Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaylsxox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I just got the new iPod touch with the camera; not sure what generation it is, as I'm not that tech savvy. But my mom refuses to get wifi in the house so I'm left without it, therefore my apps are rather useless... So I was wondering if there's any possible (easy!) way to connect my ipod and get a working internet connection through my computer, with a USB plugged into my ipod ? I have a mac computer btw:)

isababa12

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
I know there's this one way to connect it to the internet.

Do you have a Netbook or smartphone though?

Try going to a friends house, jailbreak your iTouch and then download a software called 3G Tethering. I never tried it, but I think if you connect blue tooth to your iTouch you're iTouch will use your netbook or smartphone's internet.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
you dont need to jailbreak at all

all you need to do is share the ethernet internet connection into your mac through the wifi of the mac, to make the mac a (protected) wifi hotspot.

http://lifehacker.com/283088/share-your-macs-internet-connection-wirelessly
or watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzmVPC3VfLk

only problem is it only uses WEP which is the worst encryption ever (WPA and WPA2 should be used), so I wouldnt do any internet banking on it (use the pc for that) or other sensitive data on it, but internet surfing and app downloads/playing will be fine.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I just got the new iPod touch with the camera; not sure what generation it is, as I'm not that tech savvy. But my mom refuses to get wifi in the house so I'm left without it, therefore my apps are rather useless... So I was wondering if there's any possible (easy!) way to connect my ipod and get a working internet connection through my computer, with a USB plugged into my ipod ? I have a mac computer btw:)

If your Mac has an internet connection, and it has built-in WiFi (only some MacPro's and some very old Macs don't) then you're fine. To use WiFi, you need a WiFi router. What your mother means is that she will not buy a WiFi router, but the Macintosh can actually serve as a WiFi router just fine.

First do a search on Google for "Mac WiFi without router", there are actually a few Youtube videos that will show you what to do. That way you can set up a WiFi network at home without buying a WiFi router. Next you need to tell the Macintosh to share the Internet, you do that by turning on "Internet Sharing" in "System Preferences" / "Sharing" on the Macintosh. Set your iPod Touch to connect to that network, that's it.

And forget about the "jailbreaking" that was suggested. It won't help you. It cannot possibly help. You need a WiFi network connected to the Internet at home, and the steps above will get that. With a WiFi network, the iPod Touch will get internet access just fine. Without the WiFi network, jailbreaking is not going to help you at all.

BASRification

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
Texas
So if I understand correctly, you have an Ethernet cable going into the iMac but no WiFi in your household? Your iMac has built-in WiFi, so you want to set up something called an "ad-hoc network." Just do a Google search and you should easily figure out how to set this up on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.