Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1
pimp3d
macrumors newbie

2 iphones, 2 different contacts list, same itunes account?

Just got my wife the iPhone 4 and she's been setting up her contacts. We use the same iTunes acct, but use separate computers (hers is on windows, mine my MBP). If I try to sync her contacts to her machine in iTunes, it warns me it will erase what I've been syncing on my MBP with my phone. I have sync turned off on her phone at the moment.

By backing up her phone, does that save her contacts as she has them in the phone? Do I have to sync them to ensure they won't be lost if I have to restore the phone?

Thanks.
pimp3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:05 AM   #2
db67fm
macrumors regular

My wife and I have 2 different iPhones, 2 Contact lists, 1 iTunes account.

We have our contacts linked to our Gmail account. That way when we set up our phones in iTunes (on 2 different computers) it will link to our separate gmail accounts.

But to be able to share purchased songs and apps in iTunes we both have to use the same iTunes ID and password on each of our phones and in iTunes on each computer.
db67fm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Sync contacts over the internet, not through iTunes. Whether you use MobileMe or GMail or whatever to do it, follow their directions to sync over the internet and turn off Contact syncing through iTunes on both computers.

No backup needed for contacts this way...if your phone is lost you still have the contacts online, ready to sync to your next phone.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting