Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I was just given an older powermac G5 at work (long story, but it's better than my 8-year old imac snow globe). They gave me an ancient dinky apple monitor from storage somewhere.

I'd like to get a 24" or so external monitor for it - non-Apple. Does anything still work with a powermac G5? Any recommendations? Thanks!:confused:

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
It depends on the graphics card, and what connectors it has. Use an adapter if necessary.

--Eric

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
I was just given an older powermac G5 at work (long story, but it's better than my 8-year old imac snow globe). They gave me an ancient dinky apple monitor from storage somewhere.

I'd like to get a 24" or so external monitor for it - non-Apple. Does anything still work with a powermac G5? Any recommendations? Thanks!:confused:

Even the lowest end video card that shipped with the PowerMac G5 should be able to handle most 24" display at full resolution. Tech specs say that it supports up to 1920x1200, and virtually all 24" displays are either 1920x1200 or 1920x1080.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp96

I think that the video cards that shipped with the PowerMac G5 have DVI ports, the connector present on basically all monitors these days, but not sure. You may require an adapter.

pink tree

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
london
HP monitors and Power Mac G5

Glad to know I'm not the only person still working pre-intel.

I too traded in my old 'easel' Apple screen – for a HP LP2475w. Plug and play, even on a Mac, the guy said. Well, yes... except I have all sorts of colour calibration problems that I can't fix and the HP software that comes on a cd doesn't work.

It's great for some things but the intense red that won't respond to calibration with Huey Pro is driving me to the edge.

For instance: image looks good in Photoshop jpg srb BUT viewed in browser looks luridly wrong.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

pink tree

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
london
Thanks for your reply, Wacomme.

did your 30" work at all before you upgraded the card (ie did it distort colours etc?) or did it just not work at all?

and what card did you get?

wacomme

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
I needed a better than standard graphics card to make my dual-link 30" monitor to work. If I had a smaller monitor, the standard graphics card would have been just fine. In fact, last summer, my graphics card died on me and I had to find a replacement - about $300 for a old card. I think it's an ATI Radeon X800XT. Works great now.
Thanks for your reply, Wacomme.

did your 30" work at all before you upgraded the card (ie did it distort colours etc?) or did it just not work at all?

and what card did you get?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Glad to know I'm not the only person still working pre-intel.

I too traded in my old 'easel' Apple screen – for a HP LP2475w. Plug and play, even on a Mac, the guy said. Well, yes... except I have all sorts of colour calibration problems that I can't fix and the HP software that comes on a cd doesn't work.

It's great for some things but the intense red that won't respond to calibration with Huey Pro is driving me to the edge.

For instance: image looks good in Photoshop jpg srb BUT viewed in browser looks luridly wrong.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

easy solution: swap the LP2475w for a ZR24w.

otherwise, what browser are you using? you might also have to buy a new colorimeter that's compatible with wide gamut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.