Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123254-ipad_4_2_profile.jpg

While Apple has been widely expected to introduce a front-facing camera in the next-generation iPad to support FaceTime video chatting, the addition of a rear-facing camera has been less certain, with some observers skeptical of the functionality of such a feature on a device with a much larger form factor than pocket-sized smartphones.

Evidence for a rear-facing camera in the next-generation iPad has continued to grow, however, amidst supplier claims made in late October and claimed case leaks surfacing just yesterday.

Reuters now adds its voice to the mix, becoming the first mainstream news outlet to report that the updated iPad will include both front- and rear-facing cameras.
Component suppliers for Apple Inc's iPad are gearing up for a new round of production in the first quarter, sources said on Friday, with one saying the product will be a revamp of the popular tablet computer including front- and back-mounted cameras.
The report cites three sources, two of which would only confirm a fresh round of production set to begin early next year for components used in the current iPad, while the third source reported that the ramp-up is in fact for a new version of the iPad featuring two cameras. One of the sources has also indicated that the next-generation iPad will be slimmer and offer a higher-resolution display than the current model.

Article Link: Reuters Reports Next-Generation iPad to Offer Front and Rear Cameras

Last edited by a moderator:

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work
I still can't imagine taking pictures of anything with an iPad. Hopefully there's some other type of feature than will benefit from the rear camera.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Why not have a rear facing camera? There are a lot of apps on the iPhone that take advantage of a high resolution camera that aren't specifically related to photography. It makes sense to have both cameras on the next iPad.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
There will definitely be two cameras, if only for product line consistency. They don't want costumers to have to think "Wait, which iOS products have one camera? Which have two?"

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
This is an accident waiting to happen. There are going to be many dropped iPads when people try to take pictures

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
It's simple - if it has FaceTime, which it surely will, then it wil have two cameras. One of the very cool features (which I used last night incidentally) is to show your caller what you're seeing with the rear camera. Why would they leave this feature off the iPad 2?

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I still can't imagine taking pictures of anything with an iPad. Hopefully there's some other type of feature than will benefit from the rear camera.

Facetime requires two cameras.

If this is the "killer feature" of iPad 2, I'm happy I got iPad 1. I already have an iphone, and while using Facetime is cool, my arm gets a little tired after about 5 minutes of holding it there. I can't imagine how long I could last holding an iPad out there.

AppEzzy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
It's simple - if it has FaceTime, which it surely will, then it wil have two cameras. One of the very cool features (which I used last night incidentally) is to show your caller what you're seeing with the rear camera. Why would they leave this feature off the iPad 2?

Exactly that would be very useful. Hoping for this and a improved display and its going to be awesome

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Indeed. Strange that people seem to be forgetting about FaceTime using both front and rear cameras...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
FaceTime doesn't require two cameras...see every FaceTime-compatible Mac.

Thanks Capt. Obvious

Uhhh...wouldnt "the next iPad WILL NOT have 2 cameras" be more news worthy. I get so tired of analysts citing "insider scoops" of totally obvious facts..."this just in, the next iPad will have better battery life".

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
A rear facing camera is an absolute no brainer. Anyone who questions the inclusion of a rear camera is showing a distinct lack of imagination and a willful ignoring of the entire rest of the iOS line of devices.

akornstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010

I use my iPhone rear camera TONS for taking pictures of documents and other objects for reference at work while on the go. This would be a huge benefit for me to have everything in one place. These cameras aren't all about personal photography but also have a day-to-day business use as well.

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
I imagine the rear-facing camera is more for application use, e.g. bar code scanning, check deposits, and less for your typical mobile device photography.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I use my iPhone rear camera TONS for taking pictures of documents and other objects for reference at work while on the go. This would be a huge benefit for me to have everything in one place. These cameras aren't all about personal photography but also have a day-to-day business use as well.

Exactly. Besides, iPad has the screen real estate to make augmented reality applications actually useful. As a poster said above, the real news would be if the next iPad only has one camera. Having two is practically a foregone conclusion.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I bet this ships before the Playbook. Considering RIM 'just' have to finish the browser, optimise for multi core amongst other things.

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work
Why not have a rear facing camera? There are a lot of apps on the iPhone that take advantage of a high resolution camera that aren't specifically related to photography. It makes sense to have both cameras on the next iPad.

There will definitely be two cameras, if only for product line consistency. They don't want costumers to have to think "Wait, which iOS products have one camera? Which have two?"

Agreed to both, and like I said Val, I simply cant imagine taking "pictures" with the rear camera, but wouldn't mind some interesting augmented reality stuff.

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work

I'd have to say I also take snap shots of any notes at work, so I do see that benefit.

As I won't even have an iPad for another 2 weeks (thank you brother) I can't say to much about others personal experiences.

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
The inclusion of a front-facing and rear-facing camera can do nothing but help provide more functionality for the iPad. Simple as that. Anyone who doesn't see the need for the rear-facing camera, don't use it!

Jon the Heretic

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2003
Games

Some games are making interesting use of the rear camera, a sort of augmented reality feature, by passing the background and letting you superimpose the game on top of it.

More of a novelty than anything else, but well, it is kind of cool. And Apple is pushing games across the iOS platform.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
A rear facing camera? REALLY? Useless in a large iPad device. I may not buy one if it has this- really

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.