Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141119-tron_iad.jpg

Ad Age reports that the first iAd for the iPad will debut today in the form of an advertisement for the Disney film "Tron Legacy" premiering in theaters this weekend. According to the report, it is the only iPad-specific iAd scheduled for release before the end of the year.
The format, designed to maximize the ad potential of Apple's tablet computer, will be launched widely in early 2011 when other ads start flowing onto the platform.

Like its iPhone and iPod Touch predecessors, the first iPad iAd is chock-full of the rich graphics, touch navigation and video native to apps. The full-screen "Tron" ad, which will run in iPad apps such as TV Guide, includes close to 10 minutes of video, images from the movie, a theater locator with showtimes, and a preview of the movie soundtrack with the option to purchase on iTunes without leaving the ad. For the first time in any iAd, users will also be able to send email straight from within the ad.
Apple brought iAd compatibility to the iPad with the release of iOS 4.2 late last month, but production of the ads, which remains under the tight control of Apple, has taken some time to bring iPad-specific ads to market.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been Disney's largest individual shareholder since the media and entertainment company acquired animation studio Pixar in 2006. Jobs holds a seat on Disney's board of directors, and Apple and Disney have worked closely together in the past, likely smoothing the way for "Tron Legacy" to serve as the debut iAd for iPad.

Article Link: 'Tron Legacy' to Premiere as First iAd for iPad

Bizzways

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Daft Punk here we come...

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
excuse my ignorance...

But, when does someone see these ads? when browsing the web? I think you'd see a website's ads, not apple's ads, right? Just not sure I get it. Same goes for phone iAds - when exactly do these show up? I don't know that I've ever seen one. maybe? I just have no idea.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

U know
I liked the bestbuy iAd

And I hate worst buy

The word on the street is Tron sucks

daddywags214

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

U know
I liked the bestbuy iAd

And I hate worst buy

Aw, come on, we worked hard on it... :rolleyes:

headsupftw

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
But, when does someone see these ads? when browsing the web? I think you'd see a website's ads, not apple's ads, right? Just not sure I get it. Same goes for phone iAds - when exactly do these show up? I don't know that I've ever seen one. maybe? I just have no idea.

Not when browsing the web. You see iAds when you use free iPhone/iPad apps that support iAds.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento

daddywags214 said:

U know
I liked the bestbuy iAd

And I hate worst buy

Aw, come on, we worked hard on it... :rolleyes:

I didn't see it / just what I've heard

What did u work on?

daddywags214

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC

What did u work on?

I'm a roto/paint artist at Digital Domain... I'm part of the team that integrates live action in the CG environments.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

iAds are part of the iOS developer API. Basically you designate a region on the interface of your application to display an iAd. The developer does not need to go find advertisers -- they are simply providing the advertising space (their app). Then when the device sees that the region is suppose to display an iAd, the Apple device talks to the Apple servers and says "given this user's demographics (e.g.: past purchases, gender, age), give me the best iAd to be displayed to them".

Apple then charges the advertiser for the advertising impression and pays the developer a cut of that.

So you will only see iAds in apps that support iAds. The apps from media giants typically don't use iAds since they have contracts with their own advertisers. Some developers already have an arrangement with AdMob to obtain advertisers and choose not to use iAd, but iAd makes it really really easy for an app developer to offer apps that monetized by advertising.

I hope that explains it.

daddywags214

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Sounds uncool, no disrespect to you sharty, i just don't need ads.

Of course we don't need ads, but free content will almost always be ad-supported (things like Wikipedia being the exception). iAds like this carry the potential to make ads less intrusive, more relevant, and more interesting to boot. That's why I think it's cool. Naturally, my favorite free aps will be those that aren't ad-supported, but people seem to like this money stuff. ;-)

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

louis Fashion said:
Then don't use any free apps. Nothing uncool about it.

Right, a 10 min Vid yacking about TRON is just a bit more than "supporting a free ap" Again no disrespect, although you...headsupftw, appear to be borderline trollish.

