Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pimp3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Just got my wife the iPhone 4 and she's been setting up her contacts. We use the same iTunes acct, but use separate computers (hers is on windows, mine my MBP). If I try to sync her contacts to her machine in iTunes, it warns me it will erase what I've been syncing on my MBP with my phone. I have sync turned off on her phone at the moment.

By backing up her phone, does that save her contacts as she has them in the phone? Do I have to sync them to ensure they won't be lost if I have to restore the phone?

Thanks.

db67fm

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My wife and I have 2 different iPhones, 2 Contact lists, 1 iTunes account.

We have our contacts linked to our Gmail account. That way when we set up our phones in iTunes (on 2 different computers) it will link to our separate gmail accounts.

But to be able to share purchased songs and apps in iTunes we both have to use the same iTunes ID and password on each of our phones and in iTunes on each computer.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Sync contacts over the internet, not through iTunes. Whether you use MobileMe or GMail or whatever to do it, follow their directions to sync over the internet and turn off Contact syncing through iTunes on both computers.

No backup needed for contacts this way...if your phone is lost you still have the contacts online, ready to sync to your next phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.