Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
I'm a bit frustrated because I cannot figure this out. I have a 160GB first gen Apple TV that I just bought. I have had a 40GB Apple TV for years and love it. Wanted a second one for the bedroom. So I set up the new 160GB and connected it to my main iTunes library with all of my music. I want to be able to play this music streaming on the Apple TV. The 40GB Apple TV has an option under Music called "Shared Music". This does not appear on my 160GB. Further, in the iTunes preferences, the 40GB Apple TV says "Streaming", but the 160GB is set to Syncing, and I see no way to change this.

How in the world do I listen to the music in my iTunes library through the 160GB Apple TV without copying the songs to it??? I use Boxee and keep 4+GB bluray rips on the Apple TV hard drive for smooth playback, so I don't want to take up any room on it with music. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
...This does not appear on my 160GB. Further, in the iTunes preferences, the 40GB Apple TV says "Streaming", but the 160GB is set to Syncing, and I see no way to change this.

How in the world do I listen to the music in my iTunes library through the 160GB Apple TV without copying the songs to it???

The same way you did when you set up your 40GB.

Go to iTunes, choose the 160GB ATV, choose Custom Sync, then go through each of your media tabs (Movies, Music...etc) and make sure nothing is checked. I am pretty sure you can just uncheck "Sync Movies...Music...Podcasts..etc" at the top of each screen....then click Sync.

If you have Photos you want copied over it may spin its wheels for a bit doing that, otherwise you are good to go.

I would then imagine you can then access your entire iTunes library the same way you do with your 40GB ATV.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
The same way you did when you set up your 40GB.

Go to iTunes, choose the 160GB ATV, choose Custom Sync, then go through each of your media tabs (Movies, Music...etc) and make sure nothing is checked. I am pretty sure you can just uncheck "Sync Movies...Music...Podcasts..etc" at the top of each screen....then click Sync.

If you have Photos you want copied over it may spin its wheels for a bit doing that, otherwise you are good to go.

I would then imagine you can then access your entire iTunes library the same way you do with your 40GB ATV.

I've tried this. When I do it, Apple TV (160) says no music. And it still says "Syncing" in the Preferences.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I've tried this. When I do it, Apple TV (160) says no music. And it still says "Syncing" in the Preferences.

Your 160GB ATV is paired to your iTunes account? You entered that 5-6 digit code to do so? And it shows up in your iTunes Devices tab? On the new ATV, you have signed in to iTunes with your username/account?

FWIW my ATV also says 'Syncing' in Preferences too. I stream everything but photos. NO media resides on my ATV. And I honestly can't say if my ATV has any 'shared music' available on it...it's just always allowed me to see my entire media database as soon as I stop syncing files to it.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
you have to remove the apple tv 1 from the preferences in the itunes menu and then re-add it as streaming only. I have 2 ATV 160's and have 1 to sync to my laptop still (which I dont sync to anymore) and and the other set to stream only from either my laptop or mac mini, and then added the 1st ATV 160 to stream from my mini also. you cant have it set to sync and stream from the same computer (I think). i know you cant sync to 2 seperate computers on the same network without wiping out whats already on it...

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
all of the above suggestions did not work for me, but I finally did get it work.

set it to custom sync, made sure Music WAS checked in the syncing options, hit apply, waited for sync to complete, then as soon as it started transferring songs I hit the x to cancel it. still don't have "Shared Music" on the 160GB Apple TV but now I can go to My Music and play everything on the computer's iTunes library. Very strange and quite silly if you ask me... but it worked.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
Genius Mixes will not work. does anyone know how to be able to play genius mixes on Apple TV??? this is the main reason i wanted this thing..... argh. all of the mixes show up, but when I select one, it says "Apple TV Cannot Play This Song."

I do not want to sync 80GB of music to my Apple TV!!! Why the hell can't I just STREAM it like on the 40GB Apple TV I've had for years? This 160GB is seriously starting to annoy me.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Silly question, but is the Apple TV firmware up to date?

I'll have to look at how mine is set up at home tonight and let you know if I can help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.