Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
So, as mentioned in the other thread, my i7 Hackintosh has been folding rather slowly. I seem to have my OC nice and stable (so far at least...*fingers crossed*) at 3.8ghz, but am still getting a TPF of 55 mins for a 6900 bigadv in OS X. Jav6454 said he was getting a little over 30 mins a frame. I booted in to Windows 7 on my machine and got similar results as him.
Of course, I don't wanna use Windows.:p
From what I have read, the Linux client is supposed to be the fastest client. Since I'm guessing the OS X client and the Linux client are not that different, I would be surprised that the OS X client would be slower than the Windows client.

So my question is whether the OS X client is really THAT much slower or do I have a problem? Is there something I can do to fix this? I really am wanting to help our team out!

Using the 6.29 OS X console client with
Code:
-bigadv -smp 8 -verbosity 9
Cpu is running full on all 8 threads, but only using a gig of ram. (What happened to 0.5 gig per core?)

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i can't comment on the OS X client vs. the windows client. but my gut feeling is that they shouldn't be that much different. but you say that you did try the windows client, and you did get below 40 min a frame?

the other to possibly discuss is your overclock. what motherboard do you have? what did you set your voltages to?

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
well i can't comment on the OS X client vs. the windows client. but my gut feeling is that they shouldn't be that much different. but you say that you did try the windows client, and you did get below 40 min a frame?
yes. 34 mins for a 2686 in Windows.(which is tougher than a 6900 no?).
the other to possibly discuss is your overclock. what motherboard do you have? what did you set your voltages to?
I have a gigabyte ex58-ud5, and I think I'm at 1.28 vcore. I think my OC is fine, hence my fast frame times in Windows. I sounds like it might be a problem with either my OS X install or my client. Maybe I'll install OS X on another partition and see if i am still getting the same slow frame times.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yes. 34 mins for a 2686 in Windows.(which is tougher than a 6900 no?).

I have a gigabyte ex58-ud5, and I think I'm at 1.28 vcore. I think my OC is fine, hence my fast frame times in Windows. I sounds like it might be a problem with either my OS X install or my client. Maybe I'll install OS X on another partition and see if i am still getting the same slow frame times.

well if the OC is fine, then we need to see what other people are getting with the OS X client

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Just noticed (and by noticed I mean I just decided to pay attention to it) a message when I run a unit that says
Code:
NOTE: Turning on dynamic load balancing
Turning on CPU affinity lock does not get rid of the message(read some where that it might). Could this be why I am folding so slow?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Just noticed (and by noticed I mean I just decided to pay attention to it) a message when I run a unit that says
Code:
NOTE: Turning on dynamic load balancing
Turning on CPU affinity lock does not get rid of the message(read some where that it might). Could this be why I am folding so slow?

it's possible. i'm not sure. but you only get that message in OS X?

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
I'm installing OS X on another partition and gonna try it there. If it is at full speed, I guess I'm gonna reinstall.
EDIT: Not seeing the load balancing message. Good sign? :) Will update with TPF in a little bit.

Last edited:

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
On a fresh install....

...much better. :D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-21 at 3.54.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-21 at 3.54.46 PM.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 203
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.