Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 11, 2010, 04:20 PM   #1
macpluslaptop
macrumors 6502

non-apple monitor for powermac G5?

I was just given an older powermac G5 at work (long story, but it's better than my 8-year old imac snow globe). They gave me an ancient dinky apple monitor from storage somewhere.

I'd like to get a 24" or so external monitor for it - non-Apple. Does anything still work with a powermac G5? Any recommendations? Thanks!
macpluslaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Eric5h5
macrumors 68010

It depends on the graphics card, and what connectors it has. Use an adapter if necessary.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:54 PM   #3
holmesf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpluslaptop View Post
I was just given an older powermac G5 at work (long story, but it's better than my 8-year old imac snow globe). They gave me an ancient dinky apple monitor from storage somewhere.

I'd like to get a 24" or so external monitor for it - non-Apple. Does anything still work with a powermac G5? Any recommendations? Thanks!
Even the lowest end video card that shipped with the PowerMac G5 should be able to handle most 24" display at full resolution. Tech specs say that it supports up to 1920x1200, and virtually all 24" displays are either 1920x1200 or 1920x1080.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp96

I think that the video cards that shipped with the PowerMac G5 have DVI ports, the connector present on basically all monitors these days, but not sure. You may require an adapter.
holmesf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 03:57 PM   #4
pink tree
macrumors newbie

HP monitors and Power Mac G5

Glad to know I'm not the only person still working pre-intel.

I too traded in my old 'easel' Apple screen for a HP LP2475w. Plug and play, even on a Mac, the guy said. Well, yes... except I have all sorts of colour calibration problems that I can't fix and the HP software that comes on a cd doesn't work.

It's great for some things but the intense red that won't respond to calibration with Huey Pro is driving me to the edge.

For instance: image looks good in Photoshop jpg srb BUT viewed in browser looks luridly wrong.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
pink tree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:21 PM   #5
wacomme
macrumors regular

I had to get an upgraded graphics card to run my NEC 30" monitor.
wacomme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 03:14 AM   #6
pink tree
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, Wacomme.

did your 30" work at all before you upgraded the card (ie did it distort colours etc?) or did it just not work at all?

and what card did you get?
pink tree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:49 AM   #7
wacomme
macrumors regular

I needed a better than standard graphics card to make my dual-link 30" monitor to work. If I had a smaller monitor, the standard graphics card would have been just fine. In fact, last summer, my graphics card died on me and I had to find a replacement - about $300 for a old card. I think it's an ATI Radeon X800XT. Works great now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink tree View Post
Thanks for your reply, Wacomme.

did your 30" work at all before you upgraded the card (ie did it distort colours etc?) or did it just not work at all?

and what card did you get?
wacomme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:52 PM   #8
toxic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink tree View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only person still working pre-intel.

I too traded in my old 'easel' Apple screen – for a HP LP2475w. Plug and play, even on a Mac, the guy said. Well, yes... except I have all sorts of colour calibration problems that I can't fix and the HP software that comes on a cd doesn't work.

It's great for some things but the intense red that won't respond to calibration with Huey Pro is driving me to the edge.

For instance: image looks good in Photoshop jpg srb BUT viewed in browser looks luridly wrong.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
easy solution: swap the LP2475w for a ZR24w.

otherwise, what browser are you using? you might also have to buy a new colorimeter that's compatible with wide gamut.
toxic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice