Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2005, 08:46 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

iPod Amplifier

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: iPod Amplifier
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: iPod Amplifier
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
Wow. My ears hurt with the iPod volume at 50%. I keep mine closer to 25% all the time (when listening on headphones; my iTrip demands 50-70% volume, which is why I know that my ears hurt when I put the iPod on without having turned it back down). People really need this?

Ah well. He did mention rap. Maybe that's the key; more cars containing deaf teenagers driving down the road do seem to be polluting the air with rap than Barry Manilow ...
jettredmont is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:36 PM   #3
SoundGuyDave
macrumors newbie

deaf?

This guy must be deaf. I suppose if you were using bigger headphones all the time, but for the small ear bud style, the ipod should be fine. This guy is a bit of a clown too, saying there is no better way to listen to a finely mastered song. Yes there is, and it doesn't involve compressing it with MP3 or AAC.
SoundGuyDave is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Large studio style quality head phones use larger drives.
Larger drives require more power.
This power isn't provided adequately by the iPod.

For an extreme case, try plugging you home stereo speakers directly into your ipod and see if it can power those large speakers. It won't. You'll get a whisper out of it.

Now, I personally think that having studio ear phones defeats the purpose of the iPod, so I don't really care that my Mini can't power the head phones. In noisy environments my volume might hit 50%, but with these in-ear buds I'm not pushing any more than that. Quiet settings I can deal with 20%.

And please, if the old fogies on the board could please refrain from calling all us younger members "deaf teenagers driving down the road do seem to be polluting the air with rap" that would be great. The guy mentions The GooGoo Dolls by name, as well as John Mayor. He probably mentions Rap, as a genre, because as you know it typically contains high bass. And if you didn't know, Bass requires more power from the source. Thus if you wanted to test power, and refer in an article to how well the iPod powers a set of speakers, you would probably use a genre that typically has high bass. And a genre that everyone is familiar with (even if they don't like the genre), and has bass as a requirement, and often deep heavy base, you would use Rap as your example.

~Tyler, Who's only listening habits when it comes to rap, comes from Bob Dylan.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 02:03 PM   #5
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
This guy must be deaf. I suppose if you were using bigger headphones all the time, but for the small ear bud style, the ipod should be fine. This guy is a bit of a clown too, saying there is no better way to listen to a finely mastered song. Yes there is, and it doesn't involve compressing it with MP3 or AAC.
Perhaps he was referring to what the article was about? I can't say I've tested, but maybe he is saying that with the amp, and his nice set of headphones, the music sounds better listening to AAC tracks, than if he was using an unpowered iPod playing uncompressed files.

Obviously the best of thing would be to use both, the Amp and Uncompressed files, but the article wasn't about uncompressed files, it was a product review for an iPod amp.

~Tyler

Earendil is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Mainyehc
macrumors 6502

Someone mentioned his ears hurt at just 50%... Is it just me, or... When on the underground, I listen to my iPod sometimes at 80% volume! And I'm not deaf, I can assure you. In fact, I have a fantastic hearing.

Btw, I live in Portugal (Europe)... Could this have anything to do with some volume limits imposed by the EU? I once read something about that; It seems that at some point, the french authorities forbid Apple from selling iPods until they limited the max. volume on them. And so they did. The only thing I don't know is whether Apple is selling iPods with a different firmware that limits the volume only on France or in all the countries of the Union. Anyone knows something about that?
Mainyehc is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:50 PM   #7
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainyehc
Someone mentioned his ears hurt at just 50%... Is it just me, or... When on the underground, I listen to my iPod sometimes at 80% volume! And I'm not deaf, I can assure you. In fact, I have a fantastic hearing.*snip*
Actually, on reflection, I can remember listening to my iPod on a flight once (right next to the prop on a short flight home from college), and while I was using the normal white buds at the time, I had the volume up well past 50%. I know this because in the dark of the plane, I kept upping the volume until I could at least hear the lyrics. When the stewardess asked me to "please turn it off for landing" (to which I said, it's not a cell phone, it's an iPod, which I don't think she understood, but I wasn't going to piss her off). I put away without changing the volume. I put the music back on while in the terminal, and just about blew myself away. I know I didn't accidently change the volume because on the flight back I checked to see what felt like normal volume, and it was up around 80-85%.

