Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:10 AM   #1
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

How do I access game files for a steam game?

Hello,

How do I access game files (half life 2) for a steam game? I have searched around, and there seem to be no folders containing game files that I can access. There's just Steam and the half life 2 application. Nothing else.

I know you can access the game files that make up the game (such as models, sound files, images etc) because everyone talks about finding things in the game files (on Windows). There must be a way to do it in Mac OSX too... Does anyone know of a way?

Thanks!
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:42 PM   #2
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
hey
okay here goes:
Macintosh HD
Users
<username>
Library
Application Support
Steam
SteamApps
<steam username>
half-life 2

great game!
MasterHowl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:46 PM   #3
dissolve
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterHowl View Post
hey
okay here goes:
Macintosh HD
Users
<username>
Library
Application Support
Steam
SteamApps
<steam username>
half-life 2

great game!
And once you find the app you're looking for, right-click (or control-click) and choose "Show Package Contents". This will give you the models, sound files, etc. used in the game. Alternatively, there may be a file in ~/Library/Application Support/NAME_OF_GAME, where ~ denotes your Home folder.
dissolve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Thanks for your help guys I found Half life 2 and it's contents using the path you provided, however it showed files that I don't seem to have the right applications to open. I can access the fonts and the intro video and logos, but thats it really Is there any way I can open these beige files?:

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Half life 2 contents.png
Views:	317
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	263546  
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:25 PM   #5
smirk
macrumors 6502

Well, if they're just binary files then there's no point in "opening" them -- what are you trying to actually do with them?

If they are config files then they are simply text files with a non-".txt" extension. Drag them into Text Edit and they will open right up.
smirk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:56 PM   #6
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirk View Post
Well, if they're just binary files then there's no point in "opening" them -- what are you trying to actually do with them?

If they are config files then they are simply text files with a non-".txt" extension. Drag them into Text Edit and they will open right up.
I'm trying to find all the models, images, videos and audio files in the game like you can do on Windows. In Mac OSX are they all just binary files that you can't access?

Cheers,

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games