops

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Amazon\'s top-selling desktops
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:35 PM   #2
pourhadi
macrumors member

Holy crap.
pourhadi is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:42 PM   #3
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Daveway
I posted this a few days ago.

Isn't it amazing that Apple has the top 5 computers on Amazon yet still on has a market share of 3.4%!
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:01 AM   #4
Kagetenshi
macrumors 6502

*Drools*

Gods I hope that's realů

~J
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:16 AM   #5
tubedogg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagetenshi
Gods I hope that's realů
As opposed to all the fake pages that Amazon posts?
tubedogg is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:33 AM   #6
iJaz
macrumors 6502a

Macs seem to be high on Amazon's lists all the time, just looking at those lists makes it is hard to beleive that Macs only have a 2% market share!
Hopefully the Mini Mac will change this!
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:42 AM   #7
Kagetenshi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedogg
As opposed to all the fake pages that Amazon posts?
No, as opposed to my having dreamed it in a delirious haze at 1:00 in the morning :P

~J
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:41 AM   #8
macridah
macrumors 6502a

That site is updated hourly ... and the top 5 computers are mac's (jan 20 1140pm pst). I can't wait til we get numbers on the computer market share ... apple has got to increase big time.
macridah is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:49 AM   #9
ALoLA
macrumors regular

Anyone know if market share includes the business sector as well? I'd venture a guess that Mac market share in the private sector is moving up quickly.
ALoLA is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:51 AM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G4

The top 5 selling desktops being Macs may have been true days ago... but as of Wednesday when I checked, the Mini wasn't even in the top 50. When I submitted the link, both Minis were in the top 3. Now, they're the top two desktops!

Among laptops, an iBook is the top seller... and it's their top-selling computer overall (desktops and laptops combined). Laptops seem to sell better than desktops at Amazon.

But even in the top 10 among all computers, including laptops, you'll still find both Minis (And several Apple laptops.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...llers/-/pc/all

I wonder if the Mini will climb to outsell that iBook?
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 03:00 AM   #11
iJaz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macridah

That site is updated hourly ... and the top 5 computers are mac's (jan 20 1140pm pst). I can't wait til we get numbers on the computer market share ... apple has got to increase big time.
I don't know about that, the iMac (currently no. 3, 4 and 5) and the PowerMac (currently no. 14, 17 and 23) have been up in the top 25 in Amazon's list since they came out, it hasn't helped, yet.
Also, the iBooks are at no. 1, 4, 9, and 11 and PowerBooks at no. 8, 15, 18, 20 and 23 in the top selling notebook section, this reflects how it usually looks like at Amazon.
One could almost believe that Apple are dominating the computer market when you see this statistics, but we all know that this isn't true...
Yet!

Last edited by B-52 Macer; Jan 21, 2005 at 03:17 AM.
iJaz is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 03:08 AM   #12
nagromme
macrumors G4

Amazon's just one store--and a unique one--not representative of the general public. But it's not a Mac-specific store--most of the shoppers there are certainly Windows users.

It would be interesting to see market share numbers broken down by OS for:

* Home computers
* School computers
* SOHO
* Corporate
* Government

AND broken down by:

* Personal computing - A human actually sitting down and doing work or play (what most people think of as computing)
* Servers and cluster nodes (file and web servers, render farms, etc.)
* Embedded/appliances/equipment - Cash registers, manufacturing equipment, elevator control, monitoring systems, ATMs, info kiosks, game machines, etc.)

Then, out of curiosity, I'd like to see those numbers adjusted for replacement cycles and usable life of hardware.

I'm betting that for actual personal computing, at the home, school, and SOHO level, Macs have a much greater market share than is often reported.

Throw in corporate buyers, and all those "non-computer computers" like web servers and cash registers, and the overall picture is different.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:49 AM   #13
robbieduncan

Do Amazon even sell Dells? If not then you really have to take this with a big pinch of salt. And in reply to someone above, yes market share includes business so when I look around and see thousands of HP desktops (yes thousands) here that are all ordered direct via a business account with HP you realise that this is probably a drop in the ocean. Sad but true.
robbieduncan is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 06:29 AM   #14
iGav
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan
Do Amazon even sell Dells?
only Dell sell Dell don't they??
Old Jan 21, 2005, 07:52 AM   #15
Bendit
macrumors regular

Not to burst anyones bubbles but... Apple and Amazon have a strong friendship and alliance. They keep mentioning each other on their pages. Apple keeps mentioning Amazon in keynotes, include references to it in software, use their 1-Click patented shopping method... in return Amazon promotes Apple which in turns indirectly creates more money for Amazon.