You don't need to be deaf for high volumes not to hurt your ears. I think that most volumes that "hurt" are a brains perception, not your ear actually going through pain. Now, prolonged listening at 85% probably isn't t good for your ear, but then, apparently, neither is sitting next to the prop on a commuter plane, as they share the same volume volume levels

~Tyler

Earendil is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2005, 09:27 AM   #8
jbembe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil
You don't need to be deaf for high volumes not to hurt your ears. I think that most volumes that "hurt" are a brains perception, not your ear actually going through pain. Now, prolonged listening at 85% probably isn't t good for your ear, but then, apparently, neither is sitting next to the prop on a commuter plane, as they share the same volume volume levels r
That's probably why one should probably purchase a nice set of sound-isolating earbuds like those offered by Sure instead of this amplifier. If the amp connected to the bottom port of the iPod, charged it and offered better sound quality maybe it would be worth it. As it is, its an excuse to blow out your eardrums...
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:04 AM   #9
mullet
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mullet
I couldn't agree with jbembe more. Recently, I purchased some sound isolating earphones from shure, the E3Cs. They are made for being in loud environments without deafening yourself. To get great sound you have to get a good seal. When I'm in the subway or on a plane I can't even put the sound past 50% on my iPod. The idea is that they are accurate in their sound reproduction and would fall in the category of conservation. There are a few models and manufacturers of these earphones, shure and etymotic to name a few. They have a price range of $100-$500 depending on how much of an audiophile you are. Plus they're not fugly like that amplifier. Who in their right mind would want to buy that when they can get more stylish earphones from shure or etymotic at virtually the same price?

~mullet
mullet is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:22 PM   #10
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbembe
That's probably why one should probably purchase a nice set of sound-isolating earbuds like those offered by Sure instead of this amplifier. If the amp connected to the bottom port of the iPod, charged it and offered better sound quality maybe it would be worth it. As it is, its an excuse to blow out your eardrums...
Or use it for it's intended purpose, with a good set of seal cup studio head phones. Who here or in the article ever suggested you stick ear buds in your ear and use this amp?! People are still missing the point...Though I'm not sure why I feel like enlightening you, it really doesn't make a bit of difference

~Tyler

Earendil is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:32 PM   #11
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet
I couldn't agree with jbembe more. Recently, I purchased some sound isolating earphones from shure, the E3Cs. They are made for being in loud environments without deafening yourself. To get great sound you have to get a good seal. When I'm in the subway or on a plane I can't even put the sound past 50% on my iPod. The idea is that they are accurate in their sound reproduction and would fall in the category of conservation. There are a few models and manufacturers of these earphones, shure and etymotic to name a few. They have a price range of $100-$500 depending on how much of an audiophile you are. Plus they're not fugly like that amplifier. Who in their right mind would want to buy that when they can get more stylish earphones from shure or etymotic at virtually the same price?

~mullet
People who at home want to use their studio head phones, which are going to be luggy giant things on top of your head, but are going to provide for better sound than those $500 Shures, I can guarantee it. The issue is that the iPod can't power big studio head phones, and some audiophile that has spent half a fortune on those head phones maybe be willing to spend $150 for an amp.

Again, people aren't getting it
This product is for certain people, who already have certain equipment that can't be powered by a stock iPod. This is a good product for them. Not for you all. Please don't say it's a bad product because you don't think people are smart enough not to blow their ear drums out (especially those people that targeted "deaf teenagers")

~Tyler

Earendil is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:39 AM   #12
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainyehc
Someone mentioned his ears hurt at just 50%... Is it just me, or... When on the underground, I listen to my iPod sometimes at 80% volume! And I'm not deaf, I can assure you. In fact, I have a fantastic hearing...big snip...
When I first got my 3G iPod, I tested the volume levels on the Yam, using the remote to jack up the levels. I was curious to know how much volume it would take to drown out the wind noise from my Arai helmet and at what speed. You guys in the States will be relieved, you don't have to use much more than 90% with your speed limit and still hear the 'music'. At full volume (Euro restricted) 70mph rendered the iPod unuseable.

'Experiment' over...no wonder my ears were ringing, officer! I now wear earplugs, and the fine/points has reduced the need for speed
24C is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion