Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:59 AM   #1
zugvogel
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Caps-lock delay problem - any new progress?

I recently bought a Macbook air after having had my old macbook for ~4 years. One new feature of macs I've noticed is that there is a delay on the caps-lock, in order for it to not be accidentally pressed.

Unfortunately, for as long as I've been using computers, my method of typing has been to use caps-lock instead of shift, and this is causing havoc for me. I've seen other posts about this, some of them a few years old now, but no-one seems to know how to turn this feature off.

Have there been any new developments recently in learning how to turn this annoying feature off? I've purchased an external non-apple keyboard which helps for 2/3 of the time, but for the other 1/3 I'm using the laptop whilst travelling and have no choice but to use the laptop's keyboard...
zugvogel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:49 AM   #2
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugvogel View Post
I recently bought a Macbook air after having had my old macbook for ~4 years. One new feature of macs I've noticed is that there is a delay on the caps-lock, in order for it to not be accidentally pressed.

Unfortunately, for as long as I've been using computers, my method of typing has been to use caps-lock instead of shift, and this is causing havoc for me. I've seen other posts about this, some of them a few years old now, but no-one seems to know how to turn this feature off.

Have there been any new developments recently in learning how to turn this annoying feature off? I've purchased an external non-apple keyboard which helps for 2/3 of the time, but for the other 1/3 I'm using the laptop whilst travelling and have no choice but to use the laptop's keyboard...
Learn to type properly?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:58 AM   #3
fswmacguy
macrumors 6502

There is a big thread about it here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1169783, the last post was in 2008, unfortunately.

I am inclined to believe this is a hardware feature and can't be turned off in the software. Your best bet is to remap the caps lock key to something else (like the Control key), which won't impose a delay.
fswmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:59 AM   #4
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME!!!11one!!

No, seriously, just change your habits. It's quicker to simply hold down shift when wanting to capitalize letters anyhow. What is your pinky going to do otherwise ?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:03 AM   #5
JSAYER
macrumors member

Yeah, you're just going to have to change your habit. I did!!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:41 AM   #6
eba
macrumors regular

I'va elweys typad "E" for "A". Whan era thay gonne fix thet?
eba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:33 PM   #7
zugvogel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fswmacguy View Post
There is a big thread about it here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1169783, the last post was in 2008, unfortunately.

I am inclined to believe this is a hardware feature and can't be turned off in the software. Your best bet is to remap the caps lock key to something else (like the Control key), which won't impose a delay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME!!!11one!!

No, seriously, just change your habits. It's quicker to simply hold down shift when wanting to capitalize letters anyhow. What is your pinky going to do otherwise ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAYER View Post
Yeah, you're just going to have to change your habit. I did!!
Thanks for your comments. Having typed like this for my whole life (and getting 50-55wpm), it's difficult to change (holding down two keys at once in mid-flow seems quite un-natural). If you've managed to change though, it seems it's not impossible. Hopefully it won't take me too long to change then (or rather, I suspect I might eventually get into the habit of pushing the caps-lock slightly longer instead...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
Learn to type properly?
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eba View Post
I'va elweys typad "E" for "A". Whan era thay gonne fix thet?
haha
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:49 PM   #8
teski
macrumors regular

I don't see this delay. I just hit the caps lock on my MBA 13 about 10 times and there is no delay turning on or off. The light goes on or off as fast as I push it.
teski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:57 PM   #9
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by teski View Post
I don't see this delay. I just hit the caps lock on my MBA 13 about 10 times and there is no delay turning on or off. The light goes on or off as fast as I push it.
Congratulations, you just admitted at being a slow typist!

The delay is real, just push faster. However, I always used shift, so it never bothered me, except for that one time I thought it was broken.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:15 PM   #10
teski
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Congratulations, you just admitted at being a slow typist!

The delay is real, just push faster. However, I always used shift, so it never bothered me, except for that one time I thought it was broken.
Uh no. I'm not a slow typist and I just sat here pushing the button repeatedly and the light is going on an off as fast as I'm pushing it. What kind of a delay are you guys talking about? I use the shift key mostly myself as well so even if there was a delay, it wouldn't affect me.
teski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:27 AM   #11
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Uh no. I'm not a slow typist and I just sat here pushing the button repeatedly and the light is going on an off as fast as I'm pushing it.
That's the point, you're a slow typist. You're not pushing it fast enough. At the speed I normally push the keys, the light doesn't come on. I need to push it a bit slower.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:21 AM   #12
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I run complete the opposite way: I even switched the CapsLock key off and remove any function from it. Thanks to Mac OS there is an easy setting for that.

I was too often pressing this CapsLock and as I (as proposed form other too) suggest the usage of the Shift-Key instead I don't miss the CapsLock at all.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:55 AM   #13
zugvogel
macrumors newbie

Must be possible...

I was re-reading the thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread....rt=30&tstart=0) and it says that Apple released a "firmware update" to allow the caps-lock key to lose its delay when, for example, caps-lock and control are switched - so does this mean that it can, somehow, be fixed by a software update (ie, it's not built into the hardware)?

Quote:
I just sat here pushing the button repeatedly and the light is going on an off as fast as I'm pushing it. What kind of a delay are you guys talking about?
Maybe you're lucky enough to have a keyboard which is "defective" and works without the caps-lock delay?...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:08 AM   #14
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugvogel View Post
I was re-reading the thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread....rt=30&tstart=0) and it says that Apple released a "firmware update" to allow the caps-lock key to lose its delay when, for example, caps-lock and control are switched - so does this mean that it can, somehow, be fixed by a software update (ie, it's not built into the hardware)?

Maybe you're lucky enough to have a keyboard which is "defective" and works without the caps-lock delay?...
I remap Control to Caps lock (I don't use caps lock), and yes it behaves like a regular key after doing so. The caps lock light no longer shines.
astrorider is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air