Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whattodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Hi all,

I was charging my Iphone and decided to press sleep button to turn off the phone to speed up charging process. The instance I slide the power off button, my phone showed from 90% charge to red bar (empty). I now realised I had probably crashed the operating system by shutting down while charging. But how can a simple act like this cause a crash?

Anyway, took it to Apple and they said that nothing can be done. They explained that it might be the software problem locking me out so that I can't do anything. They don't just change the battery but would require the whole unit to be replaced. Do you think maybe it's just my battery that stuffed up or the operating system stuffed up? I am willing to spend money and time to fix up this problem instead of getting another phone as I have never backed up since getting it and it's been over a year now.

I believe you can recover data from deleted files by jailbreaking, but can you recover data from a factory restore through Itunes? I am willing to do a restore and jailbreak if I can get the data back. However, how hard is it for a novice to do this?

Also, my phone didn't die from jailbreaking; is it still termed a bricked phone?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Shutting down your iPhone while it is charging will not mess anything up. It is perfectly safe to do so. You can see if it is a software problem by doing a DFU restore. That will wipe everything off the phone and reinstall the software. As long as it is synced to your iTunes account you shouldn't lose anything, but don't restore from a backup created while you were jailbroken.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
You obviously had a dumb Genius. Or one that wouldn't help you because you had a jailbroken phone.

Any iPhone can by put into DFU mode by holding the sleep and home button for exactly 10 seconds, then releasing the sleep button and continue holding the home button for another 5 seconds.

Then restore "As New" in iTunes. You'll have to rejailbreak your phone after, but it's not entirely difficult and it's the price you pay for jailbreaking. That's why I don't do it. It messes with the original software used to run the phone, so maybe it won't have any permanent effects, but I feel like my phone didn't run half as smoothly when I jailbroke.

whattodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Shutting down your iPhone while it is charging will not mess anything up. It is perfectly safe to do so. You can see if it is a software problem by doing a DFU restore. That will wipe everything off the phone and reinstall the software. As long as it is synced to your iTunes account you shouldn't lose anything, but don't restore from a backup created while you were jailbroken.
---

Thanks for your quick response but I have never synced anything from the phone into Itunes. I had problem with Itunes recognising my Iphone because it was synced to an old Ipod. Then i had problem with updating itunes, so I put it in the too-hard-basket, until now when I realised I'm about to wipe everything in which case, I'm prepared to do all the researches in the world to retrieve them. I can't restore until I know I can somehow get my data back. I'm thinking first step is to fork out some $ to get the battery replaced and see if it can reboot first.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
There's almost no way that by shutting off your phone while charging, you damaged your battery. I wouldn't waste your money. It's almost definitely a software issue, which unfortunately will result in a restore and a loss of data.

whattodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
You obviously had a dumb Genius. Or one that wouldn't help you because you had a jailbroken phone.

Any iPhone can by put into DFU mode by holding the sleep and home button for exactly 10 seconds, then releasing the sleep button and continue holding the home button for another 5 seconds.

Then restore "As New" in iTunes. You'll have to rejailbreak your phone after, but it's not entirely difficult and it's the price you pay for jailbreaking. That's why I don't do it. It messes with the original software used to run the phone, so maybe it won't have any permanent effects, but I feel like my phone didn't run half as smoothly when I jailbroke.
-------------------
I never jailbreaked before. It's the last thing I want to do. I want a phone to help with scheduling and ease of use, not to download apps and play around with it. I was able to get the itunes to recognise my iphone, but I'm just not ready to restore unless I know I can get my data back. It's a year's supply of memory being wiped out and I cannot sleep because of this. I'm a novice with technology but I'm prepared to learn or pay someone to get these data (photos, calenders, etc) back. I know forensic phone experts can get data from deleted phones, but can they still get it back once you do a full factory restore?

psherman42walla

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
There's hope!

I had an iPhone 3G that I accidentally restored but forgot to sync all the camera roll photos to my computer so I thought I lost them all. After a few hours of research, I found articles here and there from people who made the same mistake. Long story short, you must download some software and make an image of your phone. My 3G was 8gigs so it took over 3 hours for the software to create an image. But after that I used a program called "Recuva" and had it scan the created image to recover all my photos. It worked great. I also had a buddy of mine who recovered stuff from his 3GS using the same method. But I have never done this to the iPhone 4.

To create an image of the iPhone, I did have to use an computer that was running on linux.

Then I copied the iPhone image to a windows computer and ran Recuva (free) to the image and recovered everything.

There's other software that got my contacts out of the phone.

There are step by step directions somewhere I found using google.

Time consuming, but it worked for me. Remember to sync with iTunes next time. Good luck.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Haven't you honestly thought that if one day my phone goes dead on me, how do I get my stuff?

Just like a computer, all my data is on it, and one day if something goes wrong, I can fix the computer and I would have my data on a hard drive.

whattodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
I had an iPhone 3G that I accidentally restored but forgot to take sync all the camera roll photos to my computer so I thought I lost them all. After a few hours of research, I found articles here and there from people who made the same mistake. Long story short, you must download some software and make an image of your phone. My 3G was 8gigs so it took over 3 hours for the software to create an image. But after that I used a program called "Recuva" and had it scan the created image to recover all my photos. It worked great. I also had a buddy of mine who recovered stuff from his 3GS using the same method. But I have never done this to the iPhone 4.

To create an image of the iPhone, I did have to use an computer that was running on linux.

Then I copied the iPhone image to a windows computer and ran Recuva (free) to the image and recovered everything.

There are step by step directions somewhere I found using google.

Time consuming, but it worked for me. Remember to sync with iTunes next time. Good luck.
=============
Wow, that's great. I have a 3GS so I guess it's do-able. So, just to confirm, you did a full factory restore and can still stuff that never was synced back? Could my case be any different cause I never synced onto any computer?

Ok, so I need to work with Linux? I'm a novice, would it be hard?

whattodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Haven't you honestly thought that if one day my phone goes dead on me, how do I get my stuff?

Just like a computer, all my data is on it, and one day if something goes wrong, I can fix the computer and I would have my data on a hard drive.

I knew the risk of not backing up, but I seem to be unlucky with computers and always crash them so while syncing I could easily have messed up either the iphone or the PC. But with computers they give you more chances to get your data back. The Iphone just died without warning and never seem to recover. And that's just after 1 year, which I never thought possible. All my other phones and electrical devices lasts ages because I try to look after them.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Making an image of your software will NOT have it stay there after a restore. What it will do is give you access to your files so you can get them back on your phone AFTER the restore.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007

All of my stuff is actually on my Macbook Pro. If it's on my iPhone, it's just a copy that came from my Macbook Pro. My Macbook Pro is backed up via several methods.

whattodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Making an image of your software will NOT have it stay there after a restore. What it will do is give you access to your files so you can get them back on your phone AFTER the restore.

Wow, so once I restore, I still can access my files which include calenders, pictures, and stuff in apps? Are you suggesting that I take the same steps as what psherman42walla has described? I'm getting very excited knowing the possibilities. I'm sorry if I ask silly questions but I'm not great with computers but willing to learn. I will also do extensive research and get someone who works with computers to actually go through the whole technical bits.

Thanks in advance for any hints.:)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I smell a huge load of BS. You cannot crash an iPhone by turning it off while charging.

If you don't sync your phone or backup your data, then your data is worthless to you. It has nothing to do with the Genius Bar.

psherman42walla

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010

Make an image of your iPhone. Not software.
And the OP did not hav his iPhone jailbroken.

whattodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
I smell a huge load of BS. You cannot crash an iPhone by turning it off while charging.

If you don't sync your phone or backup your data, then your data is worthless to you. It has nothing to do with the Genius Bar.

Well that's what happened to me. I was charging and that's what happened. Genius Bar says it's the software not allowing me to do anything/ shutting itself. I haven't tried the next step of restoring but i need to know that it's do-able to get my data back before i erased everything with DFU.

I'm not blaming the Genius Bar. I'm only frustrated that this situation has happened with no real explanation (blame it on the software) and that was it. Through MacRumors I can see that this problem has been going on since 2007. (Unexplained crashing and then having to replace the unit or whatever). You would've thought a brand name like Apple would last at least a few years before it crash. I'm out of warranty so either way, I have to pay to get it fixed or get a new phone. So, I'd rather put a bit of fight before I give up.

About not syncing, I'm a novice PC user and Itunes have been causing problems so I'd rather not play with it and risk losing data from the PC as well. In fact I did download and try to sync in one of the laptops and it did cause some problem so it's still waiting to be re-formatted. I have been moving back and forth and the only thing that is constant in my life in the last year is my Iphone. I have bits and pieces of possession here and there and life has been all temporary so the laptops I used are not fully mine. I have to travel light between different states and you can see that my Iphone then IS my main computer. It IS my life for the time-being and I was trusting that it could be reliable enough like a computer. It helps me remember things when I'm moving about so the data is very important. I know about the risk, but if you are constantly going places, you don't want to make more problems for yourself by stuffing around with Itunes. It's not as easy as plugging in a USB to transfer files. One wrong move and you could be syncing the wrong things ie. erase stuff from your Iphone anyway.

If iTunes recognizes your phone, why can't you back it up before you restore it???

Can I back up before I restore when it's already dead? I think you need to have made backups already in your itunes before you restore.

Last edited by a moderator:

WRIGHTRACING

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Can I back up before I restore when it's already dead? I think you need to have made backups already in your itunes before you restore.

If you plug up the phone to your pc and open iTunes it should let you save what's on the phone.

What does it show when you open iTunes? Does it show your phone?

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
lol why people continue to think using an iPhone as standalone computer is a good idea is baffling

I backup the files from my computer onto another hard drive, it's the same for the files on your iPhone.

good luck op

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
OP, although there is always the possibility that you can recover files from your iPhone if you do a restore (which essentially reformats the phone's flash memory and reinstalls the OS), you are also taking a big risk by doing so.

A format essentially wipes the filesystem table of contents and reinitializes parts of the file system. If a format wrote all zeros to the entire disk, not only would it take forever, but that would be bad for flash memory (since you have a limited number of write cycles). So the other posters are right that you MIGHT be able to recover some files, since you only risk overwriting at most as much data as however much space the OS itself takes up (300MB or so?), but you also risk not being able to recover ALL of your files even if you can recover some.

Also, programs like Recuva essentially scan a drive for recognizable file signatures. So, it knows what certain popular file formats look like and can determine with a fair amount of accuracy where file types that it knows about start and end. This means that you have a good chance that it can recover photos, music, and movies, since the software likely knows how to identify JPG, PNG, MP3, ACC, and MOV/MP4 files. But anything else on the iPhone -- such as your contacts database, notes, calendar items (if you're not syncing them over the air to the cloud somewhere like MobileMe or Google Calendar), iBooks, saved mail (if you are using POP3), and other data from any of your other apps purchased from the App Store -- is probably going to be lost because they are stored either in SQLite database files (doubtful that most free file recovery software is going to be looking for SQLite file signatures, or even knows what they look like) or in some other proprietary format.

So do the restore and subsequent image of your iPhone only as a very last resort.

Now, you mentioned what you thought you might have DONE to cause the issue (and I agree with everyone else...whatever happened, it wasn't your fault and you did nothing wrong, other than fail to back up your stuff :)), but you haven't actually explained to us what the SYMPTOMS of the problem are that you currently have. You said that during shutdown, the battery went from 90% to nearly empty. However, you don't say anything about what happens when you try to turn the phone back on now, today. Do you get the blinking red battery symbol? Do you get the Apple Logo of Death (logo shows up and never goes away no matter how long you wait)? Does it get past that but then freeze up or restart the bootup process? What does it actually do? What about if you plug the phone into USB power somewhere, either in a computer or in your USB "wall wart" that the phone came with? Will it start up then? Does it just go to the red battery symbol and never get past that no matter how long you have it plugged in?

You haven't told us anything really useful about the actual symptoms, which makes it very hard to advise you on your next step.

-- Nathan

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
This isn't a "wiped" phone that you are trying to pull data from is it? This whole deal sounds fishy....

whattodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
OP,

You haven't told us anything really useful about the actual symptoms, which makes it very hard to advise you on your next step.

-- Nathan

Thanks for your thorough post. My symptom is that it never go beyond the red bar. I can plug it to the wall all night and nothing will change. When I unplug, I can see something different, which is the plug being disconnected, but that's it- no Apple symbol. I tried the wall socket, the USB, the car charger and the ipod docks at the store and it doesn't show anything. While charging, I would hold onto the sleep and home button and the screen would turn black and then go back to the red charge. I took out the sim and reset but nothing happens. I tried the trick of switching the mute button up and down 4 times and still nothing.

I got excited when Itunes recognise my phone when I press home and sleep button and then releasing the sleep button while having Itunes opened. However, I am then faced with the dilemma of restoring the phone and not knowing what happens to my data. So I have to do research first. Actually, if I did press restore, what is the likelihood that it would reboot? It would be devastating if after all the hope of even a 50% data recovery (I'm very grateful for anything) and the phone doesn't reboot anyway, what next? Please tell me about this. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.