Then don't click on the ad. You know iAds only come up if you click on them...

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Ad-subsidized iPads and iPhones in the future?

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple eventually cut the cost of iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad for customers willing to put up with ads. They could do that because they own the iAd infrastructure as well as iOS and the hardware designs.

This is different than the TV model, where consumers buy the hardware and still have to put up with commercials. Because TV hardware makers don't own the ad infrastructure. Sure, Sony creates TV commercials for that products that you see on your Sony TV. But Sony can't subsidize their TV hardware with their TV ads. They pay the TV networks to show their ads just like everyone else.

In contrast, Apple gets paid for iAds. They could theoretically use that money to subsidize their iOS devices. Including, of course, Apple TV. I think that's why it takes so long to create iAd content, why it's apparently so expensive to do, and why Apple insists on such tight control of the whole process. Ultimately Apple (and their clients) will want iAds to look good on all screen sizes from 3.5" iPhones to 60"+ HDTV screens.

And, of course, once iAd starts to take off on iOS, it will inevitably find its way back to Mac OS. My wild guess is that we'll see iAd-subsidized Mac apps by the Mac OS X 10.7 timeframe if not sooner.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Mattie Num Nums said:
You can put a ribbon on a turd but its still a turd. An ads and ad.

And ads are part of life, so I guess if I have to have a trud, I want it polished....

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
iAds are part of the iOS developer API. Basically you designate a region on the interface of your application to display an iAd. The developer does not need to go find advertisers -- they are simply providing the advertising space (their app). Then when the device sees that the region is suppose to display an iAd, the Apple device talks to the Apple servers and says "given this user's demographics (e.g.: past purchases, gender, age), give me the best iAd to be displayed to them".

Apple then charges the advertiser for the advertising impression and pays the developer a cut of that.

So you will only see iAds in apps that support iAds. The apps from media giants typically don't use iAds since they have contracts with their own advertisers. Some developers already have an arrangement with AdMob to obtain advertisers and choose not to use iAd, but iAd makes it really really easy for an app developer to offer apps that monetized by advertising.

I hope that explains it.

Hmm... Thanks. I don't really use any free aps (or at least very few of them), so I guess that explains my ignorance. I use a lot of aps, but I've found that the free ones are usually not worth the price you pay. I suppose there are a few exceptions, but...

Anyway, I wonder how effective any ad campaign would be as you're really targeting a narrow slice of the population - people who have a iPhone AND use a lot of free/ad-supported aps. Who are those people? At the end of a day, ad campaigns are only effective if it gets people to buy what you're selling.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't like the idea of ads on my apps. Websites is cool. Apps is a serious no go. I'm disappointed in this Apple.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I don't like the idea of ads on my apps. Websites is cool. Apps is a serious no go. I'm disappointed in this Apple.

Guessing you haven't seen the crap ads on Android phones. Half the time my brother can't even play Angery Birds because part of the playing screen is blocked by an ad...

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento

daddywags214 said:

What did u work on?

I'm a roto/paint artist at Digital Domain... I'm part of the team that integrates live action in the CG environments.

That's cool. Well good luck to your firm

I watched the first one recently - not the same impact when I was a kid lol

daddywags214

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC

If Apple didn't allow ads, there would be almost no free ads. Large companies that have alternative means of revenue might still produce free apps, but Apple has created a new, huge market for independent and smaller developers. That's a good thing! We have a diverse App Store as the result. But if you take away the financial incentives, people just won't develop for the platform.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm finding iAds to be some of the least intrusive ads. The banners take up very little space. I don't have to click on them, but it's inviting to see what kind of interface they've designed. Just because I see an ad and click on it doesn't mean I have to buy the product.

That said, the Tron ad looks nearly identical to the app that's already been available for the iPhone. That app is ridiculously huge (about 1/2 gb) and features surprisingly little content. It'll be interesting to see how much of that content (if any) is in the new ad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.