Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Hey all, I'm thinking about doing small amounts of guitar recording; I have a tight budget, so I'd like to avoid purchasing anything if possible (although I understand this may not be realistic).

In the past when I recorded with a friend's digital mixer, we mic'd the amps, fed this into the mixer, and the mixer connected to my laptop via USB. Unfortunately, I don't own a digital audio interface.

What I'd really like to do is connect my Fender Cyber-Twin 2x12 (original, not the SE) directly to my computer. Here is a picture of the back of the amp:
http://www.sound1.no/images/fender/forsterkere/cybertwin/fender_cyber_twin_back.jpg

The connections I think may work are:
  • Amp headphones jack (1/4") > 1/4M to 1/8F converter > 1/8" stereo cable > Macbook Pro line-in
  • Amp XLR out (there's a toggle switch for mono) > XLR to 1/8" cable > Macbook Pro line-in
  • Amp SPDIF output > ??? > Macbook Pro line-in

Would any of these work? Would any of these work well? Any other advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advice!

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Last edited:

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
MA
For 15-20$ you you'll achieve a much better sound than if you use the analog line-in on you MBP.

Do you mean for $15-20 I can get the converter and cables and use the digital line-in of my (15") Macbook Pro (i.e., take the SPDIF route)?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Cool. Would I get significantly better quality if I used an audio interface?

you would get a different sound if you went with a more conventional mic'ing technique. you'd get the sound of the room, the sound of the mic, and the sound of the mic pre.

i like those things, but ymmv.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey all, I'm thinking about doing small amounts of guitar recording; I have a tight budget, so I'd like to avoid purchasing anything if possible (although I understand this may not be realistic).

In the past when I recorded with a friend's digital mixer, we mic'd the amps, fed this into the mixer, and the mixer connected to my laptop via USB. Unfortunately, I don't own a digital audio interface.

What I'd really like to do is connect my Fender Cyber-Twin 2x12 (original, not the SE) directly to my computer. Here is a picture of the back of the amp:
http://www.sound1.no/images/fender/forsterkere/cybertwin/fender_cyber_twin_back.jpg

The connections I think may work are:
  • Amp headphones jack (1/4") > 1/4M to 1/8F converter > 1/8" stereo cable > Macbook Pro line-in
  • Amp XLR out (there's a toggle switch for mono) > XLR to 1/8" cable > Macbook Pro line-in
  • Amp SPDIF output > ??? > Macbook Pro line-in

Would any of these work? Would any of these work well? Any other advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advice!

Your amps has spdif output? Use that and get an exact digital copy of the sound.

But if you were to buy a small audio interface for about $100 you can plug a guitar straight into that and then you the guiatar effects in Garage Band. They are not bad at all. The presets are a little bit of stereotypes but you can tweak them

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
MA
you would get a different sound if you went with a more conventional mic'ing technique. you'd get the sound of the room, the sound of the mic, and the sound of the mic pre.

Yeah, I totally understand. We used to stick mics in front of the amps, drums, etc. Unfortunately, as I stated, I don't currently have access to a digital audio interface.

Your amps has spdif output? Use that and get an exact digital copy of the sound.

But if you were to buy a small audio interface for about $100 you can plug a guitar straight into that and then you the guiatar effects in Garage Band. They are not bad at all. The presets are a little bit of stereotypes but you can tweak them

My amp is basically a modeling amp, but instead of modeling the amps & effects digitally, the circuitry is rerouted so that it actually matches the circuitry (tubes, capacitors, etc) of actual Fender Amps. More info here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=82017

Although Garageband & Logic effects are pretty darn good, I'd like to stick to what my amp can produce if possible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.