Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nora-emilia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Hi all,

Recently, I had hard drive failure and had to buy a new one. Everything is all fine and dandy (I'm running an Intel-based Macbook, if this is any help), but of course, I've lost all my data. I would have it all backed up, but my external hard drive also failed around this time and I lost everything on there.

Now, I'm trying to manually transfer songs from my 60GB iPod Video (1st Gen. of Videos that came out, I believe) to my iTunes, as I have about 50GB of music that I would love NOT to lose. Additionally, for some reason, my iPod isn't happy either - after a few times of syncing fine with my computer, and using software called PodWorks with hit and miss results (ie. it would manage to transfer a certain chunk of songs, and then would freeze up), my iTunes is telling me to "restore" my iPod which makes everything a little bit harder. As for the iPod itself, my songs aren't showing up at all, but it still says 50GB of space is being taken up, so I know that the files themselves aren't gone.

It seems to be doing okay for the most part, but I seem to be having odd results - iTunes has real trouble processing some of the files. It freezes up for about 10 minutes, and then continues on its way. The end result of one "run" was less than half of my music in iTunes, with the songs being weird, claiming to last an hour or so and skipping and all kinds of mishaps.

I'm not at all sure what to do right now. I've tried copying the songs from the iPod to my Desktop, but a few files refuse to be copied for some reason.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

Thank you very much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.