Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2005, 08:11 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

French police find open source arresting

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: French police find open source arresting
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:40 PM   #2
Mainyehc
macrumors 6502

Redmond, we HAVE a problem...

Oh, this will be fun to watch... I'm SO glad I switched in late '03... I can watch the ship sink from the shore

It would be so damn great if Microsoft lost its Office monopoly some day... I tend to believe that Windows needs Office in some way, and Office definitely needs Windows (I wouldn't see some Linux user buying a copy of M$ Office for... Linux? No way, besides, they wouldn't develop a Linux version of Office anyway!!). If one of them loses its dominance, the other will go the same path. If some governments switch to Open Source both in key applications AND platform, and if by doing so they manage to set an example throughout the IT world, M$ is SO screwed

And you know, this could be great for us Mac users... If people got used to the idea that they don't have to use the same apps everyone uses like if they were blind sheep, and if open standards were set across the industry, the avaliability (or the lack of it) of M$ Office for the Mac wouldn't be such a big issue... The next big thing would be a DECENT NATIVE port of OOo for Mac OS X. Something like Abiword, but more polished and less buggy, could just become the ultimate Office killer. Sure, Pages looks damn cool, but iWork still costs a bit, and not everyone needs presentation software and all those bells and whistles.

I am one of those people. TextEdit isn't enough for me, and even its upcoming revamped version full of palettes, table support, etc., may still not be enough. iWork would be too "cool" for my needs, and besides, I can already use advanced software like InDesign or QuarkXPress for publishing stuff. M$ Office should be the best choice, but it is too bloated and expensive... A free, open source, full-fledged Office suite? BRING IT ON!!

Last edited by Mainyehc; Jan 21, 2005 at 11:45 PM.
Mainyehc is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:46 PM   #3
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Daveway
Quote:
I'm SO glad I switched in late '03... I can watch the ship sink from the shore
I'm with you here. It was like an orchestra playing when I read that article. Bring down M$!!
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:47 PM   #4
EodLabs
macrumors newbie

I'd be more interested in seeing what comes in the future with everybody and their mom turning to XML. With such an open standard any Text Editor in essence could be the next killer app, would bring things back to normal, best code wins, not most secret file saves.
EodLabs is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Daveway
I think M$ is starting to realize that their ship is not so unsinkable anymore. Everytime Linux gets ahead in the enterprise because it is way better than M$ there, M$ gets their liver-in-a-quiver. They'll send Balmer out to defend Microsoft and tell everyone that Linux users are criminals and what not. I've been seeing this lately. The market likes open source but Microsoft does not. And this means M$ has a problem on their hands.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:08 AM   #6
EodLabs
macrumors newbie

On thing Microsoft has going for them, there service. People put great fast service together with quality, were in retrospect more service means they are having more problems.

My own personal opinion, open source, and apple for that matter could benifit from someone like Balmer. Laugh at everything, everybody does but his numbers are way up. I don't care for him, but he motivates people, industry and trends. Now have something like that pushing OO or NeoOffice with a linux hitch and you could serously dent the MS warcraft.
EodLabs is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:27 AM   #7
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

After reading the feed back I am glad I posted the article.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:54 PM   #8
combatcolin
macrumors 68020

KNOCK ON EFFECT

People who work for organisations who switch over to open source will almost definatly be tempted to follow suit at home.

DOUBLE WHAMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
combatcolin is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion