Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Hi all,

I am pretty adamant about having a full body skin on my iPhone 4. I have a best skin back and sides, and an SGP screen protector. I am always in a quest for a hard case to buddy up with the fully body skinning.

I have found a cheap $10 case on eBay that fits the phone nicely, although I'm positive if the phone landed flat on it's back the glass would shatter.

The Griffin Élan Form Graphite actually fits the full body skinned iphone perfectly. I was very impressed with that. However, the case is soooo slippery. It is constantly sliding in my hand, which is not necessarily bad in fear of dropping it, but just makes my hand cramp up trying to hold it with it sliding around.

I tried a Speck Fitted case, and it did not even come close to fitting the phone.

Lastly, I tried an ifrogz luxe case and it fit the full body skinned phone pretty nicely after I sanded down some of the inside of the case. But its a bit bulky and the two tone color, one of which is blue, is pretty distracting when trying to focus on the screen.

What has everyone else found? :). I'm only looking for responses on full body skinned phones.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I have front/rear protectors on mine and use Contour Showcase. As a result, there is a slight gap in between the case, maybe 1mm?, that you can see. This can easily be fixed by removing the pads on the inside of the case.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Hi all,

I am pretty adamant about having a full body skin on my iPhone 4. I have a best skin back and sides, and an SGP screen protector. I am always in a quest for a hard case to buddy up with the fully body skinning.

I have found a cheap $10 case on eBay that fits the phone nicely, although I'm positive if the phone landed flat on it's back the glass would shatter.

The Griffin Élan Form Graphite actually fits the full body skinned iphone perfectly. I was very impressed with that. However, the case is soooo slippery. It is constantly sliding in my hand, which is not necessarily bad in fear of dropping it, but just makes my hand cramp up trying to hold it with it sliding around.

I tried a Speck Fitted case, and it did not even come close to fitting the phone.

Lastly, I tried an ifrogz luxe case and it fit the full body skinned phone pretty nicely after I sanded down some of the inside of the case. But its a bit bulky and the two tone color, one of which is blue, is pretty distracting when trying to focus on the screen.

What has everyone else found? :). I'm only looking for responses on full body skinned phones.

If you want a case that is essentially the Elan Form, get the Outfit Ice by the same company, Griffin. Identical case except for a little mor plastic on the top and a rubbery, matte finish.

As for other cases that fit the full body skin, there are the Otterbox Commuter and Otterbox Impact that fit fine. Same with the Case-Mate Tough and the Incipio Silicrylic. Pretty much any case with a silicone inner or a full on silicone case will work.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
thanks for the responses!!

the countour showcase might be a little too bulky for me, I will have to check that one out

the outfit ice might be a good case to try out, I think that is essentially the case my eBay one is trying to rip-off. But it is probably much higher quality than my eBay case which is peeling.

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The CaseMate Tough fits well. I have one and it will for over a full body Zagg Invisible Shield with no problem. Sturdy case too.

PlatinuM195

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2009
My PixelSkin HD works fine with Invisible Shield on the back and sides, and Power Support Crystal on the front.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
Have you considered getting a sleeve? You could keep the phone in the sleeve while not in use and then fully show off your skin when you are using the phone.

OneForGadgets

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Have you considered getting a sleeve? You could keep the phone in the sleeve while not in use and then fully show off your skin when you are using the phone.

I would recommend this also, but I am assuming if you are doing the shield AND a case you are worried about drop protection.

Ebay has some great cases that you could look at. I did a review on the Cimo case a while back that I picked up from Ebay and even those the case doesn't offer superior drop protection it is a great case. My case even fitted a little loose, after putting my skin on it was ideal.

Are you looking for a more "grippy" case or something with drop protection?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.