If amazon had their own brand of computers I am sure they'd list it as the top seller on the front page.
Bendit is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 08:30 AM   #16
SuperChuck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-52 Macer
Macs seem to be high on Amazon's lists all the time, just looking at those lists makes it is hard to beleive that Macs only have a 2% market share!
Hopefully the Mini Mac will change this!
3.3% by the latest statistics, and I do believe that includes all computers, not just home users.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 08:55 AM   #17
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
if (browser.os() == "MacOSX"){
topSellersPage.display(shuffle(apple.productline()) ;
}
else{
topSellersPage.display(topSellers.list()) ;
}
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:50 AM   #18
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendit
If amazon had their own brand of computers I am sure they'd list it as the top seller on the front page.
If you mean that Amazon is lying and makes up their sales ranks to promote products from companies they have good relationships with, that's not true. You'll see the products move up and down the list based on hourly sales.

Case in point: look how eMachines (never again! mine was defective junk) has skyrocketed this morning

Nobody thinks that Amazon equates to the overall market, but it DOES reach a lot of Windows users--more of them than Mac users. The Mini rising to the top before it's even available is a good sign.

Last edited by nagromme; Jan 21, 2005 at 11:57 AM.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:53 AM   #19
narco
macrumors 65816

This is great news, especially since Amazon seems to be the best store on the internet. Plus, I'm sure a lot of people who research computers before buying them will check out the top-selling list. Most consumers, especially the ones who aren't computer-savvy, usually trust the most popular items since "everyone else trusts them."

I still think we're a while away from a huge market-share increase, but this is a great start.

Fishes,
narco.
narco is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:59 AM   #20
KCK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
If you mean that Amazon is lying and makes up their sales ranks to promote products from companies they have good relationships with, that's not true. You'll see the products move up and down the list based on hourly sales.

Case in point: look how eMachines (never again! mine was defective junk) has skyrocketed this morning

Nobody thinks that Amazon equates to the overall market, but it DOES reach a lot of Windows users--more of them than Mac users. The Mini rising to the top before it's even available is a good sign.
Well the first time I looked at the provided link it was an iMac the #1 seller and Apple had 4 of the top 5 positions. About 5 minutes later when I looked again a Mac Mini was the number 1 seller and Apple still had 4 of the top 5 sellers.
KCK is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:30 PM   #21
iJaz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck
3.3% by the latest statistics, and I do believe that includes all computers, not just home users.
Hmmm, where have you seen those numbers, that's maybe the US numbers?
It was 1.9% according to this article (they are quoting IDC and the numbers are for the 3rd quarter of 2004): http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...otebook17.html

Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:13 PM   #22
runninmac
macrumors 65816

Thats frickin awsome! it has to be helpin the market share alot
runninmac is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:19 PM   #23
Vector
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hmmm, where have you seen those numbers, that's maybe the US numbers?
It was 1.9% according to this article (they are quoting IDC and the numbers are for the 3rd quarter of 2004): http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...otebook17.html
I think the US percent is closer to 3% because Acer, Fujitsu, and Lenovo are not big brands in the US, but are huge in Asia. The 47.9% other category probably includes many non-US makers that have little to no US marketshare. This would dilute apple's share relative to its US share.
Vector is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 01:23 PM   #24
Lacero
macrumors 601

Quote:
WOW! Given the projections for the iPods, it looks like even without the introduction of the shuffle, 1Q and 2Q of this year, Apple will sell at least 10 million iPods by the summer. Since the introduction of the shuffle, Apple could well be selling 12-15 million iPods by this summer. iPods are already a billion dollar business for Apple. Woo hoo.
Lacero is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:07 PM   #25
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveway00
Isn't it amazing that Apple has the top 5 computers on Amazon yet still on has a market share of 3.4%!
Not really. Simply. Apple is incapable of meeting demand. For anything. EVER. I think this is intentional. For what reason I don't know but year aver year they drastically underestimate demands for the iPod. They under estimated the demands for the iPod Mini. And history repeats itself with underestimating the demand for the Mini. A coworker's home system at work died. They actually brought it in on Friday. I troubleshooted the problem to being a power spike that fried the system. I was able to retrieve the info off of her computer by ripping out the HD and burn it to a couple CD's. When asking about a new system I immediately told here to go to Apple.com and look at the mini. She did during lunch. Unfortunately the wait time of 3-4 weeks won't work for her so she's going with a Dell desktop that is going to ship Monday. There isn't any mystery here. Whoever deals with production in all its various facets at apple is a freaking idiot.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen

Last edited by SiliconAddict; Jan 23, 2005 at 11:10 PM.
SiliconAddict is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion