Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:43 PM   #1
roland.g
macrumors 603

Home Inventory Software

I know there are some iOS and OS X home inventory apps which are all about receipts, snapshots, etc. They are great for insurance purposes and I wouldn't mind if that is part of it, but what I am really looking for is something that helps you with organization. As we try to get the basement and garage of our house organized and put a lot of stuff in bins and closets, I want to catalog as much as I can for reference when I want to find something. Obviously many bins will be labeled, etc, but being able to type an item into software to get its location would be key.

If anyone can recommend some software, desktop, iOS, doesn't matter to track stuff, focusing more on where it is than how much you paid, snapshots, receipts, that would be great. If it is for insurance that is fine as long as I can easily search it for location.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:46 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Software for building home inventory lists (insurance purposes ...
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:00 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I disagree. That thread doesn't give enough. I recall one but still searching. Standby op.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:02 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I disagree. That thread doesn't give enough. I recall one but still searching. Standby op.
You disagree with what? I just posted a relevant link. I didn't comment on it. I, too, remember another thread on this, but can't locate it just now.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:04 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Ok fine you win.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:20 AM   #6
roland.g
macrumors 603

I tried Bento when it first came out and didn't like it but that was 1.0 and since then it has received good reviews. I think I have heard of Compartments so I will look at that and maybe try Bento again. Does Apple offer an iWork trial other than with new machines? Desktop to iPad syncing certainly would be a bonus.

Thanks. Let me know if you think of anything else.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:21 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
Does Apple offer an iWork trial other than with new machines?
http://www.apple.com/iwork/download-trial/
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:29 AM   #8
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

This thread is great, I have been keeping my own inventory for a long time but some software would really help out. I think I'll try out that Numbers template, I've seen it before but it looked too much like insurance stuff. I don't have insurance, because I don't own a home, but I'll give it a try.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:54 AM   #9
roland.g
macrumors 603

I looked at Compartments, but didn't even download a trial. It just looks wrong.

I also looked again at Bento. Sorry, but while the whole iPad/iPhone version and wireless syncing is a huge plus, the software leaves way too much to be desired.

All of this points to photos, and insurance. I want organization. If I put a bunch of bins in the garage and basement, I want to know what is in them by bin and be able to search and item and get location. Same with closets, the home office, etc. Big things, little things so I can avoid spending an hour looking for something I cleverly put too away. How much I spent on it and what it looks like are not important components to that. I know where my computer and TV are. Same with my bike, etc. These are two different classes of goods.

And as for Numbers, it just seems like way too much formatting, and no UI. I'd just be creating my own special spreadsheet. You almost would need to build a database, with item, location, and sub-location, and a form to search for that item and return the two location fields. Likewise you would want to see everything in a sub-location. Etc.

You would think someone would have written software like this.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:04 AM   #10
sracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I looked at Compartments, but didn't even download a trial. It just looks wrong.

I also looked again at Bento. Sorry, but while the whole iPad/iPhone version and wireless syncing is a huge plus, the software leaves way too much to be desired.

All of this points to photos, and insurance. I want organization. If I put a bunch of bins in the garage and basement, I want to know what is in them by bin and be able to search and item and get location. Same with closets, the home office, etc. Big things, little things so I can avoid spending an hour looking for something I cleverly put too away. How much I spent on it and what it looks like are not important components to that. I know where my computer and TV are. Same with my bike, etc. These are two different classes of goods.

And as for Numbers, it just seems like way too much formatting, and no UI. I'd just be creating my own special spreadsheet. You almost would need to build a database, with item, location, and sub-location, and a form to search for that item and return the two location fields. Likewise you would want to see everything in a sub-location. Etc.
Most people dismiss Bento because it is a "flat-file" database rather than a relational database like FileMaker Pro. But I'm not inclined to address generic criticisms like "leave way too much to be desired".

Tools like offline wikis and structured data tools like EverNote can also serve that purpose.

Quote:
You would think someone would have written software like this.
No, I wouldn't. As a software developer myself, I know that there is no market for implementing a particular person's approach to "home inventory". The more general-purpose the app is, the greater the potential audience. Adding specific approaches to home inventory require additional development resource and can compromise the usability of the application.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:02 PM   #11
Pomeroy
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I want organization. If I put a bunch of bins in the garage and basement, I want to know what is in them by bin and be able to search and item and get location. Same with closets, the home office, etc. Big things, little things so I can avoid spending an hour looking for something I cleverly put too away.
I don't know why you discount Bento so quick, organizing is what it does so well. You can start with the Inventory form that comes with it or start from scratch and build your own. Add a Location Field to the form and as many Sub Locations as you need. Then you can search by Item name, Location or Sub Locations to find any item you want just about as fast as you can type.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:16 PM   #12
kalex
macrumors 65816

Any one try Home Inventory app in app store? looks neat but I would like some reviews before I plunk down $10 for it
kalex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:14 AM   #13
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
Any one try Home Inventory app in app store? looks neat but I would like some reviews before I plunk down $10 for it
I haven't tried it but I'm like you, it looks very good but I want some feedback first. I still am looking for an easy home inventory, even some other cheap suggestions.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:19 AM   #14
exegete77
macrumors 6502a

Try this thread. Home Inventory Software.
The missing missing and challenges of a loved one missing
exegete77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store